How big is your system? (NO HELP NEEDED) {CHAT}

Sounds like a good idea I like it you also told me too use zwave when I was going too do it for its reliability

1. I already had Wired DSC security system with ElvisLink interface, MyQ Wifi Garage opener, Ecobee. I just acquired a ZWave stick and a wall switch; if they work out, I will be getting a bunch more wall switches and motion sensors.

2. I am pretty new; stumbled on OpenHab by accident about 3 weeks ago.

3. 612 lines in /rules, but this includes comments.

4. I have no particular great features currently; mainly a bunch of alerts and automatic security system actions. A slightly more integrated one is to automatically unarm security system when the garage door is open and if it is determined that a owner is arriving home. Kind of hit and miss with the presence detection with my wife’s IPhone.

5. I have quite a long list of things to do next: use ZWave motion sensor and wall switches to automatically turn on/off light in the rooms; similar sensors to turn on the fan when someone is in the shower area; whole home energy monitor (e.g. Brultech GreenEye Monitor, expensive but looks very promising) to detect if the oven is stilled turned on while someone is leaving the house; algorithm to randomly turns on light/music when the house is in vacation mode (through the Ecobee setting). Longer term; automatic main water shut off when leak detected, and motorization of the windows blinds.

6. I am still early in this hobby but so far the wife already complained. She called me from work when she received an email with the title “Security system is in alarm: FIRE”. I was testing the alert rules at home and forgot to temporarily disable sending emails :slight_smile:

7. Not much so far, but I can see the cost exploding soon. ZWave devices are expensive. And that Brultech GEM system is close to $600 + electrician installation cost. I don’t think my wife would like this.

How big is your system (Sensors,Switches ect)

• around 400 items
  • a flat with full KNX/DALI - maybe 20 Lights, 60+ outlets, 10+ sensors and heating+venting
  • some home-brew extensions (3 Smarthomatic sensor-boxes, 4-room wired multi-room audio via mpd)

How long have you been working on your setup

• some years now, but only occasionally when I added new items/rules

How many lines of code run your rules (Total Lines of all files)

• today 1069 lines (output of: cat *.rules | wc -l)

What’s the best feature your system has

• the self built beamer lift and the hard wired multi-room audio :smiley:

What are you adding or doing next

• some remote sensors via MQTT to measure the reservoir fill state

Does everyone in your house like your system

• It’s not appreciated/noticed by the rest of the family, except something is not working as usual

how much has it all cost

• I don’t want to know :-:smirk: the KNX is still the most expensive part
1 Like

How big is your system (Sensors,Switches ect)
8 fire tablets (got them when they were $10 and $20 each), 2 echos, 1 pi, 4 cameras, 5 ESPs, 4 Zwave dimmers, 20 power circuits monitored with a TED 6000, 1 sonoff

How long have you been working on your setup
I have been aware of OpenHab since 1.8, but I only jumped in a few months ago (at my house)
Setup a demo at my work for people to see.

How many lines of code run your rules (Total Lines of all files)
5 line of code in OpenHab (Just to play sound on my tablets from NodeRed)
I run most of my rules/code in NodeRed about 6 “pages” of flows

What’s the best feature your system has
The thing that got me into this was building a control for my 20’ sliding gate, that I built from scratch.

The OpenMQTTGateway project is awesome for my little sensors / adapters.

Also my AC thermostat reverted to Celsius from Fahrenheit after plugging in the IR board, so the wife was very happy when she could control everything from the tablet in Fahrenheit.

What are you adding or doing next
Adding more sensors to my ACs for performance monitoring and condensation alerts.
Adding some more Sonoffs
Adding ceiling fan controls
Adding motorized pocket door

Does everyone in your house like your system
Everything has been very well received, except one of my Z-Wave dimmers occasionally flashes on and off when you use the manual switch vs OpenHab. Still looking into why that is…

how much has it all cost
I am frugal to a fault and only buy things when they are on sale… Like my $10 fire tablets lol so I only have about $300 in it.

