Howto add a device to the zwave database

When i click on the binding i cant see any version number, cant even manage to find the version number for OH2?
Ops, now i got it:
Z-Wave Binding
binding-zwave - 2.0.0

I think that you need to upgrade your binding to get this sensor working.
Z-Wave 2.0.0 binding was released with openHAB2 stable in Jan/17 and this device was added in Mar/17 in the database.

Uninstall the Z-Wave binding from PaperUI and then re-install it. This should (?) upgrade it to the latest version.

To see the detailed version, get in the openHAB2 console and type:

list -s |grep -i ZWave

Quick version check also here: http://<OH2_IP>:8080/rest/extensions/binding-zwave (if you have the REST docs Misc Addon installed)

Amazing support!! thank you!
I uninstalled it, now im looking at the list of plugins but is still says:
Z-Wave Binding
binding-zwave - 2.0.0

And i have the option to install?
As i start to understand i need a screen connected to my rapsberry in order to change anything? dont have any screen and would have hoped that i could do it through terminal, no way to fix this?

result
{“id”:“binding-zwave”,“label”:“Z-Wave Binding”,“version”:“2.0.0”,“link”:“http://docs.openhab.org/addons/bindings/zwave/readme.html",“installed”:false,“type”:"binding”}

I believe that if you have enabled in PaperUI->Configuration->System->Access Remote Repository, OH2 will download the latest version of the binding.

You don’t need to have a screen connected to the rPi. You need a SSH Client (for example: PuTTY) installed in your Windows PC and then connect using that to the rPi console/terminal (use the IP address of the rPi to connect to it with username pi and default password raspberry)
Then from there, connect to the openHAB console (sudo ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101 with password habopen)

Then, within the OH2 console: list -s |grep -i ZWave

remote repository is ON, by default…

As i understand that possibility of remote access is locked when i use the predefined OH2 Image?
Running Mac so i tried in terminal: pi@10.0.1.32
"raspberry" wont work as password, just denied.

Since I haven’t tested this… I may be wrong and you could get the 2.0.0 Z-Wave binding again after re-installation…
If it doesn’t work, try to use the Snapshot version of the Z-Wave binding:

Are you using openHABian or vanilla Raspbian ?

With openHABian the default credentials combo is: openhabian/openhabian
Vanilla Raspbian is: pi/raspberry. Note: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-security-update-for-raspbian-pixel/

I assume that you have connected before to the rPi console/terminal… maybe you have modified the password?

Sorry, my bad. No i got logged on through terminal.
openhabian/openhabian.

i ran your command: list -s |grep -i ZWave
Just getting command not found

i will try the instructions form the thred you linked :slight_smile:

This is a command to be used within the openHAB2 console
After you connect to the rPi console/terminal, get in the OH2 console by: sudo ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101 with password habopen. Then, issue the command.

Finally, i managed to run the command:
212 | Installed | 80 | 2.2.0.201706290942 | ZWave Binding | org.openhab.binding.zwave

And before i run it i donwloaded the latest snapshot and moved it to addon folder, then restarted my raspberry.
Paper Ui still says version 2.0.0

Thanks for your effort and patience :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, PaperUI will display the “standard” binding. You won’t see the manually deployed snapshot version in PaperUI.
When using a manual installation method for your bindings (placing them in the addons folder), you should NOT install the binding from PaperUI (to avoid having 2 conflicting bindings installed).

Important note: The binding state is: Installed
To make it Active, issue the following command in the OH2 console: feature:install openhab-transport-serial
(this is an one time step, no need to perform this again later)

Alright, i ran the command and it seems ok. Now how do i install this binding 2.2.0 so i can add my things again?

It is now properly installed (check again with list -s |grep -i ZWave if it shows as Active)
Your things should be already there (changing the binding doesn’t remove your existing things).
You can delete the PAT02-1B sensor thing and re-add it using PaperUI discovery
Remember that with battery power devices, initialization could take some time. Wake up the device manually several times to speed up this process and have OH2 recognize it faster.

Dude!!!

you got’a be the most awesome person i know!!
It works, thanks a lot. Now i will move on understanding Openhab :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

You should thank @chris for making the Z-Wave binding, maintaining a top class device database, updating code, etc, etc… without all that… we would be all scratching our heads :slight_smile:

That dude is also awesome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all, thanks @chris for the binding… really looking forward to getting devices up and running but mine’s one that isn’t in the database. I’ve asked for permission on the database guide page but I’m not sure if that’s the most appropriate place to ask. Any advice fellow OpenHAB’ers?

What is your username on the database? No problem to give you access…

@chris Hi Chris, is there any way to add a device “privately” with my own device.xml or is it necessary to add it the official way?

Background: I have a Z-Uno and I think it isn’t useful for other to have my private project at the device database. I have no problems with that of course, but if I change something I need to readd it again and it messes up the official db a little bit…

The XML files are compiled in to the binding - so you can create your own binding if you like, but that’s the only way.

There has been some discussion about creating a superset of channels to handle the Z-Uno to get around this current limitation.