Homekit console commands not working in 2.5.6

:frowning: sure, logs are interesting. especially the one with exception. i dont need the complete exception log but the second part towards the end starting with
"Caused by: "
e.g. key part from the log in previous message would be

"Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.math.BigInteger.(BigInteger.java:415) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
at java.math.BigInteger.(BigInteger.java:606) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
at org.openhab.io.homekit.internal.HomekitAuthInfoImpl.initializeStorage(HomekitAuthInfoImpl.java:115) ~[?:?]"

since when you have crashes? after you have installed homekit binding? i would try then to deinstall homekit binding and run it for 2-3 days just to see how behave.

not sure if I can provide the requested log. I’m just starting to get into the log functionality.

Please find my observations bellow:

1 )
I couldn’t find “caused by” in the log. I used the following command:
log:display | grep caused

the same applies for
log:display | grep homekit

but I realised that “org.openhab.io.homekit” was not mentioned in the logger list.
now it is (log:set TRACE org.openhab.io.homekit), but there wasn’t anything logged with homekit in the last 30’

2 )
Just for the sake of clarity:
It was only homekit that stoped working after openhab was running for a while (about an hour or so). Openhab by itself didn’t stopped working. However I got the impression, that openhab started to lag a bit from time to time.

I made a copy of the entire log since the last 48 h. I can provide you this as a text file, if you are interested.

I will now uninstall the entire homekit part, clear the logs and reboot openhab (2.5.6 stable) and see how it behaves.

Best,
Simon

I have the same problem.

For reasons that I now regret, I recently flashed my Pi and rebuilt the OpenHAB config to then find that I had lost access to my previously working Homekit service. I tried a few things- different settings and multiple entire rebuilds, to come up empty. I’m not a power-user on Linux/Pi so troubleshooting was a slow process.

Anyway, finally found this thread. I checked the log and noticed the same Java error messages regarding Homekit. Tried the snapshot build and lo my OpenHAB accessory is now discoverable via Homekit. Its not stable as before but at-least now I know what the problem is. Hope a stable fix will follow soon.

Regards,
G

@The_G good to hear that the snapshot has solved your issue. can you tell what is exactly unstable so that we know what needs to be fixed.

I’ve noticed that Homekit seems to lose connection to the OpenHAB accessory. Also, if I clear Homekit (delete app and reinstall on iPhone) and search for accessories, it shows the OpenHAB accessory but sometimes timesout out when trying to add it. It might just be my build, I’ll do a fresh install from the snapshot repository and see how it goes.

Thanks! You just made my Sunday evening. I’m trying to fix this for some days now and never came across this thread. Worked perfectly fine with the 2.5.7-SNAPSHOT. Cheers, Gernot

I’ve tried to install the binding but I’m getting the following error:

2020-07-02 20:23:33.887 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.io.homekit-2.5.7-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.io.homekit [263]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: io.netty.bootstrap; version=“[4.1.0,5.0.0)”
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:383) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

I uninstalled the standard binding and put the .jar file into /usr/share/openhab2/addons. Am I doing it right?

Thank you

it is better to install from repository - it will download all required library automatically.

for this, execute in karaf console

install https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-pullrequest-local/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.io.homekit/2.5.7-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.io.homekit-2.5.7-SNAPSHOT.jar

or if binding already there

update <id of homekit binding> https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-pullrequest-local/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.io.homekit/2.5.7-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.io.homekit-2.5.7-SNAPSHOT.jar

it looks like this.

more details how to login to karaf console in this post

2 Likes

Updating the binding seems to work fine. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks. It worked perfectly for me. It is definetly a bug on 2.5.6. Updating to 2.5.7-snapshot fixed the issue.

1 Like