Help with MQTT please

Hi All

I’m very new to OH, so please be gentle :slight_smile:

I have OH 2 running on a Pi3.
I’ve setup a demo page with a few switches and a site map.

I’m using a H801 RGBWW and SonOff basic both reflashed with Tasmota firmware.

The devices are definitely sending messages to the MQTT server on the Pi. I can see the messages appearing on there.

If I use mosquitto_pub I can send commands successfully to the units.

However, no matter what I do, I can’t seem to get any messages to appear from OpenHAB.

I can’t find a guide that goes through the basics step by step to setting it up.

I installed Mosquitto manually, but I’m confused with the plugin and options in paperui.

Any ideas, suggestions and help gratefully received :slight_smile:

Welcome to OH. Having just deployed mqtt yesterday, I’ll try to help (though I’m still learning). To get a basic deployment started you need to install the Matt binding (don’t install the actions binding) and edit the mqtt.cfg file in your conf/services directory to point OH at your mqtt broker.

mqtt.cfg

mqttloc.url=tcp://localhost:1883
mqttloc.clientId=openhab 

Then you can start defining items as per the binding page or just sync your OH event bus (basic config below) to have all OH commands/state changes go to mqtt and subscribe to any commands/state changes you want to retrieve from Matt (though you will need OH items ready to receive those commands/state changes.

mqtt-eventbus.cfg

broker=mqttloc
statePublishTopic=/openhab/out/${item}/state
commandPublishTopic=/openhab/out/${item}/command
stateSubscribeTopic=/openhab/in/${item}/state
commandSubscribeTopic=/openhab/in/${item}/command

From there you can move on to configuration passwords or customize qos or other settings.

Thanks!

Does that mean I didn’t need to install mosquitto itself manually? Just through paperui?

Mosquito is a mqtt broker that runs independent from OH. From your first post I assumed you already had an mqtt broker running ?

If you were referring to the mqtt binding, yes you install that from PaperUI but since it is an OH 1 binding you have to configure it from text files

Yes I have a broker running.

I can send messages and it receives them.

Is the integration with openHAB that is not working.

I will follow the information above and see if that helps :slight_smile:

I’ve checked all that as best I can :-

mqtt.cfg:

mosquitto.url=tcp://192.168.1.58:1883
mosquitto.clientId=openHAB
mosquitto.user=openhabian
mosquitto.pwd=xxxxxxxx
mosquitto.qos=1

mqtt-eventbus.cfg

broker=mosquitto
statePublishTopic=/openhab/out/${item}/state

I have some demo items and demo sitemap I have been playing with.

demo.sitemap

Frame {
Switch item=SonOff-1
}

demo.items
Switch SonOff-1 {mqtt=">[mosquitto:cmnd/SonOff-1/POWER:command:ON:1],>[mosquitto:cmnd/SonOff-1/POWER:command:OFF:$

I’m not seeing anything in the Mosquitto broker when I press the button:

Just stuff like this

Client mosqsub/4804-openHABian received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, ‘/openhab/out/ImageURL/state’, … (34 bytes))
/openhab/out/ImageURL/state http://www.placecage.com/g/480/360
Client mosqsub/4804-openHABian received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, ‘/openhab/out/ImageURL/state’, … (35 bytes))
/openhab/out/ImageURL/state http://www.fillmurray.com/g/640/480
Client mosqsub/4804-openHABian received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, ‘/openhab/out/ImageURL/state’, … (34 bytes))
/openhab/out/ImageURL/state http://www.placecage.com/g/320/240
Client mosqsub/4804-openHABian received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, ‘/openhab/out/ImageURL/state’, … (32 bytes))
/openhab/out/ImageURL/state http://www.placecage.com/320/240

Any advice where to go next?

First try is it looks like you are missing the closing bracket in your item definition unless that was a cut-and-paste error

Thanks, you are correct, I missed a couple of bits when I pasted it.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting?

