How to create groups that can control multiple items

sorry for coming back to this again. as said, I wanted to start pull out my non-semantic stuff from the semantic modell. Question: I can do that either in the UI in the items section, or in a file in the items folder, right?

However, I then “found” the checkbox labelled “show non-semantic” in the semantic model view. Clicking it, I realized it adds the option “Add item”. So I played with that, and it turns out this does exactly what I tried befor - I can add another group and then add the point item I already have also to this group. And voila, the model view even shows this correctly.

Now I am obviously wondering why the UI seems to actively support this if this is not the correct approach?

Yes. And just to be clear, you remove something from the model by setting the semantic tags for that Item to “None”. Or you can just delete the Item if you don’t need it.

Once again, an Item can be a member of any number of Groups. The restriction is that only one of those Groups can have a semantic tag. If it’s a member of more than one semantically tagged Group, the UI is not going to render the hierarchy correctly (the Item will only appear under one of them). And it doesn’t make sense to the model either. A Point can’t physically be a part of more than one Equipment. A Point or Equipment can’t be in two Locations at the same time.

As for the UI, it’s a brand new UI. All of MainUI was written almost entirely by one person. It’s not exactly 100% mature in all places. If it bothers you you should file an issue.

But also understand, that “Add Item” and “Show non-semantic” checkbox is a way for you to see and manipulate the Items that are not a part of your model. It’s obviously going to have to let you do stuff to your Items that are outside of the model too (otherwise what’s the point?).

sorry I didn’t reply back for almost a month. It took me a while to change all my configuration - I have roughly 100 things currently, and had to change all my non-semantic groups, items etc. However, now I am done, and happy to report that all works nicely again. Again, thanks for helping me understand all this!

a comment on the UI: I really like the OH3 UX. Hearing it was all developed by just one person, I appreciate that even more.