How long does it take for bugfixes to get into the stable branch?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1240L v3 @ 2.00GHz / 16GB / Lots of storage
    • Java Runtime Environment: zulu-8
    • openHAB version: 2.1.0-1

I’m using openhab stable from the PPA as per the instructions from the website. A while ago, I reported a rather critical bug (https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/4376) with the handling of missing fields in JSONPATH and just hours later the bug was fixed and a change committed by @Kai . However, I have not seen any update in the stable branch yet. How long does it usually take for bugfixes to arrive in the stable branch of the PPA?

To have them available - almost - immediately, you need to change to the snapshot runtime.

From my experience the stable is updated every couple of month …

Hmhm, according to the website, the snapshot is only suitable for test and development and I’m actually running my instance of Openhab productive and I’m in the process of integrating fairly critical systems, like smoke detectors and such…

Unfortunately that does not change things … :grinning:

I’m using openHAB since 3 years now and did never use a stable version, always the snapshots. Development is extremely fast and that is the only way to keep up with the changes.

But because 2.1 stable has been there a while now I guess 2.2 stable is only a couple of weeks away. :rofl:

1 Like

Just to reiterate what sihui is stating. The Stable release is fixed. A Stable release never receives any updates or bug fixes. Any bug fixes or additional features added to the core after a stable release will only be available in the SNAPSHOT.

You have a little bit of flexibility with the add-ons as with a little bit of work you can install a snapshot version of an addon on a stable, though the usual approach is to upgrade the whole system to a snapshot.

Well, that’s unusual. Pretty much all software gets updates and bugfixes to the stable branch… Maybe in certain intervals, i.e. release cycles (which was basically what I was aiming at) but for critical fixes usually also in between.

The current release cycle process is a long one, and currently is kick-started and then followed through manually by @Kai

The good news however is that there is a lot of work being done to automate the process. When the testing of this automated process is complete, I would expect to see more frequent release cycles.

Whether it is unusual or not, that is how OH and ESH are developed. There is one main branch and the stable releases are snapshots in time.

And in my experience, this approach is not that unusual among opensource projects.

1 Like

@rlkoshak I think we are having some kind of misunderstanding here :). You are talking about releases, I’m talking about the branch :).

Anyways, so I changed the PPA to the unstable one and run apt-get update and upgrade. Now openhab.log is full of this:

2017-11-13 20:01:40.375 [WARN ] [org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser ] - Illegal character 0x7F in state=HEADER_IN_VALUE for buffer DirectByteBuffer@15b7e4b7[p=188,l=2414,c=16384,r=2226]={HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n…017 18:01:40 G<<<\r\nEXT:\r\n\r\n<?xml v…/device>>>>\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00…\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00}
2017-11-13 20:01:40.377 [WARN ] [org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser ] - bad HTTP parsed: 400 Illegal character 0x7F for HttpReceiverOverHTTP@ff5b4ae(rsp=HEADER,failure=null)[HttpParser{s=HEADER_IN_VALUE,0 of 2216}]
2017-11-13 20:05:00.003 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.ExecuteRuleJob] - Error during the execution of rule ‘Every 5 minutes’: Could not cast NULL to org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library.types.DateTimeType; line 5, column 38, length 36

And the GUI says "Please stand by while UIs are being installed. This can take several minutes. ".
Is the upgrade going through or is something broken now?

I think you’re the unfortunate finder of a regression from the most recent change: Updated ESH bundles in 2.2.0-SNAPSHOT - Important for TRADFRI users

The character it’s complaining about is a Delete char. Which is unusual, are you doing anything with HTTP in the Every 5 minutes rule?

Try clearing out the contents of /var/lib/openhab2/cache and /var/lib/openhab2/tmp

No misunderstanding. The Stable Release simply isn’t a branch, or at least it isn’t treated as one. Once OH is released as a new Stable version and all new development goes to the Snapshot. Bug fixes do not get migrated to a Release branch.

Perhaps someday when the release process becomes more automated the developers will consider maintaining the Release as a separate branch for a while and port bug fixes to it. But for now, the Release isn’t a separate branch that gets changed. Once released it remains unchanged until the next stable release.

1 Like

@rlkoshak I see. Interesting.

@Benjy Nope…

rule "Every 5 minutes"
when
    Time cron "0 0/5 * * * ?"
then
    if (now.minusMinutes(5).isAfter((weatherUpdated.state as DateTimeType).calendar.timeInMillis)) {
        MasterCaution.sendCommand(ON)
        weatherRes.sendCommand("NOSIG")
    } else if (weatherRes.state == "ERR") {
    } else if (SB1Bedroom_Online.state == OFF) {
    } else if (SB0LivingRoom_Online.state == OFF) {
    } else MasterCaution.sendCommand(OFF)
end

I went back to stable for the moment until I have more time to dive deeper into the snapshot.