What do you do
Electrical engineer

1. i have 15 sonoffs some for lights some for boiler ac and power measurements
    i have also one RM2 and allot of repters so i only use one
    no DIY of my own :frowning:
  2. somthing like two years not my main thing…
  3. not sure i am using node red so can’t tell
  4. turn off turn on when not home
  5. want to build DIY stuff
  6. yes my wifes loves our smart home
  7. not much lets say 20 sonoffs and one RM2 rest of the parts are from home PCs and stuff
    but ever since i have spent somthing like 500$ on ali to build myself a lab… and i dont have time to work in hhh

Finally updated it with a more user-friendly setup using Samsung TV binding instead of the exlink port

Hi again @luckymallari

I’m not quite ready too do this yet im just getting ready / thinking about adding a CCTV system too my home just created a post about it thanks for adding your tutorial i will give it a propper look over once got a few ideas for the cctv itself

I suggest you look into Blueiris which has MQTT support and is also able to make REST calls when triggered. I have 20+ cameras running through my blue Iris server. Once you get the blue Iris license, let me know so I can assist you.

If you look enough, you’ll find that many “branded” ones are just rebranded cameras. But more than half of my cameras are DIY. There are plenty of camera modules all over. You just have to solder stuff yourself. Avoid generic ones like foscam, etc.

For my camera system, I do stuff when they are triggered. Some examples:

1. I have a designated spot for my packages. Once camera is triggered, if TV is on, it shows the camera through the pip technique I mentioned above. I also get a “package has arrived” broadcasted to all of the Google home speakers we have (every room in house has one).
  2. The front door camera as shown in the tutorial above.
  3. I have rules based on my alarm system. If alarm is armed, i set blue Iris to a profile with more sensitive motion detection. Once I disarm the alarm, profile goes to my “normal” profile.
  4. Blu Iris profile gets set to “away”, “at home” profiles depending on other rules: every one is sleeping, someone has been walking in the house, only pets present, etc.

I’m playing a little with license plate recognition in my driveway camera to automatically open the garage door when I arrive. See thing can be done to open doors.

If you just want to play with Blueiris, get the trial version and use a webcam

@luckymallari

Blueiris looks good I have been having a look at some videos

What specs are your server? And what camera makes can you recommend too look at what cameras are you using that you haven’t built

I have a Ryzen 1600 system running 24/7 it runs hyperv and provides a few network services that’s where I would like too install blueiris do you think it would handle the task

BlueIris works best with an Intel process that can support QuickSync. The HW Acceleration, together with direct-to-disk is awesome in Blue Iris. My server hovers around ~20% CPU, and that’s with zone crossing, and 1 client connected 24/7 (my wall-mounted HabPanel displays my feed).

My setup is (recently upgraded) i7-7700K, SSD on primary (hosts BlueIris temp folder, alerts, and New) you’ll know what these mean once you start playing with them

The alerts, temp, and new folders are synced to my Google Photos “home” account. FREE UNLIMITED STORAGE :slight_smile:

The “storage” folder (archive) are stored on a 8TB WD HDD. I set my Blue Iris to maintain it at 7.5TB. When it reaches that, it deletes the oldest files.

ipcamtalk has a lot of good info re Blue Iris. I wish they were there at the beginning. I had Blue Iris since version 2 :slight_smile:

Just keep in mind when setting up your Blue Iris… Don’t be greedy. 30fps does not make any sense on home security system. Most of mine are on 10/15 fps.

ipcamtalk has a good, detailed wiki but most I said above are from my own experience. hikvision, Dahua are nice but these are on the $400+ range. What’s your budget

I have read this and also been told this in my other post I think I will have too setup with the system running the ryzen cpu as I can’t relay add another dedicated computer too my network im trying too virtualize most of it atm due to expensive power here in the UK

Agreed we arnt making movies :wink:

Is say this is out of my price range prob talking £400 - £500 total 4 cameras

I can’t justify spending much more you can pick up alot of cctv systems that would do the job just fine at this price point

Not saying I wouldn’t upgrade / add different cameras in the future

im going too install and play with a webcam like you recomended

Before sharing my setup I would first like to express my gratitude to the OpenHAB user community, especially Kai Kreuzer for founding OpenHab and Rikoshak for the deep insight and support he provides to the community. Without their help and insights provided throughout these forums, I would not have made the progress that I have.

