Heos (Denon) support

Wire82,

No I don’t get that error messages Tanrickson gets. I am using pretty new nightly build just some days old.

Looking forward to the starting procedure fix :slight_smile:

NoTechi

Yes, I had an old version. Now it’s fine. Thank you :slight_smile:

Just short experience update but most likely it’s the part of the the starting procedure issue. I experienced now that I can’t play/pause anymore even though the group and bridge show as “online” in paperui.

NoTechi

Okay. Ich will take a look to that. Maybe it can be that if you send no command for a long time the connection will close. But that is also on my list to implement a check routine or use the heos heart beat command to keep the connection open. As soon I have time I will test it on a system that will keep running over a longer time.
Many thanks for the feedback. It’s good to have some one else trying it out. :slight_smile:

@Wire82, @jarlebh: It looks like @Wire82 currently has the most time for becoming the maintainer of this binding. So are you two agreeing on this? In this case, we could start using @Wire82’s GitHub repo for keeping track of issues and PRs :wink: Over time, it could get a little bit messy if we use this thread for issue tracking.

EDIT: @Wire82, @jarlebh: Just saw that you’re both doing changes to the binding in parallel and your repos have no connection anymore because @Wire82 did setup a seperate one.

https://github.com/Wire82/org.openhab.binding.heos/commits/master
https://github.com/jarlebh/openhab2-addons/commits/heos

I don’t think that’s a good idea! In the end we have 2 HEOS binding which have different features and bugs :frowning: I think we should agree together who’ll be the main maintainer and using a single “master” repository.

I am fine with @wire82 taking this on. His code seems not to be based on my
code so no real reuse anyway.

Jarle

Den søn. 15. jan. 2017, 19:45 skrev Patrick Fink <bot@community.openhab.org

Hi @jarlebh. Yes you are right my code does not bases on yours. I started the project for myself before I found your solution. It wasn’t relay planned to release it at the beginning. :slight_smile:
@pfink @NoTechi and @tanrickson I can start maintain and debug the code. :smile: I will do my very best.
Within the last days I started to implement grouping and favorites to the binding. After I have finish that I will start to make the binding more reliable.
But maybe you can help my with a decision. If I add the favorites to each player it will be easy to start the fav at the intended player. But depending on how many favorites you have the list will start growing for each player. The other solution is to add the favorites to the bridge where you can choose it and then select a player from the bridge to start the fav on the chosen player.
At the moment I already added a list of all players to the bridge to manage grouping of players.
I hope you understand what I`m planing to do. I will see if I upload an experimental jar on github.

@Wire82: Ah, okay, that was a missunderstanding from my side, thought your code is based on jarlebh’s one. Great, thanks for your commitment! Regarding your question: Currently I do not use the favorites feature of HEOS, so I’m maybe the wrong one to give advice here. Regarding your priorities: Is creating a documentation page on your ToDo list? As boring as it may is, it’s an important thing for others to get started with your binding and understand your design. Also for me it would be easier to get into your code and support you if a documentation would be available to get started :slight_smile:

You can find the binding docs template here and many good examples among the other bindings within the openhab2-addons repo.

@pfink No problem :slight_smile:
I added a new release to my GitHub Account where I added some new features. For example I added a heartbeat to keep the connection alive even if no data is send or received. :slight_smile: Today I added the binding to my Raspi and I will sew if this works.
@NoTechi Favorites are now supported. You will find them as a Channel at your bridge. To play them, first select the player you want to play and then the favorite. If you have questions feel free to ask. To get your favorites it is important to login with your user data. This can be done via the bridge. Just klick edit and add the information.
@pfink Regarding the documentation I will start with that as one of the next things. I know this is important. Thanks for the link :wink:
So please enjoy the new release. I hope it will work a little bit more stable than the old one.

