Heos (Denon) support

@pfink @Wire82
Thanks for your answers. Heos seems the way to go. The AVR reciever is very interesting, Too expensive for me right now, I will probably start with a Heos speaker first and try the line in and se how that works in openhab.

@Wire82
Many thanks for your great work. Is it possible to release an new snapshot of the binding? The last ist from March and has no DENON AVR support, which you added in May :slight_smile: . Iā€™m using a AVR-X4300H and want to test the binding. Would be great!

@DSchumacher2104
Sorry for the late answer. I will release the new version with the support for the AVR Receiver 4300H & 6300H.
I also got mine a few weeks ago :slight_smile: and I noticed that the old Denon binding does not work with the new Line of Denon Receivers. (They removed the web interface) So it is unfortunately not possible to switch it ON (if it does not work automatically sometimes) or OFF by remote. But normally it is okay to not do soā€¦ (No dedicated function via the HEOS CLI). Maybe I have a good idea in the future to solve thatā€¦ :wink:
@ all: The new release changes the way groups are identified! The group is no longer identified by its name. They are now identified by the group members! This will change the group ID within OpenHab. So it might be necessary to remove existing groups and add them again with the new UID.
The method has the advantage that you do not have to take care to use the same name or generate the group with the correct sequence of the player.
It is also now possible to delete the group via the Ungroup channel (as within the old version) and to build the group again by switching the channel to ON.
I also added some small improvements. So please give feedback if you find something or if you have an idea to improve the binding.

Wire82

The new release 0.1.7 can be found here:

HI,

itā€™s running with the Marantz SR-7011

wildfire

@wildfire069
Thank you for the information! Is it also working as a bridge? Or do you use a ā€œnormalā€ Heos as bridge?

it works as bridge and player

Thank you. Good to know! :slight_smile:

@Wire82
Thanks!

It works with my AVR-X4300H as a bridge and player.

You can control the AVR with ā€œoldā€ commands (similar to web-if) using a direct telnet connection to avr on port 23 without a login. I use this simple way on my Homematic CCU2 and ā€œsocatā€ command, e. g. "sh -c 'echo ZMON | socat TCP:192.168.X.X:23,cr - ā€™ " for switching Main Zone On. Iā€™m not a programmer, but i think the possibillities to control the AVR this way are the same as via web-if. You can also get state by sending ZM? or set a volume to 45 with MV45, Volume State with MV? e. gā€¦ All commands can be found in a document called Denon AVR control protocol Ver.02.

I will test your binding now :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

I have an issue with the binding.
Since a week the binding doesā€™t work any more. I have:

• one HEOS 1
  • two HEOS 5
    in use.

I have done the following steps

When I search for the binding I get this:
sudo find / -name .heos
/srv/openhab2-sys/addons/org.openhab.binding.heos_0.1.7.-SNAPSHOT.jar
/srv/openhab2-addons/org.openhab.binding.heos_0.1.7.-SNAPSHOT.jar
/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.heos_0.1.7.-SNAPSHOT.jar

BUT

openhab> feature:list -s | grep heos
is empty? I canā€™t find the binding in the paperUI oder the habmin.

Whatā€™s wrong in my configuration?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I had time to work a little bit on the binding and I published a new release on GitHub :slight_smile: :

Have fun and Iā€™m looking for feedback :slight_smile:

@DSchumacher2104

Yes this is an idea. I also thought about that and I think it works if you use the Receiver as Bridge. Then you can send a command via the RawCommand channel to the receiver. I havenā€™t tested it but I think it works.
Else you have to establish a new telnet connection to the Receiver. :slight_smile:

@dreizehn37
Sorry for not answering your question. But I hade no time to see what might be the problem. But I think it was the openhab2 snapshot which causes the problem. Now the binding is working with the latest official release. Or do you still have some trouble with the binding?

Hi @Wire82. Thank you for all the efforts youā€™ve put into creating this binding. It is truly awesome work.

