Help with a wake up lighting / timer rule

So, here is my situation:
My wife uses a sleep tracking app on her iPad, the theory is that when the alarm is set, it will wake you up within 15 minutes of the set time, at the point where you are the closest to being awake. This app will also trigger a Phillips Hue bulb to turn on with the alarm. Now, since I don’t have a Hue bulb in our bedroom (light is controlled by a z-wave dimmer), I attempted to write a rule so when the hue light turns on, it will trigger the light in the bedroom to increase in brightness by 10% every minute until it is at 100% brightness.
This is the rule that I came up with, trying to keep it as simple as possible:

var Timer Timer0
var Timer Timer1
var Timer Timer2
var Timer Timer3
var Timer Timer4
var Timer Timer5
var Timer Timer6
var Timer Timer7
var Timer Timer8
rule "morning alarm"
when
    Item LightDeck changed to ON
then
    logInfo("WakeupStarted", "Wakeup Started")
    if(Snooze.state==OFF && MorningAlarm.state==ON) {
            LightMaster.sendCommand(10)
        Timer0 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(1)) [|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(20)]
        Timer1 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(2)) [|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(30)]
        Timer2 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(3)) [|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(40)]
        Timer3 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(4)) [|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(50)]
        Timer4 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(5)) [|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(60)]
        Timer5 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(6)) [|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(70)]
        Timer6 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(7)) [|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(80)]
        Timer7 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(8)) [|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(90)]
        Timer8 = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(9))[|
            LightMaster.sendCommand(100)]}
    else if(Snooze.state==ON) {
        LightMaster.sendCommand(OFF)
        logInfo("WakeupEnd", "Wakeup Ended")}
end

I am not getting any errors in the MS VS Code, but in my log, I am getting this:

2018-05-15 20:52:13.983 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'MorningAlarm.rules'
2018-05-15 20:52:14.000 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model 'MorningAlarm.rules' is either empty or cannot be parsed correctly!
2018-05-15 20:52:16.303 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model 'MorningAlarm.rules'

If anyone can help out with what I am missing, I cannot seem to see where I am getting the error from. All suggestions are appreciated!

~John

Where did you do the editing? Did you edit in a windows machine and moved over to linux? Is there any other rules in this file? Are they working fine? If not, can you try a simple rule in the same file?

Trying to see if this is because a character encoding issue.

@Anjana, I created this rule in the eclipse smart home designer and edited it in the MS VS Code. I am running Openhabian 2.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3. There were no other rules in this file, but I added a simple test rule to turn on a lamp 5 minutes ago, it worked. I am thinking it might be an issue with my wife’s app that is causing this rule not to fire… unless you see something that is messed up with my code…
@rlkoshak, Thanks for the reminder, I think I have seen that before and forgotten about it.

I would suggest a more clean way to increase the brightness:

var Timer Timer0 = null

rule "morning alarm"
    when
        Item LightDeck changed to ON
    then
        logInfo("morningAlarm", "Wakeup Started")
        if(Snooze.state == OFF && MorningAlarm.state == ON && Timer0 === null) { 
            Timer0 = createTimer(now.plusSeconds(1)) [ |                        // Create a Timer
                if ((LightMaster.state as Number) < 100) {                      // already reached highest Level?
                    LightMaster.sendCommand((LightMaster.state as Number) + 10) // Increase Level by 10
                    Timer0.reschedule(now.plusMinutes(1))                       // Reschedule Timer
                }
                else
                    Timer0 = null                                               // reinitialize Timer
            ]
        }
        else if(Snooze.state==ON) {
            LightMaster.sendCommand(OFF)                                       // Switch off
            Timer0.cancel                                                      // Cancel Timer if running
            Timer0 = null                                                      // reinitialize Timer 
            logInfo("morningAlarm", "Wakeup Ended")
        }
end

rule "Snooze active"
    when
        Item Snooze changed to ON
    then
        Timer0.cancel
        Timer0 = null
        logInfo("snoozeActive", "Wakeup Ended by Snooze")
end

Please be aware that the first string of logInfo is the logger name. You can use the karaf console to switch the logger level for this name, so it’s a good idea to use the same logger name per rule.

Is the trigger correct? (I.e.: Does the Item LightDeck change from another state to ON?)

3 Likes

@Udo_Hartmann, Thank you! That is definitely much cleaner code! This is a perfect example of what I need to learn about writing rules.
The item LightDeck can have a value of 0 to 100, but I have it in my items as a switch, not a color or dimmer item just to avoid any issues, so it should have just an ON or OFF state in OpenHAB. In the Hue app it could be set it to a different brightness (but we don’t use the hue app). I would assume that if that should happen the state would be overwritten when the alarm app sends the signal to turn the light ON. I will have to test this later today when I get home from work. Again, thank you for the well written rule!

