Help Needed: UPB binding in OH3 installed... but no device found

• Platform information: Intel NUC 8i5
  • openHAB version: 3.0.1 - Release Build

I’ve installed OH3 and created my semantic model and began installing bindings only using the new graphical interfaces. I have been avoiding using ANY TEXT config files like I used in OH2.4 last year. Binding worked and things were automatically found and added into my INBOX as expected. Started building my MAIN UI Overview page as well.

I have lots of UPB devices in my home so I added the UPB Binding 3.0.1. Configured the Network ID value in the binding.

But no UPB devices are found. I am not sure how to proceed. I have plugged the UPB device from Simply Automated into one of the USB ports in the NUC8i5, and this shows it is attached at port /dev/ttyS0.

opendk@openhabian:~$ dmesg | grep tty
[ 0.038475] printk: console [tty0] enabled
[ 0.517581] 00:03: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A

I have not created a THINGS text file.
What do I name this THINGS file? ???.things
I assume I would place this file in the /etc/openhab/things directory.

Maybe I need this file to install this binding and THING using this as shown below:

Bridge upb:serial-pim:pim "UPB PIM" @ "DK" [port="/dev/ttyS0"] 

I have not mixed any TEXT config files with my new OH3 installation. Is having a combination of graphically added things/items and TEXT files ok?

ANY help is very much appreciated. I am kinda stuck and don’t know what to do next to solve this.

THANKS
Dave

yes

UPDATE: I got the UPB binding to work. It was critical to learn that I can mix TEXT config files with the GUI-created things. I learned a lot… lots of trial and error… but just achieved success!

1. I created a upb.things FILE for the UPB device. Installing the UPB binding from the GUI is not enough to get it to work, since there is no way in the config to tell the binding what USB port the device is connected at.

Bridge upb:serial-pim:pim “UPB PIM” @ “CasaPaloma” [port="/dev/ttyUSB0"] {
Thing generic light-switch “Living Room Light” [networkId=5, unitId=50] }

1. I don’t know how or if the THINGS auto-discovery works with this binding. Once I got the UPB binding seemingly installed and configured okay, I was able to add an ITEM (UPB light switch) by creating a upb.items FILE.

Since I knew the unitId=50 of one of the existing UPB dimmer switches installed in my home, I entered that value into the THINGS file… and I was able to control it via MAIN UI. Yea!