Help understanding why the REGEX transform was needed when no REGEX transform specified

Trying to get some stuff to run locally, and following instructions from this forum, added the following to my X.things file:

exec:command:kitchenlight “TP-Plug Switch” [command="/enlistments/TpLink/TpLink/TpLink/bin/Debug/tplink.exe %2$s", interval=0, timeout=5]
exec:command:kitchencheck “TP-Plug Status” [command="/enlistments/TpLink/TpLink/TpLink/bin/Debug/tplink.exe check", interval=15, timeout=5, transform=“REGEX((.*?))”]

Along with various combinations of commenting them out. Even when I enabled the first thing, which does not have any transformation specified, I got the following lines in the log:

3:10:50.943 [WARN ] [.core.transform.TransformationHelper] - Cannot get service reference for transformation service of type REGEX
23:10:50.943 [WARN ] [hab.binding.exec.handler.ExecHandler] - Couldn’t transform response because transformationService of type ‘REGEX’ is unavailable
23:10:50.959 [WARN ] [.core.transform.TransformationHelper] - Cannot get service reference for transformation service of type REGEX
23:10:50.960 [WARN ] [hab.binding.exec.handler.ExecHandler] - Couldn’t transform response because transformationService of type ‘REGEX’ is unavailable

This went away after I installed the REGEX transformation, but why did I have to install it if no transformation was specified?

are you sure the thing was not active? Afaik the only way to get rid of an already configured thing is to delete it (through REST or from karaf console), commenting out does not suffice.

Old question, but maybe someone will need it.

%2$s is a regex transformation, so the first thing contains a transformation on the input channel.

..., transform=REGEX() ]

Would be a transformation on the output channel.