HowTo: Listen & Talk to your Home

added 2 more FAQs. I think that they are useful in tutorials

1 Like

aha! the openhab documentation bot is slow again :slight_smile:
It should have pulled that version and published it on Introduction | openHAB by now (last update to your link is 26 days ago :slight_smile:

Thanx for the link ! I will further update the supported tags

1 Like

Regarding the [“CurrentHumidty”] there is a small note to catch. It doesn´t show anywhere. It´s part of the thermostat. It confused me some days ago, when I added it to my setup. One simply have to ask for the humidity to know if it works.
Since this guide is is about listen and talk to. I´ll let you decide if it´s worth mentioning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s one you might want to include on the Q&A, or at the top of the topic.

Q: How can I get this to work with Alexa?

A: This tutorial is for Google, not Alexa.

Surprised no ones asked this yet.:smile:

3 Likes

Added :wink: :smile:

2 Likes

Please read this, also located at the end of the tutorial.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Dim…
I have a question. (well, partly an request :slight_smile: ).
My plans is to use several devices for “listen and talk to” spred around all over our house. That include several Google home devices, as well as one android tablet, (main communication device). I have however yet to discover how to use a tablet for both talk to as well as listen…
As far as I understand you´r tutorial, you´re dealing with one device only, which is the default sink? I wonder if you could spred some light about this issue of using more than one device, if that is possible at all?

The default sink in my tutorial is Web Audio. This means: Any Web Browser pointing to either PaperUI or HABpanel URLs.

I used 2 devices: my PC and my mobile to test things out and I had PaperUI always open on the PC, so I was able to listen to the TTS audio.
If you have 2 browsers (or tabs) open to both PaperUI and HABpanel, you will listen to the same audio output twice :slight_smile:

I don’t know if you use a tablet and have the browser in the background, working with the Google Home App in the foreground, if you will be able to receive the Web Audio (most likely no :frowning: ).

The audio feedback is “channeled” only to the browser (not to the GH app)

Since you will have Google Home devices available, you can send the TTS Audio to them (either configure the default to Sink to be the GH device or specify the audio sink in your say command)

Thats smart :smile: Except, in my plans…

… is a bit tricky, cause I will not be using web audio. I will be using chromecast´s devices as “speak to”, as well as “listen to” TTS audio. And even more, I plan on making somekind of presence detection, and only send TTS audio to that/these rooms where presence is detected. I know, this will require rather advance rules. But at least thats an idea. :slight_smile:

I know how to cast TTS audio to chromecast devices. I already do that with the one Google Home Mini I´ve got. My concern is, how to cast TTS audio to an Android tablet. I dont even know if thats possible, unless I´ll be using the web audio. I guess this is a question to be searched for…

It should now work out of the box on Raspberry Pis with 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT Build #1446 or newer.

1 Like

Thanx! I am updating the first post now

Quick clarification question: Everything with regards to the installation instructions posted on: Google Cloud Text-to-Speech - Voices | openHAB remains the same… Correct? (get JSON, plug it in PaperUI)

1 Like

That’s right! It works exactly the same on any architecture while the addon got a lot smaller. :slight_smile:

1 Like

this thread has started to show up on https://www.openhab.org/about/showcase.html

It also has 6k views on twitter :stuck_out_tongue: https://twitter.com/Angelos_F/status/1064609328156631043

We need to improve the content on the first post… what about making it a Wiki?

done, thanx @rlkoshak !

Anyone can modify now the top post and add more complex examples of this base implementation.

you should…

btw: I just tried with my mobile phone and the Samsung browser as well as Chrome and both work ok with web audio on HABPanel url (even when they were in the background and even when phone was locked with screen off :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Hi @Dim, it is possible to execute a defined routine in Google Home from openhab?

doubt it
in general, these integrations receive info from the remote applications, not the other way around (you cannot control Google Home/Assistant from openHAB… you can control openHAB from Google Home/Assistant).

maybe? some crazy IFTTT link could trigger your Google Home/Assistant Routines…
…but… why would you want to do this?

You can manage all your stuff with openHAB using rules. Setup scenes and much more complex functionalities than GH provides.

edit: no you can’t use IFTTT to trigger a Google Home Routine: https://youtu.be/Be2VYYax5G0?t=390

Yes, maybe I’m thinking wrong. My idea is do the next:

When I arrive home, the door sensor sends to OH that someone enter at home, and OH with the Network Binding detect that its me and switch on the light. Then, send to Google Home the command “I have arrive” that it’s a routine to read me the reminders, for example. But its an idea…

The first part can be done with rules within openHAB
The second part cannot be done since (according to my understanding) Google Assistant does not have (yet?) the ability to receive external inputs that can triggers its Routines.