Help controlling Wall AC Units

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry PI 3B+
    • Java Runtime Environment: zulu 9
    • openHAB version: 2.2

I am brand new to openHAB. I have the main interface up and running and have added my devices. My goal is to create a thermostat that I can use to control my in-wall AC units.

I already added 2 switch outlets and a temperature sensor.

I am able to switch the units on and off via switch widget on the dashboard. I can also setup a timer that turns them on or off based on the time.

What I really need is read the temp sensor and compare that to my target temperature and if the temperature is higher, trigger the switches to turn on or off.

I thought about using a knob on the dashboard to set the target but I do not know how to make the rule read the value of the knob.

So my question is this, can the rule read the knob value and if not, how do i accomplish my goal?

What is your item definition?
And what do you mean by dashboard? Which UI?

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by “item definition”.

I am using the habpanel UI

How did you create your item?

I have been using the Panel UI to setup things, items and rules etc.

I created a manual item called AC_TargetTemp.

What is it controlling?
What thing and binding?

The two wall AC Units are each plugged in to a Z-Wave Switch. I already have a manual switch working on the dashboard. I can turn on or off each wall unit.

The AC_TargetTemp isn’t bound to anything. it isn’t a device, it is just a Number that I created

I need a dial or widget or something so I can set the target temp and have the rule turn the switches on/off based on that value.

There is a knob widget in habpanel