Does this look correct?

bundle:list | grep openHAB
9 | Active | 80 | 1.10.0.201706211218 | openHAB LightwaveRf Binding
167 | Active | 90 | 2.1.0 | openHAB Core
168 | Active | 80 | 2.1.0 | openHAB Karaf Integration
170 | Resolved | 80 | 2.1.0 | openHAB Sound Support, Hosts: 112
171 | Active | 80 | 2.1.0 | openHAB Dashboard UI
184 | Active | 80 | 1.10.0 | openHAB MQTT Binding
188 | Active | 80 | 2.1.0 | openHAB 1.x Compatibility Layer
190 | Active | 80 | 2.1.0 | openHAB Cloud Connector Bundle
191 | Active | 80 | 1.10.0 | openHAB MQTT Transport Bundle
192 | Active | 80 | 1.10.0 | openHAB MQTT Persistence Bundle
193 | Resolved | 75 | 2.1.0 | openHAB Basic UI Fragment, Hosts: 179
194 | Active | 75 | 2.1.0 | openHAB Classic UI Fragment
198 | Resolved | 75 | 2.1.0 | openHAB Paper UI Theme Fragment, Hosts: 181

I have just started looking at logs, from Karaf:

22:26:03.540 [INFO ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP POST request at ‘items/SonOff’ for the unknown item ‘SonOff’.
22:26:03.816 [INFO ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP POST request at ‘items/SonOff’ for the unknown item ‘SonOff’.
22:26:04.064 [INFO ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP POST request at ‘items/SonOff’ for the unknown item ‘SonOff’.
22:26:04.321 [INFO ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP POST request at ‘items/SonOff’ for the unknown item ‘SonOff’.
22:26:04.573 [INFO ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP POST request at ‘items/SonOff’ for the unknown item ‘SonOff’.

I can’t see an item called Sonoff.

My only item is:

Switch SonOff-1 {mqtt=">[mosquitto:cmnd/SonOff-1/POWER:command:ON:1],>[mosquitto:cmnd/SonOff-1/POWER:command:OFF:$]"}

I believe hyphens in names have a special significance within openhab UI’s - they are used to select icons e.g. light-on, light-off etc.
For that reason you should avoid hyphens in Item names.
Use an underscore if you wish

http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/items.html#name

1 Like

THANKS!

I will give that a try :slight_smile:

Thats worked!!

Sometimes its the simplest of things…

Now I just need to understand how to update the OpenHAB web interface if i manually switch the unit on/off from the on-board switch?

My understanding (I’m just coming up the learning curve myself) is that you’ll want to configure an incoming subscribe for your item using the ‘<’ in your item definition.

1 Like

No trailing slash on the MQTT URL, as it’s not HTTP.

Hey all. Sorry to pick this thread up with the same problem: I just can´t get openhab2 on my old Raspi B to cause any effect on the mqtt topic. Using Putty Mosquitto works just fine, so does MQTT.fx.
I did a fresh install of openhab, installed the MQTT binding from the binding menu inside Paper UI.

Here is the contents of my mqtt.cfg:
mosquitto.url=tcp://localhost:1883
mosquitto.clientId=openhab
mosquitto.retain=true
mosquitto.async=false

And eventbus
broker=mosquitto
statePublishTopic=/openhab/out/${item}/command

I tried to have a switch on a demo.sitemap
sitemap default label=“My first sitemap”
{
Switch item=myswitch label=“Light”

}

the switch is: myswitch.item
Swtich myswitch {mqtt=">[mosquitto:/test/hello:command:ON:1],>[mosquitto:/test/hello:command:OFF:0]"}

Bear with me. I had to figure out what it actually means when someone write “We just create a switch item”. I have little to no knowledge about what I´m acutally doing :wink:

your openhab.log should be giving you an error about the misspelled Swtich
If this was a copy/paste error… check the contents of /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/mqtt.config

Ps: You don’t really need the mqtt-eventbus integration. You could comment out all the settings there.

Yep. Meanwhile I´ve found this typo too and changed around the variables. But I still have a problem while looking at the openhab log. Can´t get my head around this simple syntax. The log states:

Cannot retrieve item ‘cmd1’ for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Switch

Here is the items file:
Switch cmd1 {mqtt=">[mosquitto:/test/hello:command:ON:1],>[mosquitto:/test/hello:command:OFF:0]"}

and the sitemap:
sitemap test label=“test sitemap”
{
Frame label=“Stuff”{
Switch item=cmd1 label=“LightSW”
}

}

When I try to use the swtich that shows up in the Basic UI, the log says:
Received HTTP POST request at ‘items/cmd1’ for the unknown item ‘cmd1’

I think mqtt binding is actually working, but there is something wrong in my syntax that is just very simple. I´ve read through a lot of examples and pages, but can´t figure it out.

Damn … got it now! It was a simple “s” that was missing from the .items. It was named .item. Stupid me!

1 Like