Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Programmable Thermostat (TH6320ZW2003)

Something I learned today
My HVAC contractor came by and we were discussing my Thermostat.
We tried setting the Thermostat mode in OH web UI to “Economy Heat”
That set the Thermostat display to

• Period Away
  • Cool setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for AWAY
  • Heat setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for AWAY
  • Mode to Heat
  • Auto changeover set to not enabled

We tried setting the Thermostat mode in OH web UI to “Economy Cool”

• Period Away
  • Cool setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for AWAY
  • Heat setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for AWAY
  • Mode to Cool
  • Auto changeover set to not enabled

We tried setting the Thermostat mode in OH web UI to “Auto”

• Period Home (This is during the configured HOME period)
  • Cool setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for HOME
  • Heat setpoint to the value configured in the thermostat for HOME
  • Mode was not changed from the previous value
  • Auto changeover set to enabled

My HVAC contractor opined that this is in line on how the commercial Honeywell systems work. According to him, the commercial systems presence setup do not have upper/lower setpoints with auto changeover for when occupancy is configured for empty. There is either HEAT or Cool mode and the setpoint for that mode.

I did not like that answer but it matched the observed behavior.

Interesting items in the manual.

• Connecting this to Z-wave network turns off programing of the thermostat (let the controller program…not the local program)
  • There may be a way to enable that further in a menu item
  • Home/Away (Energy Saving) Looks to me like “Away” is ESM or energy saving mode, possible that is some config parameter rather than a command. (I have not checked if there are any specs on all of the config parameters.)

Or those are the “Away” modes energy saving

You can re-enable on thermostat scheduling after connecting to zwave.

There is no “Away” mode, just the “HEAT_ECON” and “COOL_ECON” modes with NO “AUTO_ECON” mode :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. These modes display as “AWAY” on the thermostat and use the “AWAY” set points for the single mode “ECON” modes.

That there is no econ upper and lower setpoints in an AWAY mode is the only real drawback.

I successfully used the GPSTracker Binding and the OwnTracks app on my phone to define a geofence and switch between AUTO and HEAT_ECON modes where AUTO follows the schedule I programed into the thermostat schedule. I have not bothered to make the rule smart enough to choose between HEAT_ECON and COOL_ECON

If you think that is a STUPID restriction, I agree. But I already bought it. At least it has NO cloud connection.

Ahhh I see your use case. Needed when there could be large temp swings while away.
I hit this thread because I was thinking about switching from the trane xr524 (long story about multisensor v 5) and thought maybe I could be helpful, seem not.
(and in general I dont think this thermostat is for me)

Btw, really interesting solution you came up with regarding geofencing. Nice

Hello,
I’m not sure if my issues with the " Honeywell TH6320ZW T6 Pro Z-Wave" are related to this discussion. I’m using this thermostat without any problems since 2 years in OH. Last week I’ve updated from OH 3.1.0 to OH 3.2.0 (via official docker image) and the thermostat does not longer work in OH. My thing is shown status online, but I can’t use any item/channel (I’ve configured everything via files).

After digging around, I’ve tried to do a new additional Z-Wave scan and I found my thermostat with the same nodeId in the inbox with the hint “Unknown Device: Z-Wave Node 026 (0039:0011:0008:1.3)”, so I can’t see any channels etc.

My things file entry is:
Thing honeywell_th6320zw_00_000 tkitc_thermostat "Thermostat Kitchen: node26" @ "kitchen" [ node_id=26 ]

My item file entries are:

