Homekit (addon 2.5.5) lightbulb brightness - dimmer not working

Using Openhab 2.5.5 and the paperui installed homekit addon dimmable lights are only switchable.
Feeeback of brightness value works. But setting brightness through ios Home is not possible. I’ve tried this:

• with the old tags
  • light as a group with seperate switch
  • with color instead of dimmer.

Does anybody here know if i did something wrong? Or is it a bug in the latest version?

In openhab log i can find:

[WARN ] [ssories.HomekitCharacteristicFactory] - Item type Dimmer is not supported for FF_LivingRoom_Haard. Only Color type is supported.

Item configuration:

Dimmer FF_LivingRoom_Haard "haard" <light> (FF_LivingRoom) {homekit="Lighting, Lighting.OnState, Lighting.Brightness", channel="knx:device:bridge:generic:living_haard"}

I think it’s a bug.

Hey H102. My case is slightly different.
The thing is… my dimmer is correctly found and shown in iOS home app. I can use the slider, but when i set it to eg 50% only ON command is sent to the item. The percentage value is not sent as a command. Although a value update of the dimmer item to 50% is logged.

Does this happen with iOS home app only or from other as well?

habpanel and paperui function correctly. Have dropped google assistant and axexa in favor of Homekit (like it best, fastest solution for me with a very high wife acceptance factor)

I can only suggest looking thru both opened and closed issues on github. If you don’t find one similar to yours then open a new issue.

@2xPower so, if you change Brightness in home, does it get changed in paper ui?

I believed so, but upon further testing: no this is not the case. When the Brightness is updated in the Home app, this does not have any impact on the openhab Item. Aside from the ‘ON’ command.

When i change the value through PaperUI, the (%) value of the dimmer is updated in the Home app, when the item state is refreshed (swithing screens in the Home app).

A log of chaning the brightness value in the Home app:

2020-05-11 19:08:14.646 [DEBUG] [.server.impl.http.impl.BinaryHandler] - Received data [/10.0.1.62:51886]:

PUT /characteristics HTTP/1.1

Host: openHAB._hap._tcp.local

Content-Length: 94

Content-Type: application/hap+json

{"characteristics":[{"aid":608082418,"iid":9,"value":1},{"aid":608082418,"iid":10,"value":4}]}

2020-05-11 19:08:14.652 [WARN ] [ssories.HomekitCharacteristicFactory] - Item type Dimmer is not supported for FF_LivingRoom_Haard. Only Color type is supported.

2020-05-11 19:08:14.654 [INFO ] [er.impl.http.HomekitClientConnection] - 204 /characteristics

2020-05-11 19:08:14.658 [DEBUG] [.server.impl.http.impl.BinaryHandler] - Sending data [/10.0.1.62:51886]:

HTTP/1.1 204 No Content

Content-type: application/hap+json

Connection: keep-alive

2020-05-11 19:08:14.660 [TRACE] [server.impl.http.impl.LoggingHandler] - WRITE PooledUnsafeDirectByteBuf(ridx: 0, widx: 105, cap: 256) [/10.0.1.62:51886]:

57003C0701461DB7FE45219AC4A3F4A4AF70CDC544B0D551AB9E882D1B2D0C56AFD2B71606F1A984FF91ECC83536D9875E8ED14530555529853046A28C202A53EC900F6B5EADD15DBDF957E9C00FC30FB032694A3BDAF3E0EE66186F8D3886272052ABE5DBA0287FC0

==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==

2020-05-11 19:08:14.670 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'FF_LivingRoom_Haard' received command ON

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==

2020-05-11 19:08:14.711 [DEBUG] [nx.internal.client.AbstractKNXClient] - Wrote value 'ON' to datapoint 'command DP 1/0/4 'knx:ip:bridge', DPT id 1.001, low priority' (0. attempt).

just checked the source code. only the ColorItem is supported. sorry for that.
fix is on the way.

1 Like

What is the dimmer you are using?
I use Lutron Caseta with the Lutron Caseta Hub Pro.

Lutron Caseta devices and pro hub are directly accessible from Homekit, and, with the Lutron plugin, Openhab.

Lutron hub keeps both Homekit and Openhab updated with the latest status of a device.
While I use the Openhab Homekit plugin, I neither need it nor use it for my Lutron devices.

If I change a light’s brightness using the Homekit Home App, it is immediately reflected in the OpenHab paper ui.
If I change a light’s brightness using the OpenHab paper ui, it is immediately reflected in the Homekit Home App.

The only downside to Lutron Caseta is it’s expensive. Prices range from $45 to $90 for a dimmer, depending on where you buy it.

@2xPower
but this configuration work on my side
Color legacy_color_light_dimmable "Legacy Color Light Dimmable" ["DimmableLighting"]

@yfre Thank you again :slightly_smiling_face:!
Color does the trick - thought i tried it as a part of a complex item (with the new style meta data) but must have done something wrong.
I must say - comparing to the homebridge-openhab2-complete - the addon is now really gaining ground. It is much faster, support for thermostat item is better. Some items are missing but none that i need at the moment.

