Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Programmable Thermostat (TH6320ZW2003)

The term “thermostat” seems to have different meanings, depending on ones location. Here it is basically something you put onto a heating valve in order to control the flow of hot water into a radiator. Your device is something totally different. I was not aware of this. My apologies, my answer does not fit.

I have added AWAY and AUTO as options, so this should be displayed ok once this flows through.

1 Like

This should allow me to configure OH exactly how i want. Manage presence and temp override a setpoint. The Thermostat will manage the schedule and setpoints.

OH 3.2 is now frozen, I presume it will be in the next OH 3.3 snapshot?

I don’t know that I understand “exactly what you want” so I can’t say. It will allow you to set the mode to AWAY or AUTO - I don’t know what this does in the thermostat.

I will try and do one last update of the database.

@chris I updated my OH first to 3.2 release and my Thermostat had no channels, I updated to the 3.3 snapshot and It’s still the same.

Is there a problem with my OH update?

src/main/resources/OH-INF/thing/honeywell/th6320zw_0_0.xml was deleted in PR 1702 Database update by cdjackson · Pull Request #1702 · openhab/org.openhab.binding.zwave · GitHub

It didn’t get included in the last update so will be in the next snapshot tonight or tomorrow.

@chris The latest snapshot has the updates

I then tested by sending mode updates thru the Menu UI
I tested changing Thermostat mode by cycling through

1. Auto to Heat
  2. Heat to Cool
  3. Cool to Auto

The Thermostat showed exactly what I expected with the setpoint and mode updating on the Thermostat display set point, mode, and “Auto Change On” for Auto mode

I then tried to set the Mode to Away

There was no change. Here is the debug log.

events.log (214.4 KB)

In the log I see this

2021-12-21 09:40:41.223 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 9: Command received zwave:device:a9db510670:node9:thermostat_mode --> 13 [DecimalType]
2021-12-21 09:40:41.224 [DEBUG] [lass.ZWaveThermostatModeCommandClass] - NODE 9: setValueMessage 13, modeType empty false
2021-12-21 09:40:41.224 [ERROR] [lass.ZWaveThermostatModeCommandClass] - NODE 9: Unsupported mode type 13
2021-12-21 09:40:41.224 [WARN ] [nverter.ZWaveThermostatModeConverter] - NODE 9: Generating message failed for command class = COMMAND_CLASS_THERMOSTAT_MODE, endpoint = 0
2021-12-21 09:40:41.225 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 9: No messages returned from converter

The Honeywell install guide says that “Away mode” is triggered by the z-wave controller.
What are your thoughts?

Edit:
The Thing config
Schedule Type is “1” (Single schedule)
Auto Changeover is “1” (manual states this is On/Off. I presume “1” is On)

When the binding interviews the device, it reads out the list of modes supported by the device. What we see here is a statement that the binding thinks that mode 13 (AWAY) is not supported by the device. Can you post the XML file for this device (it’s in the userdata/zwave/xxx folder - where xxx is the controller name).

@chris
network_dd8d87c1__node_9.xml (14.2 KB)

interesting

<COMMAND__CLASS__THERMOSTAT__MODE>
              <version>1</version>
              <instances>1</instances>
              <control>false</control>
              <versionSupported>3</versionSupported>
              <modeTypes>
                <modeType>OFF</modeType>
                <modeType>HEAT</modeType>
                <modeType>COOL</modeType>
                <modeType>AUTO</modeType>
                <modeType>AUX_HEAT</modeType>
                <modeType>HEAT_ECON</modeType>
                <modeType>COOL_ECON</modeType>
              </modeTypes>
              <isGetSupported>true</isGetSupported>
            </COMMAND__CLASS__THERMOSTAT__MODE>

Yep. So, I would suggest the following.

1. Stop OH - or at least stop the ZWave binding.
  2. Edit the XML to add AWAY to the list
  3. Restart and try to send the AWAY command.

This should remove the “unsupported” error that you had, and the binding will try and send the command to the device and we can see what happens.

