[SOLVED] Help,How to switch the UI from standard to expert?

Hello everybody,
I choose simple or standard ui at the very first time start up when openhab2 first boot on my Pi 3.
Now I want check the REST API on the UI(someone talking about these ,and I am curious with them).
But I can’t see the API anywhere, so I guess I am using the wrong UI now.
And there are topics talking about modifing the addons.cfg file, I tried ,and not work for me.
Is there any suggestion to solve this?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/openhab2/services/addons.cfg
# The base installation package of this openHAB instance
# Note: This is only regarded at the VERY FIRST START of openHAB
# Optional. If not set, the dashboard (https://<yourserver>:8080/) will ask you to choose a package.
#
# Valid options:
#   - minimal  : Installation only with dashboard, but no UIs or other addons
#   - simple   : Setup for using openHAB purely through UIs - you need to expect MANY constraints in functionality!
#   - standard : Default setup for normal users, best for textual setup
#   - expert   : Setup for expert users, especially for people migrating from openHAB 1.x
#   - demo     : A demo setup which includes UIs, a few bindings, config files etc.
#
# See http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/packages.html for a detailed explanation of these packages.
#
#package = standard

# Access Remote Add-on Repository
# Defines whether the remote openHAB add-on repository should be used for browsing and installing add-ons.
# This not only makes latest snapshots of add-ons available, it is also required for the installation of
# any legacy 1.x add-on. (default is true)
#
#remote = true

# Include legacy 1.x bindings. If set to true, it also allows the installation of 1.x bindings for which there is
# already a 2.x version available (requires remote repo access, see above). (default is false)
#
#legacy = true

# A comma-separated list of bindings to install (e.g. "sonos,knx,zwave")
#binding =

# A comma-separated list of UIs to install (e.g. "basic,paper")
#ui =

# A comma-separated list of persistence services to install (e.g. "rrd4j,jpa")
#persistence =

# A comma-separated list of actions to install (e.g. "mail,pushover")
#action =

# A comma-separated list of transformation services to install (e.g. "map,jsonpath")
#transformation =

# A comma-separated list of voice services to install (e.g. "marytts,freetts")
#voice =

# A comma-separated list of miscellaneous services to install (e.g. "myopenhab")
#misc =

Thanks!

xie

I have the minimal package and can see the REST Api. :nerd:

Try changing your addons.cfg from

#package = standard

to

package = expert (don’t forget to uncomment the line: remove the # in front of that line)

If that does not help: try installing the RestDocs through Misc Tab (although I don’t think that has something to do with the API … but one never knows …)

Did you try to install REST Docs via PaperUI? That will install the REST API

thanks, yes need to install the REST Docs, and now i can see the rest api page.

So, apparently I was wrong with that information I’ve read some time ago in a post, sorry about that.

I´m a very new member and I know that the topic is old.

Got my RasPi yesterday and installed openhabian succesfully. I also got some bindingd working!
My /etc/openhab2/services/addons.cfg is the same as above.
Now I also wanted to change my addons.cfg from minimal. I´ve read the documentation, but I don´t know how and where.
Which command do I have to use or how can I open an “explorer”?

Many thanks!!

Should this be an answer?
If yes, thanks, but it doesn´t help anyway.
I rather need an specific “how to” - sorry!

I thought you want to change the setup from standard to expert.

THX
I want to - that‘s right :joy:
But I don‘T know how and in the linked Thread is no explanation doesn´t help me.
I really need it step-by-step:
Where and how do I find and change the addons.cfg ?

@Miroo
To be honest, the comments above are relatively precise instructions on how to proceed with your problem:

1. Clean install [You should use this]

• Stop OH (sudo service openhab2 stop) via Putty
  • Delete the contents of the userdata folder (\\openhabianpi\openHAB-share\openhab2-userdata) and your conf folder (\\openhabianpi\openHAB-share\openhab2-conf)
  • Start OH (sudo service openhab2 start)

2. Change package in addons.cfg [for more experienced users]
In the assumption that you are on windows:

• Connect to openhabian-share via samba \\openhabianpi\openHAB-conf\services\
  • Open theaddons.cfg with your favourite text editor
  • Change the line #package = standard to package = expert

Is there a specific reason why you want to change that? As mentioned in the linked article from hr3, there are some “downsides” for not experienced users with the second solution.

1 Like

Thanks all.
I’ve done everything new - now it works fine!

This turned out to be a mistake for me. Note the $OPENHAB_USERDATA variable points to /var/lib/openhab or something important and removing it entirely destroyed my setup.

Reinstall OS now to clear it all up and start again!