Having trouble starting Openhab 3 on Ubuntu after new install

• Platform information:

• Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage PC/Core I7 being used as a server (On 24/7)/24GB Ram/500GB SSD for System/10TB Hard Drive for data (Being backed up regularly)
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version Openjdk 11.0.9.1
  • openHAB version:3.0

• Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue: Starting Openhab

• Please post configurations (if applicable):

• Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:

Hello All;
I have just installed openhab 3 on ubuntu 20.00 LTS. I think I installed everything correctly because I am able to type openhab-cli and I get a list of commands. However, when I type the command to start Openhab (Ie. Sudo openhab-cli start) nothing happens but I don’t get an error. I actually get another message saying that I have another instance of Openhab running so I think the start command is being executed at startup. How do I get the user interface to be displayed so I can begin exploring how to add and modify configuration files? Just for reference, I an a beginner at Ubuntu and am not a programmer by trade. However, I’d love to learn how to use the configuration files rather than the gui to challenge myself :-). Thanks. Tim

With

sudo systemctl status openhab

you can check if your instance is running.
If it is running you can connect to it using your browser: http://IPofOH:8080/
Things, Items that can be configured via file can be found in /etc/openhab/things resp. items.
this also can be done via the browser.
All that is described in more details at Getting Started - Introduction | openHAB and e.g. Things | openHAB

You ask about the UI to configure files. Do you want to access the above mentioned folders from another computer then you may need to make sure that Samba service is running to export these folders.

Thanks Wolfgang_S;
The systemctl status command shows that Openhab is running.

Can you tell me how to determine the IP address of Openhab ? I was thinking that information may be provided with the Systemctl command but I don’t see any IP addresses listed in it.

And yes I may need to access the above mentioned folders remotely so I will look into making sure the Samba service is running.

Tim

What’s the IP address of your server? That’s your answer. Openhab listens on port 8080. So as @Wolfgang_S says:

Thanks;
I get the message (As I did previously) …

Hmmm We’re having trouble connecting to that site.

We can’t connect to the server at ipofoh.

Any thoughts?

Tim

Just to check - what is the internal IP address of your server? Presumably you substituted ipofoh with the actual IP address?

That’s what I’m trying to determine. Can someone tell me how to determine the IP of my server? I seem to recall I used ipconfig a while back but ubuntu doesn’t seem to recognize that this time.

Tim

OK, so you don’t know the IP address of your server. How are you checking the status of openHAB in the first place? Did you SSH in?

The equivalent to ipconfig is ifconfig.

As just posted you can use ifconfig from the command line to check the ip address of your server. In addition you can use ‘netstat -a’ to list all active network connections and look for a line like:

tcp4       0      0 *.8080                 *.*                    LISTEN

OK I got my IP from the Network settings but when I open a browser and replace the ipofoh with the ipv4 address, I get the message no such file or directory. Could I have forgotten to perform an install step or to configure my new ubuntu system properly?

I know it’s running because I get the status …

openhab.service - openHAB - empowering the smart home
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openhab.service; enabled; vendor prese>
Active: active (running) since Sun 2021-01-31 23:19:12 EST; 6h ago
Docs: https://www.openhab.org/docs/
https://community.openhab.org
Main PID: 3319 (java)
Tasks: 106 (limit: 38282)
Memory: 723.7M
CGroup: /system.slice/openhab.service
└─3319 /usr/bin/java -XX:-UsePerfData -Dopenhab.home=/usr/share/op>

Tim

Success at last ! I used Ifconfig and got the IP and then opened a browser and entered the IP followed by :8080 and I got an Openhab login screen so I’m good now for a while until I have more questions. Hopefully I will be able to figure things out from here for a while until I need help again but it’s great you all are here. Thanks all who offered help and suggestions to get me started.

Tim