I am relatively new to Openhab, so I might be missing a few fundamental details, so please bear with me :slight_smile:

When I use the HEOS app on my phone to adjust the volume, this setting is not reflected in the PaperUI. Am I missing some rule configuration to ensure that updates are applied to my volume Dimmer, or player Control?

I tried creating a rule that says Item HeosGroupVolume received update with a simple logInfo action, but it seems Heos does not notify Openhab of any changes?

Hi Wire82,

thanks for the great work. On my side it works with the newest snapshot. Iā€™ll try to configurate my use cases this week.

Thanks

Hi Wire82,

Thanks for your work. Iā€™ve just received to HEOS 1 and Iā€™m trying to set them up now.
They are both connected to my network through wifi, and they are working perfectly with Denonā€™s app.

But Iā€™m unable to discover them using PaperUI. No thing is discovered. If I had one bridge manually, defining one of my two HEOS1 IP, only a player is found right after. Iā€™m unable to discover the other.

=> In fact, Iā€™m able to discover players if and only if:

• Each HEOS is configured in Denonā€™s app as a single speaker
  • A group is defined BUT without stereo pairing activated

If I activate Stereo, the new ā€œadvancedā€ group is no longer automatically discovered.
Itā€™s not clear to me if I have to register only one bridge or two (in fact whatā€™s the role of the bridge ?)

Itā€™s also not clear what is the consequence of pairing the two HEOS1 using Denonā€™s app. Should I have to also define a group in PaperUI? And what if I split this group in Denonā€™s app (for any reason, for instance, taking one of them outside the house to pay a different stream).

=> After playing more with the configuration, Iā€™m able to discover each player, and the group when created, EXCEPT IF Stereo is activated.

=> If I create a group with the one automatically discovered, and then activate ā€œstereoā€ in Denonā€™s app, I can still play a song with Openhab thing, even if its status is reported as ā€œOFFLINEā€.

And last: is is possible to play, from Openhab, a stream of mine (Iā€™d like to hear commands, like ā€œcommand receivedā€, ā€œopening shuttersā€, and so on. Iā€™ve read that in the last version of Denon API, stream entry point was back.

@dmartinpro

Hi dmartinpro.

thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately I donĀ“t have a pair of same HEOS speaker to test the system with STEREO activated. I could be that discovering changes if the speaker act as a pair! But it can also be that the player then act as one single player so that you can only see one player in the HEOS system network. This means that one player acts as the master and control also the second player which acts as the slave.
The role of the bridge is to establish the connection to the HEOS system. So you have to define ONE and only one bridge before you can discover the single player.
The OpenHab then uses the bridge to communicate with all player in the network via one single point which reduced the network traffic a lot.
Your last point is one one the things I will add within the next weeks.(before the Binding should then integrated into Openhab) Denon re-implemented the play URL stream feature with the last release of the API as you said.
I hope the explanation helps a little bit.

@poulpreben
So normally you do not need any rule to reflect a change of the system. You should see a volume change within openhab if you change the volume via you phone for example.
Do you still have the problem? I so, can you please provide some further details about your configuration or a log during system start?

@Wire82

If I can help you with logs or anything else to better understand how the stereo binding works, feel free to ask me.

@dmartinpro

Yes this would help. Thank you!

Hi there,

a new release is available for the HEOS binding. The binding now supports Play URL features as well as the audio sink function of OpenHab. So check out the release notes:

Changes since 0.1.8

• Support for play from URL added
  • Support for OpenHab audio sink added. A HEOS player of Group can now be registered as an audio sink within OpenHab
  • Major improvement of the shut down sequence of the binding. The binding should now stop without any fault message. Therefore restarting should also be improved during OpenHab runtime
    Update:
    - Failure (wrong MID) during play Favorite solved

The binding can be found here:

So please test the binding and give feedback :slight_smile:

I think this release is a huge step forward to get the binding to the OpenHab resproā€¦ :smile:

Wire82

Update: The release has been updated. A failure during playing a favorite channel is solved now.

Wire82