HELP! Drowning Beginner Here! Where is my UUID info?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: iMac (2011), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1333 MHz DDR3
    • Java Runtime Environment: Java for macOS 2017-001
    • openHAB version: ?
  • Issue of the topic: Am trying to set up an account, where do I find the UUID, Local URL and Remote URL info necessary to do so?
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:

An account for what?

I would guess that myopenhab is meant. :slight_smile:

Here you can find all setup information:

https://docs.openhab.org/addons/ios/openhabcloud/readme.html

Ah :blush:
I did set that up once, but have never felt the need for it.
I’m using nginx to access my site map.

Thanks Ole and Jerome for getting back to me. This is what scares me slightly about Developers - I have no idea what ngunix is, other than a very-dodgy-sounding Scrabble submission. :slight_smile: However, as an Absolute Beginner here, I do have the advantage of remembering how to write “Standard English” so I’ll offer my services to help you with your documentation, because God Knows you need it! I’ve been hammering away at this all night, and I still cannot get my two LED wifi lights to work.

OMG… I just clicked the link Jermone kindly gave me, and this was the first paragraph:

openHAB Cloud Connector
The openHAB Cloud Connector allows connecting the local openHAB runtime to a remote openHAB Cloud instance, such as myopenHAB.org, which is an instance of the openHAB Cloud service hosted by the openHAB Foundation.

What in God’s name does all that mean…? If you Guys explain it to me, I’ll explain it to everyone else :slight_smile:

OK… I’ve worked out that the openHAB Cloud Connector is an app!

It’s an app that enables me to connect to… all the other places mentioned in that paragraph, plus running stuff remotely… OK :slight_smile:

Where do I find this app? I can’t find a link, or anything. It just tells me what to do once I’ve downloaded the app, but I can’t find the app…

http://youlocalLANip:8080/paperui/index.html#/extensions?tab=misc

Just out of curiosity, is you openHAB up and running locally on your iMAC?
You just want to access it from outside your LAN? (ie the internet)

Thanks :slight_smile: I wish! I can’t seem to get it to work - it’s a good deal more complicated than I imagined, all this!!

But the upgrade from iPhone 6 to 8 seems to have had a bad effect on the two LED lights in my home music studio. I’ve been trying all week - cannot for the life get them to connect. That’s all I’m trying to do with openHAB.

The iP 6 was fine… So today I started going through the other “Tuya-like” apps for iOS out there, which is how I came across openHAB. But I can’t seem to get my head around how to install this properly. Those folders you reference - the var/lib etc etc - nothing there, except a folder called Postfix which only has one item in it… None of the other apps work either, have written to Tuya about it, hope you Guys can point me in the right direction…?

Sorry Ole - that link is dead, or at least it’s not connecting me.

And your website has an annoying habit of changing every page/instance open to follow whichever page I most recently opened, don’t know if anyone’s noticed that…? So if I’ve got this conversation open in one tab, when I click on a link to open it, for some reason it replaces the conversation tab with another instance of the link, so I end up with 2 link tabs open and no conversation :slight_smile:

I should clarify ‘when i click on a link to open it in a fresh tab’

It would really help if you could post a link to the actual WiFi LEDs in question.

Well, if you look closely, you will have to change the ‘youlocalLANip’ with the IP address of the host you are running openHAB on, but openHAB will have to be up and running.
The myopenhab connector is installed from the (local) openHAB paperUI WEB page.

In general, for openHAB to be able to control anything on your WiFi (ie LAN) an appropriate binding must exist for that particular item (ie your LED lights)
https://docs.openhab.org/addons/bindings.html

If you don’t find a binding, you can still use some other general http bindings, but you will need the API for your lights.

I don’t think that you will find openHAB an easy shortcut for replacing a broken iPhone APP, but if you hang in there and learn, it can be quite rewarding.

Recommended reading: https://docs.openhab.org/installation/index.html

We need to level set. Have you gone through the Beginner’s Tutorial?

Have you scanned through, at a minimum, the Concepts section of the User’s Manual.

The docs, in particular when looking at docs about a specific aspect of OH, assume a certain base understanding (obtained from the Beginner’s Tutorial and the Concepts and Configuration sections of the User’s Manual). We can’t reproduce every single detail in every single article.

The opening sentence of the openHAB Cloud Connector sentence is indeed a little overly self-referential. Said another way:

openHAB supports a cloud server called openHAB Cloud. This server enables secure access from your openHAB instance and remote clients (e.g. the phone apps). The openHAB Foundation runs and provides access to an instance of openHAB Cloud that you may use free of charge.

In order for your openHAB instance to connect to an openHAB Cloud instance, one must install and configure the openHAB Cloud Connector add-on.

