How to Setup Jython

The next release provides a clearer log entry when the configuration.py is missing and allows things to still work without it. This works better for people using the add-on. Eventually, the configuration.py will be settings inside the add-on.

3 Likes

I have just installed OH3 and would like to use Jython scripts to solve my rules in the future. But now i read that it may be that the future of Jython (in OH) is uncertain. Please correct me if this is a misinterpretation.

For me as a newcomer, it is difficult to understand which way or rather which script language is the best for the new rule engine. In the long term, i want to avoid having to rewrite all the rules with a new script language.

As i have also noticed, there are slight tensions (in this thread), i donā€™t know the background, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who put their time into the development and help and hope that OH continues to be an exciting community project ! Thanks a lot for this!

2 Likes

A far as i know @5iver is working on a version for OH3, but he has a real life ans some other projekct to. So we have to be patient with this.

The decsion which script language to use is not an easy one. For now OH3 offer:

• Native OH3 DSL
  • Javascript
  • Goovy
  • Blockly as a visual interface to code Javascript
  • Node Red (not included in OH3 but as part of openhabian)
  • Jython (@5iver we count on you)

I OH3 moves some day to GraalVM some more will be seen.

You should question yourself wich of the Languages fits best for you. A Strat with DSL is onot a wrong one because your are very close to the oh3 concepts

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. What iā€™ve read, GraalVM also supports Python, among other things. Then I will continue to deal with Python and would be very happy if there is a binding for Jython in the near futureā€¦ thanks @5iver for your commitment!

2 Likes

I have been using Graal (for modern JS) in Openhab for about a year now, I am working on PRs to get it into OH so that everyone can use it :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

@Dibbler42:
HABApp already supports OH3 and allows you to create rules in python (3) .

2 Likes

@Spaceman_Spiff Looks impressive. I will try to dive into it.

2 Likes