[homekit] "No response" error on all openHAB items

just to confirm, you still can see the homekit accessories form wired devices but not from wireless, correct?

1 Like

All devices fail here, either wired or wireless. Strange, as this worked for about a year without issue, even with IPv6 enabled.

hello

i can indeed see better performance now.
I looked like 10 times on my iPhone, Apple Watch and Macbook and on the iPhone it just showed offline once. but it reconnected shortly after (10 - 15 seconds).
i could also switch the lights off and on although it showed offline (same i had yesterday once)

• strange. (see picture)
    same on my macbook. it showed everything as offline and healed itself after 1 min or so - the other devices showed online during this time.

Hello
Not a single issue today.
I was implementing all of my shutters with blades an it worked great!

What network HW are you using, @Jorggs ?

Currently Openhabian (snapshot 3.1.0 build) on a Pi4 IPv6 disabled, linksys router with openwrt running on it. IPv6 disabled, 2 local DNS servers running pihole. Using airport expresses/extremes as wireless access points.

What’s strange for me is that this was all working absolutely perfectly for a year and NEVER caused an issue.

It was only when issues occurred that I disabled all IPv6 as a response in order to resolve this new issue.

I am now wondering if the airports are causing the issue as it is impossible to completely disable IPv6 on them (they will always use it for local link traffic) and therefore the Apple TV I use as the HomeKit hub to allow remote access is using it.

The strangest thing is the previous stability I got with it. I’ve tried using earlier builds of openhab to see if that resolves the issue, but to no avail. Personally I think there must be some change outside of openhab and the binding that is causing the issue.

I had problems between the end of April until last weekend. Since my openHAB installation was not updated during this period, I strongly believe that the problem was caused by an OS update. The problems started after I received an OS update and disappeared after another one. So my understanding is that the problems should be independent of openHAB and a router. It’s just a guess, but updating the OS as soon as possible can’t be wrong. I appreciate feedback if anyone has had the same experience.

openHAB 3.0 and binding have upgraded the mDNS library. new version library has fixed some issue, but maybe added new once.
one of the most prominent is that one, which got fixed 9 days ago (but not released yet)

but it could something else. in general, homekit binding has not changed that much from 2.x to 3.x

I used a old iPad Air as HomeKit hub - was pretty slow. If my iPhone was connected to the network the phone pulled states directly from openHAB so this was faster. I don’t have any problems since my HomePod mini arrived: its always on and fast.
I don’t have experience with MacBook or AppleTV.

1 Like

I just updated today to the last stable 3.1.0 docker Version of openHAB, but still having the issue, that after a clean startup of openHAB HomeKit is not working. So I have to enable / disable “Use openHAB mDNS service”, then everything is running fine. I have no errors in the log file. Am I the only one with that problem?

2 Likes

multiple users have reported similar issue in combination docker with ipv6. disabling ipv6 support at docker level solve this issue for many.

So there won’t be a fix for that problem? Does someone has it working with ipv6 disabled in Docker only? And how did you configure that?

I did it that way:
Creating that file /etc/sysctl.d/10-disable_ipv6.conf with:

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

to enable without rebooting the system use this command on the Linux Shell:

sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

Then I created the /etc/docker/daemon.json with that configuration:

{
  "ipv6": false
}

After systemctl restart docker It seems that HomeKit is working without switching mDNS Option on and off.

1 Like

I don’t use Docker but I had issues that past two months. Sometimes it worked for a longer time, then it I had issues every two three days. In any case that is not reliable as I use HomeKit for some automation task like presence detection.

I have now successfully disabled ipv6 following How to disable IPv6 in Raspbian [WORKING] – CWESystems and will keep you posted.

I am having the same issue. Don’t use docker as well. I also have a hue bridge in the same network which is always visible in the discovery app (_hap._tcp dmain). The OpenHab entry disapears some time after the restart of openhab or just the bundle (bundle:restart ).
Due to the fact that the hue bridge is working, I would eliminate problems with a wrong configured access point. If OpenHAB is visible in the discovery app, it shows the IPv4 address.

I‘m facing a similar issue since I updated to OH 3.1 stable.
With the previous 3.1.0Mx releases I didn’t see the behavior. Maybe it’s by coincidence only.
Every time my internet connection is down, the HomeKit doesn‘t work anymore.
Bundle restart does not solve the problem anymore.
Something has changed, but not sure what.

Update: I get it work again by toggling the option

„Use openHAB mDNS service“

I saw the same issue yesterday after I had also an offline internet connection. Before that offline issue everything worked well for weeks. Also on openHAB 3.1 and I had switched the mDNS Switch on and off again, too. After that it worked again.

I have the issue again, but neither toggling nor bundle restart does help this time.

Seems I have to remove the OH from Homekit and re-add it again.
This always worked the last time…

Any other idea?

Many thanks.
Stefan

hmm. strange. any error in OH logs?

try to restart OH completely or even docker container if you use one.

as long as the mac address of the device (iphone) does not change there should be no need to re-pair/re-add it.

Same here.

After the move from 3.1M5 to 3.1 all HomeKit devices where offline, also those directly working with HomeKit.

Removing OH from HomeKit and re adding the devices worked.

I did this already. I deleted the old docker container and installed it again.

I cannot see any errors in the logfile.
Does it make sense to trace something?

if you have access to openhab karaf console, you can try to increase log level with

log;set TRACE org.openhab.io.homekit
log:set TRACE io.github.hapjava