[homekit] "No response" error on all openHAB items

I have disabled ipv6 in my linux kernel completely where openhab runs… lets see if it helps. Re-established all accessories again in Home App, for now few hours — works ok

Thanks

This workaround still is very reliable. No disconnects since that here with my setup. Does this need to be a permanent solutions or will there be a fix at some point?

if you dont need ipv6 i would keep it disabled. it can create headaches not only with openHAB.
i have also committed a fix that use the “old” logic for mDNS

maybe it will help to keep ipv6 enabled.
it is not merged yet, so you cannot test yet

IPv6 seems to be the problem (well or how ipv6 is handled in OH/homekit-binding). More than 24h — no issues so far

1 Like

I think at this point we can confirm that ipv6 stack enabled causes the problem. Hopefully it will be fixed in the future.

Since the moment of disabling it (few days so far) — home app works perfectly, no disconnections all great

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks vlas for the update and confirmation. But how would that setup work for a dockerized environment? I’m running the latest 3.1.0-M2 docker image on my Synology NAS in host mode and struggle to understand how the ipv6 stack could be disabled in such a setup?

Never mind…I disabled it within Synology NAS, let’s see…

Fortunately this wont be a problem in 3.1.0.M3 as the PR eugen committed has been merged which fixes it in my docker environment without touching ipv6 stack.

2 Likes

Deactivating IPv6 for my entire Raspberry Pi solved the issue for me!

Do you know if there’s a way to run the bundle:refresh command from a Rule (or something else that can be scheduled to run regularly) on systems that don’t include openhab-cli (e.g. Mac)? At the moment I’m just manually entering the command in the Karaf console from time to time, but would be nice to be able to schedule it to run.

Looks like .M3 has solved the problem - my homekit binding has been responding perfectly ever since the update, no need for bundle:refresh.

What did you configured? I am using openhab M3 in a docker environment and if I disable “Use openHAB mDNS service” then the HomeKit could not connect to openHab. If it is enabled, everything works. But my test is not long enough to say, that everything is working fine.

I didn’t change my configuration at all from M2 to M3 (or indeed from 3.0.1 to 3.1.0.M2), so it’s just on the default setup for HomeKit. The default in my setup appears to be “Use openHAB mDNS service” set to off.

please make sure you have configured correct ip address in homekit binding setting. it should the ip address / interface which is accessible from outside or via docker ingress

I can confirm same issue on RasPi/ openHAB3 setup, no docker container.

the challenge with “no response” error is that it is very generic error and could have a number of total different root causes, from network issue, additional homekit bridges like apple tv, to actual issue with homekit add on.

Olaf, was it working before on other /older version of homekit binding? does it works sometime or you always have “no response”?

I just upgraded to openhab 3.1.0m3 , homekit snapshot of today, and turned ipv6 off. I will report back if I get the disconnect error again.

I played around a little bit, and can say, that it is not really working on my end. If I enable the “Use openHAB mDNS service” then it is working about 24h. If I disable it, it is only working till the container gets restarted. Then I have to enable “Use openHAB mDNS service” and disable it again, then it is running until the next container restart. I think that must be something with mdns, because I can see it in my mdns Browser App. Am I doing something wrong? I put in the Main IP address of my Raspberry Pi (so 192.168.20.10), the Container is using network mode host and even a bundle restart did not work for me. Any ideas?

Is there a definitive fix for the HomeKit add on seemingly disconnecting and leaving the accessories in a ‘no response’ state? I’ve disabled all elements of IP6 from the openHAB server and also turned it off on my router. I’m still having this issue occur every hour or so. I can kickstart it again by simply changing the port number that the HomeKit add on works on, I don’t have to restart the bundle or clear pairings.

Has anyone any idea how I can get it to be more stable? Apologies, I know this has been discussed previously, but I’m still none the wiser as to the best way to resolve it.

@alaub81 yes, it sounds like mDNS issue. what you see in the mdns browser app before you restart (when it doesnot work) and after the restart, when it works? do you see _hap services and openHAB there? what is the ip and port stored in that record?

@Jorggs please check with mdns browser app, e.g. discovery app as describe here HomeKit Add-on - System Integrations | openHAB
maybe it still binds to your ipv6