How to test an an unknown ZWave device

I am an OpenHAB newbie, and immediately stumbled into a little challenge I could not find a satisfactory answer for. The thing is that I have several Zwave thermostats that are not yet in the database. I have created an entry for them to the best of my ability in the database here: OpenSmartHouse Z-Wave Device Database I understand that this will appear automatically in new releases in a few weeks time (?).

However, it would have been extremely nice if I could test this myself first - for my curiosity, to get the system working now, but also as a quality assurance for my submission. I have extracted the XML from the database, and I have been able to add the XML file appropriately to the org.openhab.binding.zwave-3.4.0.jar as OH-INF/thing/namron/4512757_0_0.xml

As the simpleton I am I tried replacing the existing jar file (/var/lib/openhab/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/3.4.0/org.openhab.binding.zwave-3.4.0.jar) and restarting the OpenHAB daemon (on Linux), but alas, my device is still not recognized. I have a suspicion it is not as easy as this, so any pointers to whether there is some way of doing this would be highly appreciated. And sorry if this is already described in the documentation; I could not find it.

You have already done the hard part. Take a look at this thread for your options https://community.openhab.org/t/correct-approach-of-installing-an-addon-jar-over-an-installed-one-in-the-addon-folder/142097

I even had the time to finally add the outcome of the thread to the official documentation. Have a look here: Bundle Management | openHAB

Thanks a million, that worked perfectly! In the OpenHAB console I simply did:

bundle:list | grep ZWave
bundle:update 241 file:///home/egil/org.openhab.binding.zwave-3.4.0.jar

Where 241 was the number listed on the line before it. Of course, I also discovered another issue: My copy/paste of the XML had somehow generated funny unicode blanks instead of regular blanks, so I had to remedy that too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.