How to get Harmony Hub binding working with 2.4

There is a problem that late last year Logitech closed off the API that the Harmony Hub binding uses. That problem was reported here:

If you have this problem, your openHab system will discover the Harmony Hub, but the “things” list will display:

OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR Could not connect: Failed communicating with Harmony Hub

The 2.5 version of the binding works around the problem by switching from HTTP to Websockets. This version seems to work on my 2.4 system – if you install it manually.

I haven’t seen the procedure posted anywhere, so I thought I would. Here is what I did to get the Harmony Hub binding working on my 2.4 system:

1. In PaperUI, go to Add-Ons → Bindings and uninstall Harmony Hub Binding
  2. Go to the jfrog repo and download the latest version of org.openhab.binding.harmonyhub-2.5.0-*.jar
  3. Copy that into your add-ons directory. In my openHABian system it’s /usr/share/openhab2/addons/.
  4. You should now be able to discover your hub and its devices.

If you want to check the version of your Harmony Hub binding, do:

$ openhab-cli console
openhab> bundle:list |Grep Harmony                                                                                       
216 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.5.0.201903220233     │ HarmonyHub Binding
7 Likes

@chipr

Thanks for posting it. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s also explained partially here.

Harmony Hub with firmware 4.15.206 (or 4.15.250) is running only with OH 2.5.0-Snapshot after 24th February 2019, or with the latest JAR-file (putting in addons folder).

1 Like