HELP! Big trouble with ZRAM and Read Only File System

Another question came up: is this the correct location for setting up Amanda? It seems light on the initial setting up of the device so I’m just not sure how best to start. I have a USB SD card reader device (I presume it can write as well because it was marketed as a backup device). I found these instructions: https://raspberrytips.com/usb-card-reader-raspberry-pi/ but before doing anything, I wanted to make sure I was on the right path. If I understand the Amanda documentation, I need to have the device mounted and then I can configure Amanda. Correct or am I off track yet another time?

Sigh. Will the questions ever end???

Bravely moved the new RPi, put it on the UPS, completely retired the old RPi (I will find a use for it but at the moment I just want to simplify things!) No keyboard/screen but I have it handy if I need it. For now, Putty is working fine. Still left is Amanda, although I did do a config backup before moving the box. Been running off the new box since early today, without problem.

I really think the chapter is closing on this challenge!

Unless the machine doesn’t boot and come on the network, there is nothing you can’t do with PuTTY. It’s basically like sitting at the machine when all you have is the terminal and no graphical interface.

If you are on the same LAN your iPad can reach the RPi with no changes. Please please please don’t port forward anything as that exposes the machine to the Internet and it’s a big job and big and ongoing responsibility to do that safely.

If you need to be able to ssh to the RPi when you are not on your LAN, use Tailscale (can be installed from the openhabian-config menu on the RPi, from the app store on the iPad). That will set up a VPN and does not require any port forwarding.

openhabian-config will update everything.

I don’t use Amanda. But in general, you have to have a place to back up to. There has. to be some other storage where the backups live. What ever that external storage is, it need to be mounted to the RPi so Amanda and read/write/delete on the backups.