Number:Temperature aKITC_Thermostat_Setpoint_Cooling_Temp "Thermostat Kitchen Setpoint Cooling Temperature" <temperature> {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6
320zw_00_000:myzwave:tkitc_thermostat:thermostat_setpoint_cooling"}
Number:Temperature aKITC_Thermostat_Setpoint_Heating_Temp "Thermostat Kitchen Setpoint Heating Temperature" <temperature> {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6
320zw_00_000:myzwave:tkitc_thermostat:thermostat_setpoint_heating"}
Number aKITC_Thermostat_Mode_Value "Thermostat Kitchen Mode Value" <temperature> {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6320zw_00_000:myzwave:tkitc_thermostat:the
rmostat_mode"}
Number aKITC_Thermostat_FanMode_Value "Thermostat Kitchen FanMode Value" <temperature> {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6320zw_00_000:myzwave:tkitc_thermost
at:thermostat_fanmode"}
Number:Temperature vKITC_Thermostat_Current_Temp "Thermostat Kitchen Current Temperature" <temperature> {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6320zw_00_000:myzwa
ve:tkitc_thermostat:sensor_temperature"}
Number vKITC_Thermostat_Current_Humidity "Thermostat Kitchen Current Humidity" <temperature> {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6320zw_00_000:myzwave:tkitc_th
ermostat:sensor_relhumidity"}
Number vKITC_Thermostat_Operating_State_Value "Thermostat Kitchen Operating State Value" <temperature> {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6320zw_00_000:myzwav
e:tkitc_thermostat:thermostat_state"}
Number vKITC_Thermostat_Fan_State_Value "Thermostat Kitchen Fan State Value" <temperature> {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6320zw_00_000:myzwave:tkitc_ther
mostat:thermostat_fanstate"}
Number vKITC_Thermostat_Battery "Battery Thermostat Kitchen" <battery> (gBattery) {channel="zwave:honeywell_th6320zw_00_000:myzwave:tkitc_thermostat:battery-level"}

Is it an issue of OH 3.2? Or does my thermostat behave wrong?

Thanks,
Frank

There is a great deal of discussion over at My Z-Wave is borked about thing property validation

Ok, thanks! But does this belong only to OH 3.3 snapshot build? Is it possible that these problems also occur on OH 3.2? I ask, because all my (>50) other Z-Wave devices are working without any problems after updating from 3.1 to 3.2.

Also the status in the thing basic web view shows “online”!

I think it was determined that the issue may have been present in OH 3.2

I’m currently running 3.3 M1

ok, thank again. I will follow the other discussion from now on. Very interesting to read about is validation issues…

Also likely is that the device was missing from the database at the time 3.2.0 was put together (based on the last approval date in the DB). Once a device is modified it is removed from the binding until approved, then it is back. Use the latest snapshot with your 3.2 setup. See if that works.

Bob

1 Like

I found the following information at open smarthouse about the thermostat:

Last Approval 2021-12-20 18:54:08 OH-SNAPSHOT

But anyway, I will try what you’ve suggested. Just to make sure how to do it, because I’ve never changed an included bundle in OH (I think I should not try to change something on the filesystem level. Instead I should use the OH client console!?)

I found in the client console the following entry:
287 │ Active │ 80 │ 3.2.0 │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZWave Binding

Do in need to do a bundle:uninstall and a bundle:install with the new version? Or is something like bundle:update and/or bundle:refresh required?

I already have downloaded the new jar file org.openhab.binding.zwave-3.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar and placed it on a location where the OH process inside the docker container can access it.

Probably the easiest to try is the bundle:uninstall but I have not tried that before. Also using the UI to uninstall the binding should work. Then drop the new binding in the addons folder. Wait 30 seconds and pray. With the Rpi I need to add feature:install openhab-transport-serial, but I understand that may not be required with docker.

Bob

Ok, I solved it. I’ve stopped the 3.2.0 bundle via CLI and installed and started the 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT bundled via CLI. After a restart of the OH docker container the the new bundle is active and the problems are gone :slightly_smiling_face:
The old bundle is still in the bundle:list with the status Resolved but not longer with status Active - I think I can leave it like that.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Frank

Glad it worked. The key was the date. 3.2.0 release was right around mid-December. A DB entry can be in the modified state for a day or several days depending on how busy Chris is.

Bob

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Now I know what to if such problems may occur in future versions again.

The OH community is doing such a great job! Thanks to all!

