Homekit stops working after restart and item/thing change OH 3.0.2

Hello there,

i am running OH 3.0.2 (openhabian) on my Ubuntu VM and was able to add openHAB to my Home.app.
Unfortunately it stopps working when i change the items file or restart my VM.

I also tried a bundle restart command in the cli but it does not come back to life again.
Here’s what i got from the console after i restarted the bundle:

2021-04-29 14:47:07.844 [INFO ] [mekit.internal.HomekitChangeListener] - Created 3 HomeKit items.
2021-04-29 14:47:12.107 [WARN ] [.server.impl.connections.HttpSession] - Exception encountered while verifying pairing
java.lang.Exception: Unknown user: 69E01A77-CEB2-404E-B2B5-BF55A7A62DDF
	at io.github.hapjava.server.impl.pairing.PairVerificationManager.stage2(PairVerificationManager.java:113) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at io.github.hapjava.server.impl.pairing.PairVerificationManager.handle(PairVerificationManager.java:51) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at io.github.hapjava.server.impl.connections.HttpSession.handlePairVerify(HttpSession.java:127) [bundleFile:?]
	at io.github.hapjava.server.impl.connections.HttpSession.handleRequest(HttpSession.java:56) [bundleFile:?]
	at io.github.hapjava.server.impl.connections.ConnectionImpl.doHandleRequest(ConnectionImpl.java:56) [bundleFile:?]
	at io.github.hapjava.server.impl.connections.ConnectionImpl.handleRequest(ConnectionImpl.java:49) [bundleFile:?]
	at io.github.hapjava.server.impl.http.impl.AccessoryHandler.channelRead0(AccessoryHandler.java:52) [bundleFile:?]
	at io.github.hapjava.server.impl.http.impl.AccessoryHandler.channelRead0(AccessoryHandler.java:17) [bundleFile:?]
	at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105) [bundleFile:4.1.42.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:374) [bundleFile:4.1.42.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.access$600(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:56) [bundleFile:4.1.42.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext$7.run(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:365) [bundleFile:4.1.42.Final]
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultEventExecutor.run(DefaultEventExecutor.java:66) [bundleFile:4.1.42.Final]
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$6.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:1044) [bundleFile:4.1.42.Final]
	at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74) [bundleFile:4.1.42.Final]
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30) [bundleFile:4.1.42.Final]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]

Do you have any idea what i am doing wrong?
Thank you!

Hi Jonas,

please try to disable private address for you home wlan on your ios device, see here
Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support.

background:
openHAB uses mac address of device to identify the device/user. if private address is enable then ios generate every time new mac address. great for privacy but bad for devices in home network.

Hello

i did that - on my ipad (which is a homekit controller) and on my iphone.
thanks for pointing that out.

It worked for a while but i can monitor a strange behaviour:
sometimes the items show disconnected but it seems to “heal” itself - i don’t do anything and a few hours later the devices are online again. i witnessed that multiple times now … i try to dig into the logs and report back. thank you!

1 Like