How to: The method I use to backup my PI and C2 based Openhab

Thx for sharing!

I tried the Paragon software and liked it.
But it says at the end of the recovery process:
“If you have Linux installed reinit its bootloader”

I don’t know how I can do that. Can somebody help me?

Just ignore it works fine.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t ;-(
System starts to boot but stops at some point.

Did you image the DISK or did you image the PARTITION? Make sure you image and restore the whole disk. Can you ssh in and look at the linux system log file to see where it fails?

GRUB Reinit: Repair or Replace GRUB in One Easy Step | Scottie’s Tech.Info (scottiestech.info)

I imaged and backuped the whole disk (sdcard)
I also tried different sd cards. Always the same result.

I can’t ssh in. The boot process stops:

I tried boot-repair via Ubuntu bootable stick, but after the “Recommended repairs” there are also problems:

I think my skills are not tight enough ;-((

I solved the problem now.

I use dd or Win32DiskImager in combination with pishrink script.
Works like a charm. And with the dd variant I can even do the backup without downtime of the system.

Thx anyway ;-))

Great news, any details or a link to how to use pishrink that you found useful? Would like to check it out.
I used dd a long time ago and it is great however you need to partition the master card to a smaller size to ensure it is smaller than any target drives you wish to copy to. Perhaps things have changed over the past 20 years :slight_smile:

I used the following link to get startet with pishrink:
https://hoerli.net/raspberry-pi-backups-verkleinern/

It’s in german but the commands are pretty simple :wink:

2 Likes

One little edit:

Using dd with a running system is not advisable!!
After checking the openhab logs with a system started with a backup card created this way, i had issues with a corrupted persistence db and some other problems.

So, I will use Win32Imager or dd on a second Linux system.

Did any one succedd with Paragon?

Hi Guys

I use rpi-clone to create online backup. No need take down sd card or usb drive . It allso cones with resize capability.
My setup : 240 GB SSD back up on 64 gb sd @ pi4
64 gb sd backup on 16 gb usb drive

I use BorgBackup for making backups of the whole pi. It is de-duplicated, works at runtime and supports encryption.

So I can go back to any point in time or grab that file I changed a few weeks ago (although there is git for this use case, but it is not always practicable like for databases)