Great many thanks Wire82! :slight_smile:

I can see my favorite as channel from my bridge.
From there I am struggeling. I can’t add a “linked item” to this channel.
So far I created a group “groupMyHeos” with items
Control as player
Volume as Dimmer
Artist as String
to be used in the sitemap. Within the sitemap i just have:
Group item=groupMyHeos
If I can’t create a item in paperui from the favorite channel I don’t have a item which could be added to the group. What am I missing?

Anyhow looking forward to see how the heartbeat works and will let you know :slight_smile:

NoTechi

The pdf is gone. does anyone have it somewhere?

Found it here: http://www2.aerne.com/Public/dok-sw.nsf/0c6187bc750a16fcc1256e3c005a9740/9193bea412104506c1257dbd00298c78/$FILE/HEOS_CLI_ProtocolSpecification-Verion-1.3.pdf

@MarvinNazari @pfink You can find the latest version here:
http://rn.dmglobal.com/euheos/HEOS_CLI_ProtocolSpecification.pdf
Its version 1.7 already
@NoTechi: I will come back to this soon. Does we connection stays alive now?

Well lets say it this way it worked more reliable for like a day yes. Actually everything was working smoothly and fine But then I started to play with other openhab stuff and my whole openhab went a bit unstable (my guess it is caused by the harmony hub binding which is spamming my error log and after some time openhab is just too busy or something).

I had like my heos group showing online in paperui but I could not start the player.

I just did a fresh setup and even reconnected and grouped the heos speaker. I will let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

NoTechi

Update: It looks like everytime I restart openhub the heos bridge connects but my group item stays in “intializing”. Once I remove the group item and make a new scan and and add the group as item again it is connected and online.

Update 2: After a day it looks like they stay connected according to paper ui the status of the bridge and my group is “online” but they are not reacting anymore on play or pause commands.Nothing in logs beside that they correctly received the play and pause commands.

I added a new release to my GitHub. You can find it under releases. Its now 0.1.2 I added some logger information to the code to see if a connection is getting lost. Hope that helps.

@NoTechi and @pfink
You can now find a documentation under the README.me which descripes how to setup the binding. Maybe this helps you for the beginning.
@NoTechi I hope the connection now is more stable. I will also have a look. On my setup the connection works over a few days without trouble. Since the weekend I use the official release of OpenHab 2 :slight_smile:

Please let me know how everything works…

Wire82

Wohooo great documentation thanks Wire82!

I just looked but can’t find the tar file. Once I found it I will try and let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

NoTechi

@NoTechi You find it under “releases” Or here :wink:

Update: After trying some things I realy recommend to use UI to manage Things! I seems to work much better than doing it by the designer. :wink:

@NoTechi

I just tried some things out with the favorites. I added a ruel which allows to play a favorite directly at the player. You need 3 items like this:

Switch Favorite_1 "Fav 1" {channel="heos:bridge:ed0ac1ff-0193-65c6-c1b8-506137456a50:s116726"}
Switch Player_1 {channel="heos:bridge:ed0ac1ff-0193-65c6-c1b8-506137456a50:LivingRoom"}
Switch Play "Play Favorite"

and a rule like this:

rule "play favorite"

when 
	Item Play changed to ON

then
	sendCommand(Player_1, ON)
	sendCommand(Favorite_1, ON)
	sendCommand(Play, OFF)
end

Then you just have to add the switch “Play” to your sitemap. :slight_smile:

Thanks again Wire82!

Would be nice to have another tester since my feedback is not that valuable at the moment since it seems my system is not really reliabel atm (e.g. my trigger when I enter my apartment to say something with text to speach, turn lights and heos on works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t even though I did not changed anything. I still think it is harmony hub binding related but I did not really figured out what is going on. Anyhow will let u know how it goes :slight_smile:

Going to follow your documentation and am going to give you feedback on that as well :slight_smile:

NoTechi

Are you able to add the favorite switch item via paperui? If I try and hit the “Linked items +” button nothing happens.

Installing and setting up the system following your documentation went smooth. The player control and volume dimmer seems way more reactive now :slight_smile:

NoTechi