[SOLVED] How to add veralite in openHAB

So after the svn checkout I copied the files that were downloaded to /etc/openhab2/transform . After that I moved the .items file that was created to /etc/openhab2/items and restarted OH2. From there via the PaperUI I can see the items (but they are individual fields not actual “things”). This is where Im stuck.

I was not using paperUI I am using HABmin, none the less I went in to paperUI, but I dont see anything?, where exactly are you seeing the items?

Even I have copied items file that was created to /etc/openhab2/items. The name of the item file is house,item

I see it under Configuration | Items (if Items isn’t an option go into Configuration | System and turn off simple linking).

1 Like

To download the scripts:

1. Navigate to github
  2. Click the RAW button in the upper right corner.
  3. Copy URL text from the navigation bar of your browser.
  4. Run following command in Ubuntu/Raspbian/Whatever: wget “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openhab/openhab1-addons/master/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.mios/examples/scripts/miosTransform.sh
  5. Please replace the url with the one you copied.

Transformation:
You do only have to create the files in the directory transform of your openhab installation. They came there when I installed MiOS from the paperUI. Please make sure, that you did the same. Otherwise you can get my files from here:
https://www.file-upload.net/download-12447316/transform.zip.html
Please use the correct download button, as there are many ads. Sorry for that.
Unzip the archive into your transform directory and restart openhab.

Item generation:
First run ./miosLoad.sh 192.168.100.99
Second run ./miosTransform.sh house

You will get a file called “house.items”. Place this in your items directory of your openhab installation

Hi DayDay1,

all that is done I have a file called house.items under my items directory. What next, whats the next step?

Ok Frank yes now I see items listed, and interesting thing is, if I scroll down, I can see one of my z-wave plug F-101 also listed there, even though I am not sure what am I suppose to do with it there!!

You can handle Items a lot easier than things in my opinion. For example, install habpanel, add a dashboard, add a switch. Then edit the switch and select your switch item which handles your Z-Wave switch on your Vera controller.
I did not figure out how to place items inside the paper.

You could use the basic UI as well. Works great. Create a sitemap file called “house.sitemap” inside your sitemaps directory. Put the following contents in it:

sitemap house label="Main Menu" {
    Frame label="This is a test" {
        Default item=youritemhere
    }

Replace “youritemhere” with your item from your house.items file. For example if you do have a motion sensor, it could be JoernBewegungTripped from my house.items file:

Contact  JoernBewegungTripped "Joern Bewegung Tripped [MAP(en.map):%s]" <contact> (GDevices) {mios="unit:house,device:7/service/SecuritySensor1/Tripped"}

For debugging you can use the events file from openhab. If you installed openhab2 from the reposity you can use the following command:

tail -f /var/log/openhab2/events.log

This will give you a live feed of all items.

Yea, that’s where I’m pretty much stuck, I have a ton of items but how to turn that into usable “things” I’m not so sure about.

You don’t need things. Items are just fine. Please check out this page it explains how you can use the basic UI with items.

Forgot to mention: If you really want to use basic UI, you have to set the default sitemap file. Navigate to paper ui, select services on the left side and click on configure button on the “Basic UI” Card. On the right bottom you’ll find a field called “Default Sitemap”. Just enter the Value from your sitemap file. For example:

sitemap testing label="Main Menu" {

It would be “testing” without the quotes.

EDIT: For habpanel, check out this page. It looks awesome and feels so great. Even if it takes some time.

Yepppieeee!!..THAT is exactly the steps I needed, was able to switch on and off my LED (TEST) lamp that was on z-wave f-101 module.

Now will dig more into this and see where it takes me … Thanks for all the help … DayDay1… You are the one!! …:slight_smile: … Please do keep a check on this thread, as I am sure as I dig into more into this I will require some assistance for the same, once again really really thankful to you for the time and assistance.

Just one quick question, as and when I add more “items” devices, what all steps I have to re do in order to have them show in the “items” in habpanel ???

No problem sammy, that’s what the community forum is for.
To answer your question: You just need to recreate the house.items file:
First, add you Z-Wave device to vera. After that you have to recreate the items file:

./miosLoad.sh 192.168.100.99
./miosTransform.sh house

Copy house.items to your items directory and there you go.

1 Like

@dayday1 So if I understand correctly. Things are used by the Paper UI, sitemaps are needed for the basic UI but just the items for the HABPanel?

My two goals are to create a consolidated dashboard of both my zwave devices and some handmade “iot” devices (Raspberry Pis, ESP8266, etc) and do some automation? Given that should I just focus on items and not things?

One last question - one of my items from the zwave controller is a motion detector, how in the HABPanel can I show a visual indicator if the motion detector is open or closed and show the last time it was tripped?

@Frank_Apap, things are a new thing in Openhab 2. Before Openhab 2 there were only items. I recommend to use items whereever it is possible. If you add a philips HUE or a homematic gateway, you are forced to create things. However, you can link those things to items. I just wanted to let you know this.

For me it is easier to handle items in .items files. If possible, just use items. For example, with the HTTP binding. It could be, that you want to use a binding, which needs things. But like I said, you can(and should!) link those to items.
I also recommend to create those items in a .items file and not from the paper UI.

I will answer your question regarding the visual indicator for motion detectors, but please create a new topic in the right category, so if someone is searching for that problem as well, he knows where he could find it. The right place would be
https://community.openhab.org/c/apps-services/habpanel

Thanks a bunch! I think I’ll focus on items for now and see if that makes things a little simpler. I created the new topic for the motion sensor, Representing a motion detector in HABPanel

And since you’ve been a big help, I also have one other topic outstanding regarding integrating my other (non-zwave) devices, if/when you have time would love your thoughts:

THanks again!

Hi People!

I just started on OpenHAB and I am trying to add my veralite to it.
I am following the thread but the link to download the transformation that dayday1 shared with the group is no longer valid (https://www.file-upload.net/download-12447316/transform.zip.html).
Can somebody, please, share the file again?

Best regards!

Hey there,

I’m really sorry that all my downloadlinks are going down. Here is another one: https://www.file-upload.net/download-12863424/transform.zip.html

Hi there!

*** WATCH OUT *** the download link for the transformation.zip file contains virus!
It downloads a transformationzip.iso file, which contains a transformationzip.exe file, that contains a trojan virus inside.
*** DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR CLICK ON THE .EXE FILE!!! ***

If somebody can send me a clean transformation.zip file, I’ll be very thankfull.

BR!

Please make sure you click the right download button. I mentioned this in my previous posts. The downloadsite is full of ads. I know that this is really bad, but I don’t know any other free hosters.

Sounds like you are yelling at me for spreading viruses. Please notice, that this is not the case. I simply uploaded a zip file there. Give me any other possibility to share a file and I will do my best to upload it there.

Hi dayday1! I’m not yelling at you, just warning other people to be really careful.
I use Hightail to send large file. As far as I know, there is a free account option.
BR!