Have to start over hardware wise, looking for ideas

Am i missing something, or AdGuardHome can be installed on a good router like Keenetic or Microtic with no need of additional hardware?

I don’t know anything about Keenetic or Microtic. All I do know is that it will run on FreeBSD (unlike PiHole which is inextricably tied to Linux) and there is a third party plugin for OPNsense to install it. If Keenetic or Microtic run a somewhat standard Linux or FreeBSD it might work. AdGurdHome is just software written in Go. There is no specific hardware requirement that I’m aware of.

I followed the instructions at AdGuard Home setup guide to get it up and running on OPNsense which is FreeBSD based (one of the things I love bout both OPNsense and pfSense). I’ve kept Unbound active so my local hosts are picked up in dns queries without configuring them in AdGuardHome.

So Unbound has Coudflare’s DNS servers as its upstream and AdBlockHome has Unbound as it’s upstream. Both are on the gateway OPNsense machine so there’s only the single point of failure instead of two points of failure with PiHole.

Digged a bit. Yep almost everything from opnsense and adguard is working on at least keenetic routers out-of-box.