Help with Recommendation

I have OP running on a Pi and I’m learning slowly. I have a basic web page setup which control my Hue Lights,

What I would like is a door sensor which can trigger a one or more the the following :-

Ring an electonic bell type device(s)
Send a alert to our IOS phone(s)
Get Google Home device to annouce the door is open.

My elderly father lives with us and is becoming forgetful and sometime the door does not shut securely.

I live in the UK when it comes to sourcing hardware and if at all possible I would like to minimise the learning required to implement it.

In the long term I will become more proficient with rules but currently this requirement is more urgent than my personal learning curve.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Besides Hue what other techologies are you using?

Just Philips Hue Hub/Bulbs and 3 TP-Link power sockets.

Thanks

Dave

Unfortunately there are no door sensors I can find that are compatible with Hue.

TP-Link appears to make some door sensors but the TP-Link binding doesn’t appear to support them. At least they are not listed.

So you will have to choose another technology. I’d recommend Zwave though they can be pricier than other technologies. But they tend to work very well and there is good support in OH. You will need to purchase a Zwave controller, the Aeotech Gen 5 is one of the more popular ones. Then there are many choices for door sensors and sirens to choose from.

For sending an alert you can use the myopenhab.org and the openHAB app on your phone. But you will need to write a Rule to generate the alert after the desired amount of time the door remains open. But it isn’t hard.

For sending the TTS to the Google Home, I think you can use the Chromecast binding and the say command from the Rule.

Ok - so I will order the Aeotech Gen 5 now and have a look for sensors and see if I can find a zwave sensor and check back when I have them,

Thanks very much for the quick replies.

Does the brand of door sensor matter to OH. Not a massive selection on the Amazon UK website

This one says Z-WAVE PLUS - is that ok ?

If it is zwave then for the most part it either already works or can be made to work in a couple of days (i.e. the device may need to be added to the database). Brand wise Fibaro seems to be the most recommended but I’ve no experience with them myself. I have some GE, Linear, and GoControl devices that I’m happy with. Aeotech is also popular for more than just the controller.

Zwave Plus is backwards compatible so it will work. You are better off if you get a controller that supports Zwave Plus (the Gen 5 Aeotech does) and you will get better battery and range if you use all Zwave Plus devices, but it isn’t required. See https://justclickappliances.com/z-wave-vs-z-wave-plus/.

OK - may need to look on sites other than Amazon - I went there first as I get free next day delivery.

Thanks again

Dave

Great - got all from Aeotech and should be with me by Friday.

Thanks

Dave

I can’t get over just how helpful everyone is on this forum. I know you probably get asked the same dumb questions over and over again. I run my own open source application but because its very “niche” in what it does - well I don’t get a great many questions.

3 Likes

I’ve been browsing z-wave products on Amazon while i’m waiting for my Aeotech kit to arrive and came across a z-wave range extender which made me thing. With the philips hue bulbs which I know are zigbee `not z-wave each bulb acts as a repeater on the network. Don’t z-wave devices work the same way ?

Hi. I think that the main rule is that battery sensors do not act as a repeater but powered devices do in the Z-wave world.

Jostein is correct. All main powered zwave devices will act as a relay. According to chris, the main zwave binding developer, zwave repeaters are kind of pointless. If you put in any mains powered device in the same location then it will do the same job of a repeater, and then you will also have another outlet or sensor or whatever you can do something useful with.

Ok - the items have arrived. I have added the aeotec z-stick gen5 to OH and it’s found it ok. After a little bit of watching youtube I paired the door sensor which is an Aeotec Door/Window Sensor Gen5 to the z-wave controller. Once plugged back into the PI it found the sensor but does not seem to know what exactly it is.

I have attached a screen dump of the device information. I think I’m going to need a little hand holding to figure out how to get OH to recognise it as a Sensor.

If I press the anti tamper spring on the back of the sensor (not attached to door yet) I see this appearing in the log

2018-09-28 15:42:16.607 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - ZWaveSerialController_StartFrames changed from 44 to 45

2018-09-28 15:42:17.428 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - ZWaveSerialController_StartFrames changed from 45 to 46

2018-09-28 15:42:21.913 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - ZWaveSerialController_StartFrames changed from 46 to 47

2018-09-28 15:42:22.227 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - ZWaveSerialController_StartFrames changed from 47 to 48

2018-09-28 15:42:27.755 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - ZWaveSerialController_StartFrames changed from 48 to 49

2018-09-28 15:42:28.020 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - ZWaveSerialController_StartFrames changed from 49 to 50

OK, so I’m assuming this is a battery powered device. The manual should mention something about waking it up. Often waking it up is the same process as pairing it. Often it is pressing a button or a combination of buttons triggering the actuator or something like that.

Battery powered devices need to be woken up multiple time to give the binding a chance to figure out what it is.

It is unlikely, but this might be a really new Aeotec device and it may not be in the database yet. Given the text in the screenshot, if that were the case you would see a valid manufacturer ID and Device ID. But it is probably worth having a look. Go to

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list

and search for the model number of the device. If you find it then it’s a known device.

18 DW Sensor Gen5 ES.pdf (186.7 KB)

I found this on the web - the user guide just described how to pair it and fix to door. The uploaded pdf seems to have some decent technical information however.

I’ve found this thread which seems to apply to the same version of the device.

Well - the box has this written on the bottom but I had to peel off another label which obscured it - the top label just had a “NEW” word printed on it with a barcode X000V4RB7X.

Assuming it is a ZW120-C what do I need to do in order to get OH to recognise it. Do I need to delete it an add again ? You mentioned that OH may take a while to determine what it is - did I add it in too quickly ?

Dave

Found this in the log as well.

2018-09-28 18:08:03.448 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 2: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0

What version of OH are you running?

If you are running 2.3 then it is likely that you need to upgrade to the Milestone 4 release. This will be the easiest way to get the updated database.

When you do upgrade, look at ZWave binding updates for some extra steps you will need to take because of changes to the binding between 2.3 and 2.4 milestone 4.