Hello to all,
I’m after some advice and some initial pointers in the right direction.
I’ve been playing with Raspberry Pis and Arduinos for a little while now playing with buttons, sensors, relays, etc. I’ve even bought a roller shutter door sensor as below and written a simulation for sensing when our garage door is open / closed.
Now it’s time to progress a bit further and make these “Real World” solutions and hence I’ve stumbled upon openHAB. I’ve played around a bit the last couple of days to get familiar and it’s good as now it looks like I have a handy platform to check and notify me if my webserver goes down
I have a working openHAB server on a Pi3, I’ve also installed Mosquitto and subsequently have the MQTT Broker connected.
So my next conundrum is how I get my thus far standalone garage door systems connected and “talking” to openHAB, and this is where I could do with an experienced voice please.
My queries are:
- How do I get the Arduino (nano or uno) to connect to openHAB? If this is even possible!!!
- My research has highlighted another possible platform, the ESP8266 or ESP32. What are these? Are they like a slimmed down version of the Arduino but with inbuilt WIFI?
- Can you program the ESP8266 like the Arduino?
- Is there a steep learning curve moving from the Arduino to the ESP8266 or are they much the same?
- Is moving platform even what I should be looking at?
Initially all I want to do is display in openHAB whether the Garage Door is open, i.e. the sensor is open or closed much the same as the Network Binding shows whether a device is on or off. Hopefully from there I’ll be able to fly as I’m sure working back the other way to control the opening will be a logical step.
I have tons of Raspberry Pis knocking around so could use one of these to get going or to learn, but long term it seems that having a Raspberry Pi running for a garage door sensor and switch seems a little overkill.
- Platform information:
- Hardware: RaspberryPi 3 Model B
- OS: Raspbian Stretch
- Java Runtime Environment: Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
- openHAB version: openHAB 2.4.0 Release Build