How to (automatically?) update OpenHAB and binding versions?

Is there a way to run a bulk update of bindings? Or do I have to individually copy over the new .jar files to my addons folder, and remove the old ones?

I started setting up OpenHAB back on 1.6.2, but had to take a break from working on my installation for a while. I’ve just gotten back into it and I want to make sure I’m on the latest version of everything. I initially set up OpenHAB (on an RPi2) by following a tutorial that had me install it manually.

I set up the OpenHAB repo in my sources.list, and ran and update/upgrade, but I can’t find anywhere that confirms that it worked. It didn’t seem to update my bindings; they all still show 1.6.2 in their file names.

I tried searching for any info on updating bindings, but there doesn’t seem to be anything.

Hi Chad,

You will need to install each addon explicitly with Apt the first time - the reason being that apt doesn’t know anything about your manually installed jar files. Try running apt search openhab to get a list of the relevant packages and install the one that you need. I would suggest that you delete or move the existing jars from your addons folder before doing the install.

Installing the addons from Apt will most likely pull in the latest OpenHAB runtime - possibly to a different filesystem location, so you may end up with two versions of OpenHAB running. Most likely the best thing to do is to back up your configurations directory, remove the manually installed version of OpenHAB and install from apt. You would then drop your old configuration back into /etc/openhab/configurations.

Once you have everything installed through Apt, updates to both the runtime and addons will be handled via apt update/upgrade.

HTH.

Thanks. I suspected that reinstalling might be my best option, so it looks like that’s what I’m going to do. It’s frustrating that there are so many tutorials out there that still say to manually install OpenHAB!

1 Like

May be your using the old apt-repo url? We moved to bintray some time ago. The current repo “url” is “deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo stable main”. You will find the setup instructions here: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Linux---OS-X

Hi @robconnolly

As per your above instructions it will update runtime and bindings but does my configuration will loss and retained…?