Update, @Udo_Hartmann, I just entered (copy & paste) your rule in VS Code and I get this in the log:

2018-05-16 06:28:52.191 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model 'TestAlarm.rules' has errors, therefore ignoring it: [17,9]: missing '}' at 'else'

Looking at it, I put the ‘}’ above the “else if” and it shows fine in the log… hopefully this is the right location.

Yes, I did the correction above in case someone finds this rule.

I’m not sure about the LightDeck Item. Either the Item is defined as

Switch LightDeck "Some Label [%s]" {hue="..."}

then this Item will only have 3 states: NULL (as long as it is uninitialized), ON and OFF. But of course the hue binding has to take care that the item gets only ON and OFF state updates.
Or it is defined as

Dimmer LightDeck "Some Label [%d]" {hue="..."}
// or 
Number LightDeck "Some Label [%d]" {hue="..."}

Then the state will either be NULL (see above) or an integer 0 to 100. Then the trigger would be different, and you would need to use it like this:

when
        Item LightDeck changed // without constraint
    then
        if ((LightDeck.state as Number) != 0) {
             // LightDeck is "ON"
        } else {
             // LightDeck is "OFF"
        }
end

Good morning @Udo_Hartmann,

I have the DeckLight set the same as your first example. Having the parameters for the second set will definitely help with other rules that I plan to write! Having this example has helped me a lot in understanding how timers can counters can be used to make cleaner code. It’s clear I need to spend more time researching tutorials on how to write code and better/cleaner ways to use Java and Xtend!

~John

https://community.openhab.org/search?q=category%3A10%20tags%3Adesignpattern

All the wisdom and best practices from me and a number of others get written up as Design Pattern postings.

2 Likes

@rlkoshak, thanks for this list, I had been using some of them, but didn’t realize that there were so many published! This will help me out a great deal!

~John

Hi everyone, hi @rlkoshak, @Udo_Hartmann

I know this is an old post, but my issue is related. Since a couple of days I own a Osram light strip which is connected to OH by DeConz which is working fine so far. I reached to create a timer rule to switch off the light after a certain time of hours and minutes. So far so good.

Then I tried to create a rule, that the light strip is waking me up in the morning on a specific hour and minute, e.g. 6:30 am. The problem is that my rule is only working, if the defined clock is one minute after I set the wakeUp.

The rule:

var Timer Schlafzimmer_WakeUp   = null
var Timer Lichtweckertimer      = null

rule "morning alarm"
    when
        Item Lichtwecker_Osram changed to ON
    then
	if (Lichtwecker_Osram.state == ON) {
		if(Lichtweckertimer === null) {
            logInfo("morningAlarm", "Wecker aktiviert")
            Lichtweckertimer = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(1))[ |
                var sollMinuten = (Lichtschlauch_Wecker_M.state as DecimalType).intValue
                var sollStunden = (Lichtschlauch_Wecker_H.state as DecimalType).intValue
                if (sollMinuten == now.getMinuteOfHour && sollStunden == now.getHourOfDay) {
                    logInfo("morningAlarm", "Wakeup Started") 
                     if(Lichtwecker_Osram.state == ON && Schlafzimmer_WakeUp === null) {     
                        Schlafzimmer_WakeUp = createTimer(now.plusSeconds(1)) [ | 
                        logInfo("morningAlarm", "Timer erstellt " + Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.state)                       // Create a Timer
                            if ((Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.state as Number) < 91) {                      // already reached highest Level? to avoid getting error messages because 101 would not be possible --> error loop // maybe setting the value to 0 before starting the +10 first time..
                                Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.sendCommand((Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.state as Number) + 10) // Increase Level by 10
                                Schlafzimmer_WakeUp.reschedule(now.plusMinutes(1))                       // Reschedule Timer
                            }
                            else{
                                Lichtwecker_Osram.sendCommand(OFF)
                                logInfo("morningAlarm", "Wakeup finished")
                            }
                        ]
                    }
                }
            ]
        }
    }
end

rule "Wecker deaktiviert"
    when
        Item Lichtwecker_Osram changed to OFF
    then
        if (Schlafzimmer_WakeUp !== null) {
            Schlafzimmer_WakeUp.cancel
            Schlafzimmer_WakeUp = null
        }
        if (Lichtweckertimer !==null) {
            Lichtweckertimer.cancel 
            Lichtweckertimer = null
        }       
        logInfo("Wecker deaktiviert", "Wecker ausgeschaltet")
end

I assume that the issue is related to the “Lichtweckertimer” wich does not loop as expected maybe. Do you have a recommendation where my bug is?

Thank you all.

Let’s simplify a bit first

You can take that if() right out. You already know that it’s just changed to ON.

