How to update the Openhab IDE?

It is a bit unclear to me how to ensure my openhab IDE is updated to be building against the latest released version of Openhab.

I have gone into the openhab-distro repo and done a git pull. However, when I look at the openhab.target content I see the following:

which leads me to believe that is not updated because it is dated from September.

I couldn’t find any topics on upgraded the dev environment on searching. Anyone know the correct way to upgrade the IDE?

Hi,
I have the very same questions.
Don’t know if this can be to any help for you, but Please see link: https://www.openhab.org/docs/developer/prerequisites/targetplatform.html
I have the sequnceNumber as: sequenceNumber=“189” im mine IDE so maybe I have to update aswell.
So, as you say “Anyone…”
BR Basse

The short answer is. You need to update all your repositories in the git folder to the latest snapshot code of the official repository. The long answer would a little depends on what you have in your git folder and how you’ve used git and what version of the eclipse ide you have. Because updating the eclipse ide itself is a different story, but that is unrelated to the openHAB version (to a certain extent). If this didn’t completely makes sense, please provide some context on ide version, git projects you have and how you have used git, like with remote and origin branches.

Here’s what I do to update all the repos (except for openhab1 addons) with the latest. Not sure if there is a better way. YMMV

In ./openhab2-addons

// If I'm working on something in a local dev branch, 
// first I commit or stash what I'm working on
checkout master
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/master
git push origin master

In ./openhab2-master/git/openhab-core

git fetch upstream

In ./openhab2-master/git/openhab-distro

git fetch upstream

In ./openhab2-master/git/smarthome directory

git fetch upstream

And then in any of my openhab2-addons dev branches that I want to update. Again, YMMV.

git checkout <name-of-branch>
git fetch origin
git rebase origin/master
git push origin <name-of-branch> --force
2 Likes

Thanks for the info @mhilbush

I have been developing only with openhab-distro and openhab2-addons, I had updated in the manner you indicated…

Where I am concerned, and maybe I shouldn’t be, is if you look at the picture I pasted in the first post my openhab.target for org.openhab.core is is dated in September. Is that the most recent version or do I not need to worry about the version of that content?

Thanks @hilbrand - not upgrading the IDE, just trying to make sure I am running against the latest version of openhab. I updated the repos and they are updated (binding are building as 2.5.0-snapshot), but I don’t know how to tell for sure what version of openhab I am running against within the IDE.

Is it all based on the sequence number as @Basse_03 pointed out above?

So is mine, but I haven’t noticed any ill effects. Frankly, I don’t think I ever would’ve noticed were it not for you pointing it out. :smile:

I think if you can run mvn clean install on a 2.5.0-SNAPSHOT binding and it will succeed you should be fine.

So, if it works, why worry. I like that and it is a good answer as well.
Some times you just like to know which version is here and there and everywhere.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year :slight_smile:

//Basse

Hi,
Found some maybe helpful info, and Please correct me if I am totally wrong regarding this issue.
Link for the lastest repo: https://bintray.com/openhab/p2/openhab-deps-repo

In IDE / Package Explorer / Infrastructure / launch / openhab.target / Tab Definition

I have seen that some bindings is said to be ex. 0.11.0, this must be regarded to:
In IDE / Package Explorer / Runtime / org.eclipse.smarthome.core / pom.xml // 0.11.0-SNAPSHOT

Br Basse