Help with items not apearing (SOLVED)

Where are you not seeing them appear?

on the myopenhab website

If you have a sitemap with all your items from OH and the android app that shows the items and you can control them what is the need to see them on myopenhab site?

Following that unofficial tutorial link they are using IFTTT to Google Assistant. I think you can use Google Assistant directly with a different configuration.

People abused exposing Items to myopenhab, crashing the server, so that functionality was disabled. The solution, if that is needed, is to set up your own cloud server using the code from GitHub.

Yes, you should be able to add tagging for google to discover and control the device. @Marcos_Villar mentioned they can control via the app so they only need to add tagging to the items e.g. [“Lighting”]

1 Like

People need to read the official documentation from our developers who know how the system actually works (RTFM), The official documentation says exposing the Items is not needed for Google Assistant. Only IFTTT. The tutorial you foloowed is one way the cloud server was abused.

(Items DO NOT need to be exposed to and will not show up on myopenHAB.org, this is only needed for the IFTTT service!)

1 Like

@Bruce_Osborne @H102 how can i configure correctly google assistant for using my gpio pins, i tried adding the device but it didnt add to google home

Sometimes it takes a while (up to 24 hours) for the device to get discovered.

See their other thread. In spite of being pointed to the official docs TWICE they have failed to read them and tag their Items for Google Assistant.

@Marcos_Villar Did you add the tags? Please post your item configuration so we can see if there is an error.

Kinda simple to add the tagging but not so sure about the itmes channel.??

Switch night_light "Enchufe 1" <poweroutlet_us> ["Lighting"] { gpio="pin:27 activelow:yes"} 

@Marcos_Villar Can you contol these items via BasicUI?

Look at the other thread. They incorrectly added tags and used the wrong quotes, I think.

So, is exposing items to myopenhab.org still disabled? My IFTTT connection stopped working a while back, just trying to figure out why. I exposed an item (just one), changed it’s state, and it still doesn’t show up.

Yes. The workaround is to host your own version in the cloud. The code is on Github.

I see. That’s a lot of work just to turn my Arlo cams off and on, LoL. Are there any alternatives to myopenhab.org that can integrate with IFTTT?

There are some other home systems. I know of another free one but they charge a monthly fee to use their cloud. OpenHAB cannot do that and nobody here has set up a fee service.

Seems like this would be better solved by incorporating the MyOpenHAB Cloud components into the server itself, and using Dynamic DNS to access it instead. Seems like it would be simpler, and cheaper, than building my own server in the cloud.

That would likely technically make that a server, usually violating the terms of service for many residential Internet services.

I tried free IFTTT a couple of times and was lucky of a job automatically ran withing 24 hours of triggering. I was using webhooks and email for testing. I do not understand the usefulness.

Well, technically, myopenhab.org accessing the local openhab install makes it a server anyway, as would accessing anything at home while outside of it. ISPs only really care about volume, and serving it up for personal use is definitely an arguable grey area.

IFTTT was working for me when I originally set this up, changes were applied within a minute. Granted, the Arlo integration is pretty weak, as it can only change the mode for an entire Arlo hub (which is why I bought a second hub for the outside vs. inside cameras).