How to: Install and setup Jython with the official openHAB Debian Docker container on Ubuntu

The problem is, everybody seems to be using different paths in EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS.

When I was trying to figure out all this stuff it was driving me nuts. Some people even install the jython.jar in the linux /etc directory (/etc is for config files, not libraries) :wink:

At a certain moment I used /openhab/lib/jsr223/python which I think is the cleanest. Not sure why I changed that, but possibly because you use /opt/openhab2/conf/automation/lib/python. I guess I then just modified the openhab2 to openhab to stay inline with the openhab docs.

I need to test to see if there was a technical reason not to use /openhab/lib/jsr223/python, if not, then I will probably go back to that path because libraries don’t belong in the /openhab/conf path in my opinion.

Anyway, very nice to be able to finally put the DSL aside and write rules in a real programming language. It has given me back my joy for home automation and writing rules (my production system is still a Frankenstein build of an 1.8 snapshot release with 1.9 bindings…).