Sorry to jump in on this thread, and I’m not sure whether you discovered how to enable AWAY and HOME modes or just came up with a workaround, but I did run across a somewhat obscure Honeywell document with some Z-wave implementation details that states:

Basic V1 (basic set command implementation):
• Value 0x00 Device goes to Energy saving setting (AWAY mode)
• Values 0x01-0x63 and 0xFF Device goes to Comfort setting (HOME mode)

I assume that sending 0x00 will put the thermostat into an “eco heat” setting when it would normally be in heating mode and “eco cool” when it would be cooling.

It also details how AWAY/HOME states are reported. Sorry I’m too noob to upload it but here is the link to Honeywell’s site: T6 Pro Z-Wave Programmable Thermostat SUBMITTAL SHEET

@chris Does this have anything interesting? It would be great if there was a way to send this command using the z-wave binding.

@steve_hoge I have not discovered a way to set Away mode, just eco heat and eco cool. The Thermostat just ignores the “AWAY” mode. There does not seem to be a way to set AWAY on the thermostat menu itself.

This SEEMS to suggest that this “V1 Basic” command could control a HOME/AWAY toggle, but @chris can let us know if this is in the wheelhouse of the z-wave binding or a manufacturer specific extension to the z-wave spec that cannot be realistically supported by the binding.

NOTES
Thermostat Mode V3:
• Some of the reported modes are manufacturer specific if not covered by the Z-Wave command class.
• The energy saving mode (Away state) is reported in “Manufacturer Data field 1” as follows:
0 = Energy Saving Auto. System mode is Auto, Away state is active
1 = Energy Saving EmHeat. System mode is EmHeat, Away state is active
Basic V1 (basic set command implementation):
• Value 0x00 Device goes to Energy saving setting (AWAY
mode)
• Values 0x01-0x63 and 0xFF Device goes to Comfort setting (HOME mode)
Notification V3:
• Notification V3 is enabled by default (Power management alarm handling). Notification Type: Power Management
(0x08). Notification Events: AC mains disconnected
(0x02), AC mains re-connected (0x03)
Security:
• All supported Z-Wave Command classes are supported securely (S2 unauthenticated), except Transport Service V2, Security 2 V1 and Z-Wave Plus Info V2 Association V2:
• Group ID: 1; Maximum Nodes: 1; Description:
• Z-Wave Plus Lifeline
• Command Classes reported: Multilevel Sensor, Thermostat Setpoint, Thermostat Mode
• Thermostat Fan Mode, Thermostat Operating State, Thermostat Fan State

Reading the spec, it looks like the manufacture data 1 is not a separate command or the Away mode.
Meaning on the send you have to select a “Manual or Manufacture specific Mode”
and a bit field for number of bytes.
and then those specific bytes.
I cant tell if the binding currently supports that or not.

No of Manufacturer Data fields (3 bits)
This field is used to advertise the length in bytes of the Manufacturer Data field in the command. This
field MUST be in the range 0..7.
This field MUST be set to 0 if the Mode field is not set to 0x1F (MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC).
This field MUST indicate the length in bytes of the Manufacturer Data field if the Mode field is set to
0x1F (MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC).
Mode (5 bits)
This field is used to set the thermostat mode at the receiving node

Below is from the binding
What is needed is not support for 13 away
but support for 31 (0x1F) followed by additional data

OFF(0, "Off"),
        HEAT(1, "Heat"),
        COOL(2, "Cool"),
        AUTO(3, "Auto"),
        AUX_HEAT(4, "Aux Heat"),
        RESUME(5, "Resume"),
        FAN_ONLY(6, "Fan Only"),
        FURNANCE(7, "Furnace"),
        DRY_AIR(8, "Dry Air"),
        MOIST_AIR(9, "Moist Air"),
        AUTO_CHANGEOVER(10, "Auto Changeover"),
        HEAT_ECON(11, "Heat Econ"),
        COOL_ECON(12, "Cool Econ"),
        AWAY(13, "Away"),
        FULL_POWER(15, "Full Power"),
        MANUAL(31, "Manual");

@chris I’m following up about what @bernie_xg described. Do you have any comments?