How to create "remember your medicines" machine for elderly person

Although I like technology and gadgets also, keep in mind that, for such a situation, the more simple your solution is, the more reliable it will be. I’m a bit cringing at remote OpenHAB installations, Raspeberry, etc., just for this Looks like a terribly complicated solution for a fairly simple problem to solve.

On top of what Peter_Aschinger sugested above, there are pill reminder solutions based on movement detection: if your father doesn’t move the pill box, a text message or something similar is sent. Look for medication reminders, medication smart sensors etc.

I my experience with my late father was the simpler the solution, the lesser intervention for me. Means also you won’t get false positives, and have to go there to fix whatever…
Your choice, of course.

2 Likes

I have quite a similar need for my mother in law. So we ordered some of these and I can tell you they are a good idea but done extremely bad. The timers on these things are so ridiculously to program and still cannot be saved correctly in many cases.
So if anyone has the same need, don’t buy these dispensers, unfortunately they are all bs.

I feel your pain.

How about a simple shelly 2.5, install it in a case, add a momentary switch and a lamp to it and install all on the wall. Then create a timer on OH that switches on the lamp when time is due. Dad has to click the momentary switch when he has taken the meds which would switch off the lamp as well as generate a telegram message to your phone that all is good. If time is due and he hasn’t taken the medication within 30 min or so, send a telegram to call dad. (I would use NodeRed as there are some very good stoptimer-nodes available).

If you can enable a VPN between the households, the shelly can be controlled by your local OH instance.

Benefit would be that you can use any standard installation switch (Jung, Gira, Knopp, etc), so it is easy to press and looks familiar to dad. Sames goes for a lamp. Maybe you want to put some transparent plastics in front of the lamp with a writing “Take medication please”.

Finally you could to install all that stuff in a wooden box that can be hung on the wall and just needs a 230v socket nearby.

Hope this description made sense to you…