Helios Binding for Modbus TCP

Hi kl8ter,

the binding does work also in OH2. All I had to do was copy it to the addons folder and enter an entry in sevices/openhab.cfg with
helios:host=<your device's local IP address>
Also you need to set legacy = true in services/addons.cfg.

Hope that helps!

Hi,

this works perfect for me, great work - even if it is quite old already.

I didn’t add the “legacy=true” in addons.cfg. What is the purpose of it?

Thanks, I’m happy it’s helpful to you.
Actually, that’s also a bit of the problem - it works well for me so I’ve not really gathered the motivation to tackle an openhab2 version of the binding :wink:
The legacy=true setting should tell openhab to allow openhab 1.x bindings. But maybe that’s only applicable for the standard ones, not external ones

I just installed the binding (https://github.com/bern77/org.openhab.binding.helios/tree/master/_release) and did some first tests. The connection works and values are received, operation mode can be set to manual and automatic.
Thank you for the great work and for providing this.

So far, I found one issue:

• I set the operation mode to manual with a switch widget in happanel
  • this works well and in the KWL webpage I can see that the mode was changed to manual
  • but with a next regular update of the status values, the operation mode item is set back to automatic
  • in the KWL webpage it stays at manual
  • the behavior is completely reproducible in my setup

Logs:
2019-01-12 15:35:44.258 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘KWL_Manuell’ received command ON
2019-01-12 15:35:44.264 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Manuell changed from OFF to ON
2019-01-12 15:36:35.364 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Temp_Aussenluft changed from 4.4 to 4.5
2019-01-12 15:36:36.856 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Manuell changed from ON to OFF
2019-01-12 15:36:37.100 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Zuluft_RPM changed from 1602 to 1598
2019-01-12 15:36:37.357 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Abluft_RPM changed from 1640 to 1635
2019-01-12 15:36:37.862 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Temp_Zuluft changed from 18.7 to 18.8

Do you have an idea what could be the problem?

I found some time to debug into this and could identify the problem.
Please find a pull request here: https://github.com/bern77/org.openhab.binding.helios/pull/1 and feel free to integrate if you agree.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Martin! Much appreciated!
I’ve just merged your fixes.

Is it possible to also get the state of the Bypass?
I could not find it in the variable mappings.

Please use the following binding definition for a Switch item - this should provide the bypass status:
{ helios="summer_winter" }

I implemented it like this:

Switch KWL_Bypass "Status Bypass [%s]" { helios="summer_winter" }
Text item=KWL_Bypass

But unfortunately the status does not change 

Or is this not a status but a command to actively change the bypass?

Can it be that this phenomenon is also in the long run?
If I choose a duration, it will jump back to 60min after the next update.

In the first instance, I would disable autoupdate for these Items. To stop autoupdate assigning Item status in response to command, which you don’t want when you are polling true status from a modbus device. You should get a better view of what is really happening.

Thx rossko57,
but that was not the solution.

, autoupdate="false"

What does your events.log show now, though? It’s a diagnostic move, not a solution.

2019-04-25 13:39:16.277 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘KWL_Partybetrieb_Dauer’ received command 180

In event.log no further entry is set where it has been changed back to 60min. But in sitemap is changed immediately to 60min.

Which suggests the command did not get sent to the device or was ignored by the device or old read values are stuck in the binding.

You are running the updated binding from January? I don’t know anything else about Helios.

Yes I use the new binding.

I have now deleted my cache and tmp folder after stopping Openhab. It works after the reboot.
Thank you for your help rossko57.

But that with the status of the bypass does not work yet.

My apologies, apparently I’m using my own binding wrong
 :slightly_frowning_face:
Since I don’t actually actively do anything with the KWL’s bypass functionality, I never noticed this.

But I’ve just checked the Helios specification and the summer_winter variable actually only shows if it’s summer or winter time.

The bypass itself can’t be activated or deactivated directly. You can only control its functionality via time or temperature based settings.
While I can’t find any variables that would control the time based settings (which means you have to set this via the KWL’s web interface), you can set a room temperature (bypass_room_temp) or minimum outside temperature (bypass_min_outside_temp) which trigger the bypass to open.

Sorry for any confusion I caused. I hope that helps!

Since I was happy too early.
That was not the solution, I have the phenomenon again.

Logfile:
Item changed by me:

2019-04-26 09:31:04.510 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'KWL_Partybetrieb_Dauer' received command 120
2019-04-26 09:31:13.523 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Partybetrieb_Dauer changed from 60 to 120

Item changes itself:

2019-04-26 09:31:52.336 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Partybetrieb_Dauer changed from 120 to 60

Then again changed by me but with start command.

2019-04-26 09:32:04.611 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'KWL_Partybetrieb_Dauer' received command 120
2019-04-26 09:32:04.636 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Partybetrieb_Dauer changed from 60 to 120
2019-04-26 09:32:09.950 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'KWL_Partybetrieb' received command ON
2019-04-26 09:32:13.411 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Partybetrieb changed from OFF to ON

Then again by itself

2019-04-26 09:33:09.843 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - KWL_Partybetrieb_Dauer changed from 120 to 60

And then the party mode is activated for 60min even though I have selected 120min.
No matter what duration I choose. The (Partybetrieb) party operation is always started for 60min.

Hi bern77

Where ist the openhab.cfg File in openhabian (OH2)? I can’t find the directory.

Thank you for your help.