This is good, you want to ensure only one copy of the timer is running.
But you do want it to run more than once in the system’s lifetime - you need to set that variable back to null once that Timer has finished doing its thing, ready for tommorrow.

There’s your one minute. You’re doing the check (I guess it is to see if now = some set time) inside the Timer code, which runs one minute after the rule was triggered.
Don’t you want to do that test before setting up the Timer?

1 Like

You don’t need two timers:

var Timer Lichtweckertimer = null

rule "morning alarm"
when
    Item Lichtwecker_Osram changed to ON
then
    if(Lichtwecker_Osram.state == ON) {
		var Number sollMinuten = if(Lichtschlauch_Wecker_H.state instanceof Number) (Lichtschlauch_Wecker_H.state as Number).intValue * 60 else -61
		sollMinuten = if(Lichtschlauch_Wecker_M.state instanceof Number) (Lichtschlauch_Wecker_M.state as Number).intValue + sollMinuten else -1
		if (sollMinuten >= 0 ) {
			Lichtweckertimer?.cancel               																									// cancel existing timer
			Lichtweckertimer = createTimer(now.withTimeAtStartOfDay.plusMinutes(sollMinuten.intValue).plusDays(if (sollMinuten <= now.getMinuteOfDay ) 1), [
				if((Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.state as Number) < 91) {                                													// already reached highest Level?
					Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.sendCommand((Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.state as Number) + 10) 													// Increase Level by 10
					Lichtweckertimer.reschedule(now.plusMinutes(1))                          													// Reschedule Timer
				} else {
					Lichtwecker_Osram.sendCommand(OFF)
				}
			])
			logInfo("morningAlarm", "Timer erstellt für {}:{} Uhr",Lichtschlauch_Wecker_H.state,Lichtschlauch_Wecker_M.state)              
		} else {
		    logWarn("morningAlarm", "Stunde oder Minute haben keinen gültigen Wert!")
		}
	} else {
	    Lichtweckertimer?.cancel
	    logInfo("morningAlarm", "Wecker ausgeschaltet")
	}
end

As I did some shortcut, here’s the long version (more readable…):

klick to show code
var Timer Lichtweckertimer = null

rule "morning alarm"
when
    Item Lichtwecker_Osram changed
then
    if(Lichtwecker_Osram.state == ON) {
		var Number sollMinuten                                                                        // define var
		if(Lichtschlauch_Wecker_H.state instanceof Number)                                            // check if value valid
			sollMinuten = (Lichtschlauch_Wecker_H.state as Number).intValue * 60                      // set var
		else 
			sollMinuten = -61                                                                         // mark as invalid
		if(Lichtschlauch_Wecker_M.state instanceof Number)                                            // check if value valid
			sollMinuten = sollMinuten + (Lichtschlauch_Wecker_M.state as Number).intValue             // set var
		else 
			sollMinuten = -1                                                                          // mark as invalid
		if (sollMinuten >= 0 ) {                                                                      // check if time valid
			Lichtweckertimer?.cancel                                                                  // cancel existing timer
			if (sollMinuten <= now.getMinuteOfDay)                                                    // time already expired today?
				sollMinuten = sollMinuten + 1440                                                      // add a day
			Lichtweckertimer = createTimer(now.withTimeAtStartOfDay.plusMinutes(sollMinuten.intValue), [       // create the timer
				if((Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.state as Number) < 91) {                                      // check Level
					Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.sendCommand((Lightstrip_1_Dimmer.state as Number) + 10)       // Increase Level by 10
					Lichtweckertimer.reschedule(now.plusMinutes(1))                                // Reschedule Timer
				} else {                                                                              // or
					Lichtwecker_Osram.sendCommand(OFF)                                                // switch light off
				}
			])
			logInfo("morningAlarm", "Timer erstellt für {}:{} Uhr",Lichtschlauch_Wecker_H.state,Lichtschlauch_Wecker_M.state)              
		} else {
		    logWarn("morningAlarm", "Stunde oder Minute haben keinen gültigen Wert!")
		}
	} else {
	    Lichtweckertimer?.cancel
	    logInfo("morningAlarm", "Wecker ausgeschaltet")
	}
end

The biggest change is, the timer will fire once the alarm time is reached, but not every minute. Then it will fire every minute for ten minutes, until the light gets switched off.
As both rules use the same trigger, there is no need for two rules at all :wink:

1 Like

Thank you both @Udo_Hartmann and @rossko57 for the fast reply, I will incorporate your solutions and adjust my coding. Thank you!!

So, I just changed it. Adjusted furthermore one line:

Lichtweckertimer = createTimer(now.withTimeAtStartOfDay.plusMinutes(sollMinuten.intValue)

the . intValue was required.

Thank you so much!