Movement, lock, moterised locks, light, dimmer, contact and temperature sensors are all working.
I’ve experienced two pairing failures, a lot of reïnitializations because item file typo’s (which for 68 homekit accessories is a lot of work to assign room, type, status, etc). But in all: very nice work!

When you say “fix is on the way” – what repo / branch would that be? I’ve cloned the openhab addons 2.5.4

1 Like

@smitopher most of my devices use knx protocol/standard. In all 38 dimmers, most of them 1-10v from Gira. Then 30 knx switches (outlets, non dimmable lighting, locks), a thermostat in every room, about 48 contactsensors, 6 heating/cooling inverters, 12 motorized blinds/curtains…
The only non-knx items are from Buderus (solar/gas heating) - integrated via km200 gateway wich translates buderus bus items to opanhab items, doorbird (http integration), …

@2xPower thank you for your feedback.

regarding assigning accessories to a room, status. i know your pain. i have around 60 accessories and i had to do this exercises few times as well. but there is nothing we can do from server side.

the fix for dimmer was this PR https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/pull/7605 that just got merged to 2.5.x.

Sounds like you got a very substantial and established setup.
I hope you quickly get your issue worked out…

I use the Homekit plugin for exposing my DYI/Homebrew devices in OpenHab to Homekit.

hi @2xPower
Can you share how did you make light as a group with seperate switch?
I tried as below but only 1 switch is showing.

Group   gLight_LivR_OC                                  "OrnamentCabine Group"                                           {homekit="Lighting"}
String  Light_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL_name      "OrnamentCabine"                   (gLight_LivR_OC)        {homekit="Name"}
Switch	Light_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL_SW 	    "OrnamentCabine Main Light"			<spotlighting2>	(GH_Living, gSonoff, gLightOC, gLight_LivR_OC)  {channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:LightSwitch", channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:LightStatus", homekit="Lighting, Lighting.OnState" }
Switch	Light_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetSubL_SW		    "OrnamentCabine Sub Light"			<spotlighting2>	(GH_Living, gSonoff, gLightOC, gLight_LivR_OC)  {channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:Light2Switch", channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:Light2Status", homekit="Lighting, Lighting.OnState" }

openhab> homekit printAccessory 647410175
647410175 OrnamentCabine
Services:
Service Type: 00000043-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291
Characteristics:
: class io.github.hapjava.characteristics.impl.common.OnCharacteristic
: class io.github.hapjava.characteristics.impl.common.NameCharacteristic

to be honest - i don’t have any groups defined in openhab/homekit.
I group on the lower level (knx in my case).

For your use case: just define the items seperatly and combine them in the iOS home app (remove the gLight_livR_OC group)?

do you want to have 2 lights or 2 lights + group that controls both lights?
btw, you probably dont need name as item. it is only fo the case the item name can change.

try following configurations.
2 lights (remove homekit from group):

Group   gLight_LivR_OC                                  "OrnamentCabine Group"                                           
Switch	Light_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL_SW 	    "OrnamentCabine Main Light"			<spotlighting2>	(GH_Living, gSonoff, gLightOC, gLight_LivR_OC)  {channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:LightSwitch", channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:LightStatus", homekit="Lighting" }
Switch	Light_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetSubL_SW		    "OrnamentCabine Sub Light"			<spotlighting2>	(GH_Living, gSonoff, gLightOC, gLight_LivR_OC)  {channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:Light2Switch", channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:Light2Status", homekit="Lighting" }

2 lights + group (add switch to Group)

Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)    gLight_LivR_OC               "OrnamentCabine Group" {homekit="Lighting"}                                       
Switch	Light_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL_SW 	    "OrnamentCabine Main Light"			<spotlighting2>	(GH_Living, gSonoff, gLightOC, gLight_LivR_OC)  {channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:LightSwitch", channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:LightStatus", homekit="Lighting" }
Switch	Light_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetSubL_SW		    "OrnamentCabine Sub Light"			<spotlighting2>	(GH_Living, gSonoff, gLightOC, gLight_LivR_OC)  {channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:Light2Switch", channel="mqtt:topic:OpenHabSer:Sonoff_LivingRoom_OrnamentCabinetMainL:Light2Status", homekit="Lighting" }

or you can do as suggested by @2xPower a group or scene in home app.

I am looking for a way that have 1 icon with 2 or multi switch, I able to do it by homebridge openhab plugin, but I am much prefer on native openhab

as you can see from above pic, I can choice which light to be on and each light have it’s own name

it looks like multiple services linked to one accessory.
im afraid, this is not supported by openHAB binding yet.
how you define it in homebridge? are there examples/description in internet?