This is a bit of long a post so my apologies in advance. I have been working with and using OpenHAB for about 5 months now. I am a chemist by education, an engineer by practice, and Manager/Director by profession at a Fortune 500 Company. Eighteen months ago I decided to retire after nearly 40 years in R&D, so I have some time to play now… Being an avid AV and Home Theater hobbyist, I am somewhat familiar with developing home control systems having built and used them for my AV setup. Also I have had the opportunity to use a Crestron installation in our executive conference room when I was working, and at several vacation rentals over the years. However having a ‘frugal engineer menatlity’ I could never justify the cost for my personal use at home. In March of 2019, having just returned home from an extended winter holiday wherein our rental condo had a Crestron system installed I decided to again take a deeper look at Home Automation Control, believing I could do at least as well, if not better than what I just left. At this point I looked at both commercial systems and Open Source solutions. I decided on OpenHAB because of it is hosted locally (no cloud),and its longevity, stability, extensibility, hardware support and active user community. Security and stability were and still are a top priority for me. My design approach is one of redundancy so that the system can be fully operated in a manual mode(wall switches and physical buttons) or an automated mode.

In parallel with my OpenHAB adventure, I also moved my whole house AV and dedicated Home Theater from iRule to DemoPAD control since iRule sold their control software to Kramer Corp, and iRule was no longer going to be supported. This was a lot to tackle and I had many long days and nights over a 3 month period learning (both had steep learning curves initially) and working both systems to achieve an integrated solution for both Control and Automation. Between both, I probably have invested more than 500 man-hours and while both systems are fully functional, there are always some tweaks and bugs to squash but the heavy lifting is done. Being able to focus like this during the early spring months was a benefit of being retired.

I am running OpenHAB in a Docker on a dual parity 30TB UnRAID Linux server that hosts all of my AV files (Movies,Music,Photos, HomeVideos, etc.). The UnRAID Sever also uses a BTRFS cache pool to increase the perceived write speeds to the server. OpenHAB resides on the SSD cache pool, and is backed-up to the UnRAID HDD weekly using automated scripts.

I have approx.
40 Insteon Switches, Dimmers, and Outlets
2 Insteon Garage Door Relays with Contact Sensors
2 Insteon Leak Detectors
Insteon/Venstar Thermostat
ISY994i Hub with PLM Insteon Interface which is my Bridge to OpenHAB
GlobalCache WiFitoIR for the few AV/HomeTheater devices that IR only

I use 3 preowned (eBay) iPad4’s in wall mount Kiosks to support OpenHAB HabPanel access in Kiosk mode. I use the iCab app for this.

I have 3 table top iPad Mini 4’s running DemoPAD for home Theater/AV control, and they are also selectively linked to HabPanel Dashboards rendered through DemoPAD WebPage Frames (ie HomeSecurity)

I have a 30 Yr old 3500+ sq ft Home that I designed and had custom built, and it was prewired for whole house AV, a dedicated theater, and home security. As part of my move into Home Automation I upgraded the Home Security using Konnected Alarm Panel INTERFACE and added a few additional relays. This allowed me to keep my wiring and panel box intact, but I am able to Arm/Disarm and Monitor status remotely as well as automate via OpenHAB rules to send notifications in case of an alarm. So while the Alarm System has 40+ sensors and switches, smoke and fire detectors, I have a single device interface to OpenHAB through the Konnected Binding.

I have about 375 lines of code in my rules files, with extensive use of Groups and Design Patterns (Thanks Rikoshak)

Approx 70 Things
Approx 300 Items

This includes some select items from the AV/Theater Systems such as Kodi, Denon/Marantz Amps/PrePro, but not all features nor the full system. That level of granularity and control i don’t believe is well suited for nor needed in an automation system. It is better reserved for a dedicated control system such as I have implemented through DemoPAD.

It’s likely that over the next winter I will take a crack at refactoring some of the code/items/groups to optimize and improve efficiency further.

I think the coolest feature I have implemented is Presence awareness. Using my Home Network Ping, iCloud and OwnTracks GPS taken together for redundancy, our iPhones have become Presence beacons. I have established GeoFences that trigger rules when we cross them, such as arming/disarming the security system and turning on/off house and perimeter lights depending on time of day, whose arriving/departing, etc so that we don’t enter a dark house or forget to turn off lights when we leave.