Kindly,
Woogi

1 Like

Jepp, always forget this… :wink:

Changed it above for future reference.

Hi @Udo_Hartmann,

I have still an issue with the rule.

2019-08-23 05:50:00.016 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'Lightstrip_1_Dimmer' received command 10
2019-08-23 05:50:00.030 [nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Lightstrip_1_Dimmer predicted to become 10
2019-08-23 05:50:00.191 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Lightstrip_1_Dimmer changed from 0 to 10
2019-08-23 05:50:07.771 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Lightstrip_1_Farbe changed from 347,97,0 to 347,97,25
2019-08-23 05:50:07.774 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Lightstrip_1_Dimmer changed from 10 to 25
2019-08-23 05:50:07.777 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Lightstrip_1_Schalter changed from OFF to ON
2019-08-23 05:50:17.776 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Lightstrip_1_Farbe changed from 347,97,25 to 347,97,10
2019-08-23 05:50:17.789 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Lightstrip_1_Dimmer changed from 25 to 10

That’s it. The Dimmer remains at the level of 10%. Do you have an idea what need to be adjusted that the device is dimming up to 100%?

Kindly and thank you,
Woogi

As the rule includes logInfo, it’ll be worth reporting what it said in your openhab.log

@rossko57 thank you, my bad, didn’t check and attached the .log information. Please find these messages below:

2019-08-23 05:50:00.024 [ERROR] [org.quartz.core.JobRunShell         ] - Job DEFAULT.2019-08-23T05:50:00.000+02:00: Proxy for org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.lib.Procedures$Procedure0: [ {
  org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.impl.XIfExpressionImpl@e0617a
} ] threw an unhandled Exception: 
java.lang.NullPointerException: cannot invoke method public abstract boolean org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.actions.Timer.reschedule(org.joda.time.base.AbstractInstant) on null
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.invokeOperation(XbaseInterpreter.java:1071) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.invokeOperation(XbaseInterpreter.java:1061) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._invokeFeature(XbaseInterpreter.java:1047) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.invokeFeature(XbaseInterpreter.java:992) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.interpreter.ScriptInterpreter.invokeFeature(ScriptInterpreter.java:151) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:772) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:220) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.interpreter.ScriptInterpreter.doEvaluate(ScriptInterpreter.java:226) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.internalEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:204) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:447) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:228) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.interpreter.ScriptInterpreter.doEvaluate(ScriptInterpreter.java:226) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.internalEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:204) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:460) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:244) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:447) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:228) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.evaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:190) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.ClosureInvocationHandler.doInvoke(ClosureInvocationHandler.java:46) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.AbstractClosureInvocationHandler.invoke(AbstractClosureInvocationHandler.java:29) ~[?:?]
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy137.apply(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.internal.actions.TimerExecutionJob.execute(TimerExecutionJob.java:49) ~[?:?]
	at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:202) [107:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.scheduler:0.10.0.oh240]
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:573) [107:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.scheduler:0.10.0.oh240]
2019-08-23 05:50:00.195 [ERROR] [org.quartz.core.ErrorLogger         ] - Job (DEFAULT.2019-08-23T05:50:00.000+02:00: Proxy for org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.lib.Procedures$Procedure0: [ {
  org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.impl.XIfExpressionImpl@e0617a
} ] threw an exception.
org.quartz.SchedulerException: Job threw an unhandled exception.
	at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:213) [107:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.scheduler:0.10.0.oh240]
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:573) [107:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.scheduler:0.10.0.oh240]
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: cannot invoke method public abstract boolean org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.actions.Timer.reschedule(org.joda.time.base.AbstractInstant) on null
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.invokeOperation(XbaseInterpreter.java:1071) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.invokeOperation(XbaseInterpreter.java:1061) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._invokeFeature(XbaseInterpreter.java:1047) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.invokeFeature(XbaseInterpreter.java:992) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.interpreter.ScriptInterpreter.invokeFeature(ScriptInterpreter.java:151) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:772) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:220) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:460) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.doEvaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:244) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.evaluate(XbaseInterpreter.java:190) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.ClosureInvocationHandler.doInvoke(ClosureInvocationHandler.java:46) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.AbstractClosureInvocationHandler.invoke(AbstractClosureInvocationHandler.java:29) ~[?:?]
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy137.apply(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.internal.actions.TimerExecutionJob.execute(TimerExecutionJob.java:49) ~[?:?]
	at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:202) ~[?:?]
	... 1 more

Any ideas?

Kindly,
Woogi

There is a wrong command in my rule (my bad…) about the reschedule…
please change the line

Schlafzimmer_WakeUp.reschedule(now.plusMinutes(1)) 

to

Lichtweckertimer.reschedule(now.plusMinutes(1))
2 Likes