Sending the command

_   _     _     ____
   ___   ___   ___   ___  | | | |   / \   | __ )
  / _ \ / _ \ / _ \ / _ \ | |_| |  / _ \  |  _ \
 | (_) | (_) |  __/| | | ||  _  | / ___ \ | |_) )
  \___/|  __/ \___/|_| |_||_| |_|/_/   \_\|____/
       |_|       3.3.0-SNAPSHOT - Build #2652

Use '<tab>' for a list of available commands
and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command.
To exit, use '<ctrl-d>' or 'logout'.

openhab> openhab:send Thermostat_Thermostatmode 13
Command has been sent successfully.
openhab>

Nothing happens on the Thermostat display

Event Log

2021-12-21 13:33:07.741 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'Thermostat_Thermostatmode' received command 13
2021-12-21 13:33:07.745 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item 'Thermostat_Thermostatmode' predicted to become 13
2021-12-21 13:33:07.752 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Thermostat_Thermostatmode' changed from 3 to 13
2021-12-21 13:33:09.393 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Thermostat_Thermostatmode' changed from 13 to 3

The thermostat resets itself back to Auto

No messages in the openhab.log

Set zwave loging to debug and tried again

openhab.log (164.3 KB)

That was noisy

Thanks, I think this confirms that the device doesn’t support the AWAY mode -:

• It doesn’t report this mode as part of the interview
  • When the binding commands this mode, and then reads the mode back, it has not been set, but reported back as mode 3 (which is AUTO).

Would this be manufacture specific extensions? The install guide definitely has AWAY as supported.

I will reach out to Honeywell support

No - this is standard.

Maybe there are different firmware versions of this device - that’s no uncommon - make sure you have the manual for your firmware version.

@chris
I’m getting very little help from Honeywell. They keep telling me to go to my installer.

Reading the install manual, I notice that it does not refer to “Away” as a mode, rather as a schedule “Period”

Perhaps “Away” is not a mode but part of some z-wave schedule api?

Honeywell/Resideo WILL NOT provide any direct homeowner support for this thermostat. They will only refer you to a “Pro Installer”. Most Pro Installers have no interest is servicing or supporting a single residential thermostat. I found ONE HVAC contractor that is a “Pro Installer” that offered to research this for me and was actually quite open to helping. I found one other HVAC contractor that while not a “Pro Installer”, offered to try to get me the Honeywell Z-Wave reference.

This thermostat is quite full featured and has full local control. I really did not want to go with a Nest or Ecobee. I hope that I can get this last “Away” Schedule period trigger resolved, then I will feel I have implemented a good solution.

I will update this thread with my experience.

1 Like

Something I learned today
My HVAC contractor came by and we were discussing my Thermostat.
We tried setting the Thermostat mode in OH web UI to “Economy Heat”
That set the Thermostat display to

• Period Away
  • Cool setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for AWAY
  • Heat setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for AWAY
  • Mode to Heat
  • Auto changeover set to not enabled

We tried setting the Thermostat mode in OH web UI to “Economy Cool”

• Period Away
  • Cool setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for AWAY
  • Heat setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for AWAY
  • Mode to Cool
  • Auto changeover set to not enabled

We tried setting the Thermostat mode in OH web UI to “Auto”

• Period Home (This is during the configured HOME period)
  • Cool setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for HOME
  • Heat setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for HOME
  • Mode was not changed from the previous value
  • Auto changeover set to enabled

My HVAC contractor opined that this is in line on how the commercial Honeywell systems work. According to him, the commercial systems presence setup do not have upper/lower setpoints with auto changeover for when occupancy is configured for empty. There is either HEAT or Cool mode and the setpoint for that mode.

I did not like that answer but it matched the observed behavior.

Interesting items in the manual.

• Connecting this to Z-wave network turns off programing of the thermostat (let the controller program…not the local program)
  • There may be a way to enable that further in a menu item
  • Home/Away (Energy Saving) Looks to me like “Away” is ESM or energy saving mode, possible that is some config parameter rather than a command. (I have not checked if there are any specs on all of the config parameters.)

Or those are the “Away” modes energy saving