Hardware for sending IR commands?

Are you having issues with MQTT at the Arduino ? Or in OpenHAB …Because they are totally linked …If you follow the tutorial with homeautomationforgeeks.com …It’ll take you through it …I struggled for a long time till I had an aha moment …I’ll post what worked for me on the Arduino side and what worked for me on the OpenHAB side …One thing your going to need is a MQTT monitor …I use mqttfx on my PC and MQTT tool on my IPad

1 Like

@jade7272 I like to add MQTT-Spy to that list as a very good monitoring and testing tool for MQTT traffic

Depends a bit on exactly what you want to do. I have a Logitech Harmony Hub and the corresponding binding, works like a charm.

I know this post is quite old, but I’m looking at buying an IR blaster and wondering which one to get.

Reading Amazon reviews, it looks like Logitech still haven’t improved the software of their Harmony remotes since the days when I had their flagship Harmony remote (square’ish one with LCD). What is more, it appears that Logitech have broken their API by some security update (December 2018), rendering the Harmony Hub useless for OH. Can any Harmony Hub owners confirm or deny if this is now the case please?

T, A.

Hi @dries, Which model did you go for? I have looked as these and they seem to be fairly robust, compared to Harmony Hub and BroadLink - which both have their fair share of negative reviews on Amazon.

Do they provide any form of feedback or would someone operating the original remote break the sequence and confuse OH?

Thanks,

A.

It still is possible to use Harmony Hub with OH.
You have the possibility to update your firmware to a “beta developer firmware”. Version 4.15.210.

Logitech also announced that they also will provide a new firmware with an users choice to use local API.

The developer of openhab harmony binding announced also to change access from XMPP to Websocket.

I use a global cache for that, there is a binding for that in openhab and I’m very happy with it.
A global cache flex for example

There’s also a binding for IRtrans nowadays.

So I think the complete list of bindings that can be used for sending IR commands is nowadays:

2 Likes

I can recommand the Broadlink devices, there is the “Black Bean” which is about 15$, it does IR, and there is the RM Pro it can do IR&RF commands and is about 35$
The binding in OH is working stable now thanks to “John”, see:
https://dl.bintray.com/themillhousegroup/generic/org.openhab.binding.broadlink-2.4.0-BETA-11.jar

Ray

1 Like

I bought these 2 years ago:
IRT-LAN-DB - IRTrans Ethernet Device with IR Database
POW-SUP - Plug-type switching power supply (100-240V~, Euro-connector)

The IR Database makes sure your Irtrans can remember some IR commands. Don’t know why this isn’t standard.

Hello Friends,
I would like to control multiple IR devices located in separate rooms using OpenHAB.

Can OpenHAB be configured to send IR commands using an IR repeater for multiple IR devices (see link)?
It doesn’t have to be this particular IR repeater.

Yes, but you still need an IR transmitter. Just join tape the transmitter to the repeater receiver.

Openhab > IR Transmitter > IR Repeater > Devices

An IR repeater is agnostic to the IR signal it receives and simply passes the signal on from receiver to transmitter.

1 Like

ZMOTE: Is doesn’t seem like you can buy these anymore.