With the assumption that you have been through the Beginner’s Tutorial and basic concepts of the User’s Guide you should know how to find and install an add-on.

What are these lights? What technology do they use? I’m not saying that OH might not work, but why do you think it will work with OH over what you were using before?

Unfortunately, Mac and Windows users are the minority of OH users. Most people run OH on a Linux platform so most of the paths that people will post in responses to threads will be the Linux installed location paths. Since Mac and Windows do not have an installed version of OH, your paths will be different. See

https://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#file-locations

and for Mac, assuming you followed the Mac installation instructions, replace the “/opt/” in the right hand column with “~openhab”. So, for example, if someone posts a file path to /var/lib/openhab2 the equivalent folder for you on the Mac would be ~openhab/userdata. The table I linked to above needs to be added to the Mac article.

What Ole didn’t make explicit is you need to replace “youloclaLANip” with the IP address of your Mac where you have OH running. So if you are on your Mac you can use http://localhost:8080/paperui/index#extensions?tab=misc. If not you need to use the hostname or IP address of the Mac.

Excellent! Thank you Rikoshak! I love it when the Boss turns up and explains everything.

To confirm your fears, no I haven’t read the Concepts, nor the complete Beginners’ Tutorial. As I said, I was just trying to set up an account so that I could access everything and everyone, and immediately came a cropper on the issue of the UUID etc. I have to admit, despite all the info you’ve all so kindly given me, I’m still far from clear how to actually go about this. I am an absolute beginner in this field, I’m a musician first, a tekkie a very poor 2nd LOL…

Yep, as i feared - this is not going well.

For whatever reason, what I download isn’t zipped, it arrives unzipped. Consequently, Terminal is telling me it can’t either find OR unzip the latest stable version (2.2.0), and subsequent attempts using the various options as I understood them, have resulted in Terminal failing to recognise any of the commands I was copying and pasting in. Moving the folder manually from Downloads to the openhab folder in my Users folder doesn’t seem to help…

I’m hardly a boss. My contributions to the community are just focused on helping new users get up and running and helping users with Rules.

First, it looks like you are looking for a quick fix and I’m sad to say OH is not going to be that. I’ve said this numerous times on the forum: Home Automation is hard. Every vendor has their own walled garden of products and sometimes, when they are feeling magnanimous, will open a window or a door here or there to allow software or devices outside the walled garden to interact. Then you have the fun with standards. Every company wants their standard to become THE standard so we are awash in overlapping standards that don’t inter-operate with each other.

Remember how everyone gets pissed off at Sony because they always reinvent their own version of everything (minidisk, memory stick, etc). In home automation multiply that frustration by a million.

Enter openHAB. openHAB is an attempt to bridge between the myriad of all the home automation standards out there. At last count it supports over 300 technologies and APIs not to mention the general purpose technologies that allow it to inter-operate with even more.

Think about it. One system that is able to integrate with, bridge, and operate over 300 sometimes vastly different technologies in such a way that they can be built into a coherent and cohesive home automation system. By its very nature any such system is going to be complex itself.

The complexity is great, the learning curve is steep, but the rewards are massive. OH is the only home automation system I know of that has as broad a support for so many technologies and APIs. With OH almost nothing that can be imagined is impossible to build.

But this also means that getting to that first step where you can blink one LED or turn on one light is a pretty big step. There are a lot of moving parts you have to both know an understand because they all have to work together to connect even one light. But once you have one light, it is just a matter of rinse and repeat to keep adding on.

This is where you are, trying to take that first step.

So lets see what we can do.

Installation

https://docs.openhab.org/installation/macosx.html

Have you met the prerequisites.

Once met, go to this linke (its the same one from the install docs) and download openhab-2.2.0.zip. Right click and choose “Save link as…” if it isn’t downloading the zip file and is automatically opening it for you or the like.

Now you should be able to follow the rest of the instructions in the Installation docs. But if not let us know where you get stuck and we will try to help. Where our documentation lacks we try to make up for it in a friendly and helpful forum.

Once installed, I highly recommend going through the Beginner’s Tutorial and in parallel look up stuff in the User’s Manual. The User’s Manual is really intended to be a reference. There is lots of content but no real narrative. Given the “choose your own adventure” nature of OH, it just isn’t feasible to construct the guide like that. And our Beginner’s Tutorial is in serious need of updating and overhaul.

You also might want to go through the “How to user terminal on Mac” link as well if you are not at home on the terminal.

Finally, I will recommend this. You have already spent a lot of time on this and I know your time is valuable to you. Would you be willing to buy a RPi 3 or run a Linux VM on the Mac or the like? If so then you can use openHABian which will get you up and running WAY faster.

Let us know when you get to the “Choosing a Package” stage of the tutorial or when you run into trouble before that point.