Hubitat To OpenHAB

Currenty a Hubitat user and thinking of changing to Openhap. I just want to do some experimenting first to try it out.

I have read a lot on this forum but still confused about a couple things.

For now I just want to access a few devices on my HE hub. I know that HE has the Maker API which can do a Web Socket. But I can’t seem to figure out if that will work to access the devices on OH. Also see a lot about MQTT. I think what I need is a simple tutorial as to how to do that.

For now I am going to use an old laptop running Windows 10 to try out. Then if it all works out buy a PI. Can my configuration be easily transferred to the PI at that time? Or will everything have to be redone?

Thanks all.

I do not believe that OH natively supports subscribing to web sockets. NodeRed does I think which has integration with openHAB.

Yes, you’ll run the backup script, copy that zip file to the RPi and run openhab-cli restore.

I went to Adding Things -Advanced.

I installed Mosquitto and ran it as a service.
Went to Things and added MQTT Broker.
But what do I put in the Broker hostname/IP??
Nothing I try works.

The hostname/IP address where the separate MQTT broker software (i.e. Mosquitto) is running.

I have mosquitto on the same machine as I am trying to run OpenHap. I tried that IP address and it didn’t work.

Well, since you’ve provide absolutely no details… :man_shrugging:

I would be happy to provide details. I just don’t know what details you need. Give me an idea what info and I will get it. Please and thank you.

If this helps.

Windows 10.
OpenHab installed and running.
Installed Mosquitto on same machine. Checked and it is running as a service.
Checked the IP address of the machine. Entered that in the IP field. Clicked ok and it gives me a comm error.

Put localhost for the ip part, and 1883, default port of mosquitto

This is a good start.

Other useful info:

• Which version of openHAB
  • The contents of the code tab for the MQTT Thing
  • The exact error you see in the openHAB log, if any

Please use code fences for all logs and code.

```
code goes here
```

That worked. localhost and the port.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi.

I have read a long time on Hubitat forums, but I am very confused as to how to do this on the Hubitat end. I have installed the beta3d driver, app and virtual device, but from there I am struggling. I have understood the homie protocol is an essential part here.

Mosquito and OpenHAB are Online and hosted on the same server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.