How to ask a good question / Help Us Help You

And how to link to that so that only that info is shown?
I only found an About me entry in my profile preferences.
Is that accessible to others? TestMe

1 Like

If you click the persons picture once, then click on the picture again it will show what the user has entered in their “About me” profile. Try it out, click my image then click on it again and you should see my profile.

EDIT: I just click my own picture once and was able to see the “About me” profile.:laughing:

1 Like

Nice.
Now I need to figure out what to write there :open_mouth:

@H102 nice reading stats!

1 Like

IMHO, that’s a great place to enter your platform, OH version, etc… If everyone did something similar that could be a good way to prevent asking each person the same (some of the same) basic questions.:wink:

1 Like

My point exactly! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, my eye’s bleed sometimes.:rofl:

All we can do is try, and maybe start a trend that benefits everyone.:sunglasses:

EDIT: Just edited my profile to highlight my OH setup and some devices used. I thought about adding all binding used but not sure if that’s needed, I’ll think on that some more.:thinking: Perhaps @vzorglub has some input, or a good template, to keep it standard across the board?

1 Like

Look at mine. Not much. Just the essential.
This is not really practical for helping users, especially new users. As a helper, I don’t want to click to another page to find out the background.
I want to see the person needing help making an effort and not expecting to be spoon fed everything

2 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of using this as a way to help the helper. For someone who types slow, like myself,:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it’s easier/faster to make a few clicks.
This could also reduce the amount of typing for the user asking the question, assuming there will be more than a single question, especially the slow fingered users (like me again,:smile:).

I agree 100% I’m just trying to view it from both sides, hoping to find a happy medium.

Thanks

1 Like

Could you please add a screenshot of this?

1 Like

Done

2 Likes

I’ve added no. 4 and 11

1 Like

Community forum is NOT a helpdesk

every time I see this statement, I feel it’s wrong.

For me what you try to say is

Community forum is NOT a paid helpdesk.

That statement seems to fit more what you try to say

1 Like

But it is not a helpdesk. It’s a community forum where users try to help other users.
I’d happily take a fee for in depth support but my knowledge of openHAB in not infinite.
I know nothing of KNX or ZWAVE for example. This where the community aspect comes in.
Other users familiar with these technologies will try and help, on their own time, and on their own terms.
If the answer of the question is in the beginners tutorials of the first paragraph of the binding docs then, I understand the frustration.

3 Likes

But it is not a helpdesk. It’s a community forum where users try to help other users.

I was a helpdesk at my first job
I have done many community forums

Personally I don’t see a difference.

Also with a helpdesk, there is first line, second line and even then not everyone know everything. That’s ok. We don’t need a statement like “we are not a helpdesk” to cover for that.

Hell the openhab community forum is doing a lot better then a lot of commercial helpdesk.

and yes helpdesk personel get as frustrated as everyone here about the lack of respect.

3 Likes

I agree!

2 Likes

Exactly, this is not our job…

A helpdesk has opening and closing hours and people in place getting paid for it
You can expect things from a helpdesk that you can’t from the forum for that reason. Your either paying a subscription or have bought their product. Neither is true for openHAB.
That is the difference.

Think of it this way:
Community forum = Charity
Helpdesk = Multinational company

1 Like

No, it’s to the point.
A helpdesk is paid for, is with the same company that makes money from selling the software, has opening hours, Service Level Agreements and has dedicated personnel with access to all internal documentation and developers if needed.
None of this applies to this forum.
But people don’t know or don’t want to know. So please stop spreading that view of yours, it’s plain wrong and not helpful.

2 Likes

Exactly, this is not our job…

hence why I said

Helpdesk = Multinational company

no, there are heldesks also at 10 people companies
more over the best helpdesk are.

2 Likes

A helpdesk is paid for, is with the same company that makes money from selling the software,

hence why I said what you try to say is

1 Like

I said “think of it this way” it was not meant literally.
The Community forum is not a paid helpdesk. We are not paid. It’s not a helpdesk, it’s a community.

1 Like