How to get a Nest Cam Video Feed on your Sitemap

I’m home sick today so thought I’d do a little tinkering, as much as my fever would allow anyway. I remember stumbling across a video awhile back showing a way to get a Nest Cam feed into Blue Iris. The video(s) do not really matter any more as Nest has eliminated all the ways illustrated there thus far to allow you to make it work. So getting it integrated with the IPCamera binding or Shinobi or Zoneminder or the like isn’t going to work any more. :frowning:

But I did discover that there is an embedded link that does still work which you can put on your sitemap in a Webview.

NOTE: this does require you to expose the URL to the public meaning anyone who discovers the URL for your camera can pull up the camera feed. I probably will not continue to use this on my sitemap for that reason as having the camera feed is no more convenient than using the Nest App, plus I can talk to the people at the door through the app an not through the sitemap. But you may be OK with this so I’m posting this tutorial.

1. Log into your Nest account and click on the camera you want to share. Click on the cog icon in the upper right.

1. Scroll down to Sharing and turn on Camera Sharing without a password. Look at the HTML EMBED Code section. There will be a src="//video.nest.com/embedded/live/<some random string>. Copy everything between the = and the ?.

2. Add a Webview element to your sitemap and use https:// and paste in the rest of the URL you copied from step 2. Set a height of 22.

That’s all there is to it. If I have time I’ll come back and add more screenshots ans such, but I don’t want to give out my URL so it will take some editing.

Hope someone finds this useful.

1 Like