Not including the UnRaid Server and the AV/Theater Hardware which goes into the 10’s of thousands I have only invested about $1500 US tops for my OpenHAB Automation System. That’s a far cry from the $35,000 to $50,000 US for a full blown Crestron implementation, which while excellent isn’t functionally any better than what I have with my OpenHAB implementation.

As for next steps, I’m really not sure as I currently believe I am reaching a point of diminishing returns. I’m not a big fan of voice control or video feeds inside the home. I’m not likely to implement such in the near term. Perhaps a door lock or 2, motorized roller shades and more Insteon devices. Perhaps some AV upgrades with an Automation focus. I’m sure something will come along and grab my attention.

Bottom-line for me, OpenHAB is a GREAT Home Automation Platform to build from and I look forward to more great things in the future as the community continues to grow and OpenHAB gains additional capabilities and robustness.

10 Likes

How big is your system (Sensors,Switches ect) 4 Power sockets controlled via wifi 20 window/door contacts, 1 amazon echo’s, IR control with the Logitech Harmony hub to control Samsung TV, Home cinema and a LED strip, an iPad in the wall by the front door, 16 X Sonos speakers ,8 x 4k IP camera , Z-Wave Power monitor x 15 , Phillips Hue strips (2) and light bulbs (16) , mi-light bulbs and controllers, google home`s x 8 , Ring doorbell pro , I7 2.8 mhz. computer , 3 x Electric door locks diy. to sonoff sv. Garage Door sensor, Dimmers, smoke detectors, Z-Wave motion, 4 x Unifi WiFi access points, 1 x Squeezebox player, 4 x Blinds control, Ihc/Elko system.

How long have you been working on your setup 4 years approx.

How many lines of code run your rules (Total Lines of all files) about 800 lines in whole, including empty lines between rules etc.

What’s the best feature your system has . mail box alarm via openhab notification to all phones in household,I don`t know all off it is preaty smart .

what are you adding or doing next I bought a lot of ESP8266 to diy. Power monitor some things and more strip controllers, Robomow lawn mower garage control roof, lights and door, Wired DSC security system with ElvisLink interface, modbus control/monitor air system Nilan home300, some more Ihc/Elko integration, Presence awareness

Does everyone in your house like your system yes and no, kids love it, wife not so much (I guess because of the time consumption. I like it!

How much has it all cost Amazon echo: 50 Euro, power sockets: 70 Euro , I7 2.8 mhz. computer 100 Euro(preowned), Ring doorbell pro 250 Euro, google home`s x 8 600 Euro, Logitech Harmony hub remote control 200 Euro, Sonos play 1,3,5 1500 Euro ,8 x 4k IP camera 600 Euro, Z-Wave 300 Euro, Phillips Hue 380 Euro , mi-light bulbs 520 Euro, lots of led strips and controllers 620 Euro, 3 x Electric door locks 1000 Euro, Blinds motors 180 Euro, Ihc/Elko system 25000 Euro.

Don`t tell me how much i don’t want to know.

What do you do

Skilled electrician.

I was wondering is there somewhere I can see links to all of them who has uploaded there openhab setup/lines or should there not be such a place? I wood love to see and get ideas from other setups.

There is no place that I know of. Often a person’s OH config contains sensitive information like location, IP addresses, usernames and passwords, etc. So most users would not publicly post their OH configs.

@Simon_Thorsted here is the closest I know of.

1 Like

Sounds super nice. I’m really interested in 4 (When I get to the corner of my street). Did you already post somewhere how you realized this? I tried to do the same thing with 2 waypoints which I have to pass, one after the other. I tried it with ifttt geofencing and owntracks. The implementation itself was no problem, but both just were not reliable at all. I tried to play with the update interval of owntracks but all it did was drain my mobiles battery faster.

I don’t use OwnTracks. I use Tasker with the AutoLocation plug-in. I set up a geofence in AutoLocation that is large enough to pop up the dialog to open the garage before I get to the garage. Sometimes it’s way before I get home, sometimes it’s not until I pull into the drive way.

When I enter the geofence a Tasker task runs to sendCommand to an Item using OH’s REST API. I have a VPN set up so I just use my machine’s name but you can use myopenhab.org. And fairly recently the Android app received Tasker integration that lets you send commands to Items through that instead of needing to craft the HTTP request yourself.

Is that the beta version?