HestiaPi - The open platform is now Live on crowdfunding!

I am George, the designer and developer of HestiaPi, an open source open hardware smart thermostat for your home.
It runs openHAB2 on RaspberryPi Zero with a 3.5" touchscreen, a BME280, 4 solid state relays and a range of input voltage from 24V AC to 100-240V AC. All that in a nice 3D printable case.

To make this come true we are running a crowdfunding campaign and we will be donating back to the openHAB Foundation.

Please check it out and pass it on.
It would mean a lot to us and the open source community if we can get a truly open product in the market against those consumerism giants.
Here is a press kit if it helps anyone with a blog.

1 Like

It’s not that bad looking and with Nest support going away it’s pretty timely. Good luck!

1 Like

Being 3D printable means you can give it the shape and colour you want. Personal taste is something subjective so some will like it and some will not but they will be able to do something about it.

My problem with 3D prints is the finish. It never really looks that smooth and polished without a little but of Bondo and a whole lot of elbow grease.

2 Likes

The price tag is quite high though. Considering that most software is from elsewhere and hardware is not one self crafted PCB but individual pieces connected via jumper wires and board stacking, and on top a printed case.

3 Likes

The printers used are Lulzbot TAZ6 which provide a superior result compared to entry level printers. Then again they are 3D printers and will never reach an ABS injection moulded case. Believe it or not our top priority is to make it easy for people to make it themselves and not simply “consume” buying our stuff (which may work backwards too helping sales). An injection mould case would be possible with the volume of a campaign at lower price than the 3D printed one but this means we would leave the “Open Hardware” aspect out of the equation. There is always a give and take and we tried to cut somewhere in the middle. I hope you understand our approach

The PCB is a custom design to shrink final size.
Cost of individual components may be cut in half if sourced from an individual from Asian suppliers etc but unfortunately this is not how a sustainable business can run :frowning:
I see your point. I have felt the same browsing similar projects in the past. If one can build their own we strongly encourage it and we provide all related info on our wiki.

Don’t get me wrong. I wish you success with the campaign. I just want to encourage you to exploit cost saving, which I expect to be simpler in a large scale than for an individual.

Cheers, David

Unfortunately in the scale below thousands the saving is not so great. Our most expensive parts remain the case (see my previous post) and the Pi itself.

Hello @info2 ,
I have a question regarding support of european systems. Will the HestiaPi support the Junkers 1-2-4 analog wiring standard. So far only Tado supports this and I would love an opensource alternative.
Best of luck with the campaign Johannes

Very true to get the price down you need a run of 5,000 minimum and with 4 solid state relays the price for all the components all add up. People never value your time doing the programming, packing and QC etc… Good luck and great to see some exposure for Openhab in the process too.

1 Like

This is the first time the Junkers 1-2-4 analog wiring has been asked. Is that an open standard or is it proprietary?

Apparently this is just the labelling of the wires:

They look compatible yes.

AFAIK 1-2-4 is just a count of analog interface.
This is the open source implementation for Junkers next generation HT3 interface. https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/317004

1 Like

Thanks stalkk. That’s great!
Welcome to the party :wink: