Haseman RS-10PM2 Z-Wave device not detected

Trying to add this Z-Wave device (Haseman RS-10PM2) to OpenHAB, I see that the device is not known for OpenHAB (says “unknown device”). I remember having asked to add this device in the past, so I assumed the device wasn’t added.

Taking a peek at the Z-Wave Device Database I was surprised to see there actually was an entry for the device (OpenSmartHouse Z-Wave Device Database) ! So I am a bit stuck now. Can anybody advise me on how to proceed ?

There could be confusion, as there also exists an “RS-10PM” (which I assume is an older version of the RS-10PM2 ) and I see some references in the text of the Z-Wave DB to RS-10PM, but that doesn’t necessarily need to be a problem. I have the node.xml of my device at my disposal (see attachment).

Either way, I don’t know how to proceed… what can I do to make it recognize my device ?
I know that @Bruce_Osborne was an expert on that topic, maybe you know what to do, Bruce ?

Thank you for guiding me !

Kind regards,

David.
network_node_6.xml (28.5 KB)

Is there a way that I can play around locally to try and make this work and then be able to commit the results to the ZWave DB ?
Where can I find guidelines or more info on this topic ?

Or maybe @chris knows ?

It is possible to edit the JAR file to add an XML for a new device. There is a tutorial on how to do this written by Scott 5iver -:

This is very old, but it’s still applicable.

1 Like

With some detective work, it appears the device was added in April 2021, but modified (and not marked for review) in Jan 2022, so has been missing from the binding since then. I marked it for review, so it should reappear in the binding with the next update.

With database access you can use the “export OH2 XML” and edit the jar as noted above. FYI- I recently updated the Jar modify instructions here. Update ZWave binding with new/updated device xml - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

1 Like

Thank you, but it all seems a little complex to me, so I’ll be needing to ask some questions.

About your instructions: The first task is to get the modified XML to your local machine. After making your changes in the ZW device DB and tapping “Request Review” on the Overview tab, use the gear icon to “EXPORT OH2 XML”. Copy the contents to a local xml file.

==> I assume you are talking about the XML export of this ? OpenSmartHouse Z-Wave Device Database

It seems I would be able to make changes and see a gear icon to export OH2 XML ? I am not able to make any changes and I don’t see a gear icon in the website… Am I looking at the wrong place ? Doing something wrong ? (see screenshot below)

Many thanks !

After registering you have to open a ticket to get write access. See if this works in the zwaveme directory.
rs-10pm_0_0.xml (13.3 KB)

1 Like

Thank you. Raised a ticket in the mean time.
As I am running docker, it was a bit harder to find, but I found “org.openhab.binding.zwave.-4.0.3.jar”

I have your XML file, which I am supossed to update in that jar file, using “jar”. As I am relatively new to all this, these newbie questions:

• As I’m running Docker, how can I open a terminal/window from Docker to be able to run this command ? I don’t know how to open a console for OpenHAB using Docker, to run “openhab-cli” for example.
  • Reading up on SSH for OpenHAB, but failed to connect so far
  • Or what Java should I install on Ubuntu to be able perform the correct command ?

Many thanks for your support !

Kind regards,

David.

I’m a docker noob, so don’t know. My suggestion is to pull the jar out of docker and handle outside in Ubuntu. I think either jdk 11 or 17 will work, just not jre, as that doesn’t have the jar utility.

Then it is a little more like the older method.

1. uninstall ui zwave
  2. in console feature:install openhab-transport-serial
  3. drop modified jar in the addons folder
  4. wait 30 seconds and pray :wink:

Well, I took another approach, I stopped the docker container of openHAB and installed a virtual machine using QEMU KVM, with Debian 12 and OpenHABian. I got it working and could redirect the Zwave USB to the VM.

I can follow all instructions, except the very final one: it says error executing command: /home/openhabian/jarmodify/org.openhab.binding.zwave-4.0.3.jar (Permission denied) when trying to update the bundle.

I’m really close to give it a go, so if you can help me out here ?
If that doesn’t work, I’ll stop OpenHAB and copy the new jar instead of the old one.

Thanks for your help !

Part 2:As I couldn’t wait (lol) (still would love the instructions to work for me though), I stopped the OpenHAB service and overwrote the existing jar, but nothing much happened: the new device is still not recognized. Maybe I did something wrong… any suggestions are welcome ! How can I evaluate whether the device references are correct for example ?

• Manufacturer: 0x115
  • deviceid: 0x1111
  • devicetype : 0xf111
    vs
  • property name=“vendor”>Z-Wave.Me</property
  • property name=“modelId”>RS-10PM2</property
  • property name=“manufacturerId”>0115</property
  • property name=“manufacturerRef”>F111:1111</property ==> is it supposed to be like that or the other way around ? 1111:F111 ?
  • property name=“dbReference”>1375</property

Did you delete the device (do not exclude) and scan again?

Yes I did, removed the thing and did a new scan… still unknown device.

How can I make sure the jar got correctly modified ?

I have this zip utility that can look into the jar. I’m not sure of the right term, but the XMLs are readable.

Edit:

The unknown node6 has the numbers that the device advertises. The order is TYPE:ID

So what can I do ?

I did have a bit of a problem with the XML (renamed incorrectly) and tried to change after uploading. What was the file name you had in the `/things/zwaveme folder before the merge?

The filename is how you sent it to me: zwaveme_rs-10pm_0_00.xml

the devicename is rs-10pm2 technically, not rs-10pm and the manufacturer is called Haseman and not zwaveme … don’t know if this label helps: 0115:F111:1111:2.16

My bad. Rename it to rs-10pm_0_0.xml

1 Like

so should it be rs-10pm or rs-10pm2 ?
the latter being the correct name, but perhaps incorrectly stored in XML ?

the unique ID in the DB is currently rs-10pm, although the device name is rs-10pm2. For now it won’t matter, but once it gets updated (officially in the binding) it could cause problems.

Was this updating the jar with the xml or in the console with bundle:update xxx? Maybe with docker the permissions get created differently. The idea I had with using Home directory was that it had permissions for your user. You could try sudo jar …

1 Like

Unfortunately it didn’t work with the XML rename.

Regarding the updating, that was in the openhab console, doing the bundle update. I’m not working in Docker in this particular case, I’m working in a VM for testing purposes. I did see that openhabian user had other rights than my personal user.

Hmm I’m going to have to step away. Also need to think about what is going wrong. I just had another OP use the procedure. Can you unzip the jar and see if the xml is there? Also in the console what does bundle:list |grep ZWave look like?