Hue Binding control group of lights

I want to turn on all of my lights in a certain room. When I arrange those lights in a group and set this group to ON, the lights turn on sequently with some millis delay.

When i turn this group on via my hardware hue switch the all turn on together since a request is send to a hue group.

Is there a way to do this via the binding?

Iā€™ll let a Hue expert chime in but Iā€™m going to guess the answer is no based on my understanding of how OH works.

Iā€™m not an expert, but you could try to look into the API to control groups:

http://www.developers.meethue.com/documentation/getting-started

I actually just thought of something that may work but Iā€™m sure and Iā€™m also not sure it would meet your needs.

But if you create a timer to trigger the lights 10-100 msec into the future for each of the lights maybe they will execute a little closer to the same time.

myLights.members.forEach[light|createTimer(now.plsuMilliseconds(50 | light.sendCommand(OFF)))]

NOTE, double check above, I just typed it in and it probably has errors.

Yes i saw in the API that there is a way just dont know if its implemented

rlkoshak thanks for your code, there were some typos so here a update if someone wants to use it. Indeed it improved the situation, but still the lights wonā€™t switch on in perfect synchro :wink:

gLights.members.forEach[light| createTimer( now.plusMillis(10) )[ | light.sendCommand(OFF) ]]

So I think a update of the hue binding to set command to the API for a group would be perfect

That is very likely easier said than done. Groups are managed and maintained by the core, not the Hue binding. There may be a way for the Hue binding to allow one to create an Item that represents a group of lights, but the Hue binding has no control over how Groups are processed.

Yes thats how i meant the implementation in thw hue binding. To be able to define a new item type huegroup.

I also think this would be very useful. I dont have any need for individual lights in OpenHab as I dont control them individually on a day by day basis. Id rather define scenes and then call upon Hue Groups to active different scenes. I wish it could be done with the Hue bindingā€¦ A manual hack could be to get your API key from Hue Bridge and use the exec binding to perform calls directly to the RESTful interfaceā€¦ I do this now to turn off and on all lights.

Yes thats how i do it currently too: Send a request via curl to the hue api.

It looks way smoother when all lights turn on in synchro when the door is opened

Iā€™m baffled that this isnā€™t already implemented. Although I understand supporting groups in addition to individual lights might be a tad complex, considering their connection.

I might quickly look into modifying the Hue binding to deal with groups instead of lights. That would mostly resolve it on my part. I have no need for individual control over bulbs, since all my bulbs are part of groups.

@bjornha Did you make some progress?

Just setting up my hom automation again in the flat and getting to the same point where i want to switch on and off a group of lights.

Since I donā€™t like the sequential on/off when using openhab group: Is there any progress on the binding with added group support? Or should I write a function to send a put request to HUE Api for the group?

Iā€™m on the same issue. Does anyone have a solution on that? I want to control groups of bulbs as well.

I solved this one by setting a switch for each room. Based on this switch status I sent my own request to the Hue API. All you have to find is your group id in the hue api. In the example below 7

var String hueApiCall = "curl@@-X@@PUT@@-d@@{\"on\": %s}@@http://192.168.0.11/api/your api key/groups/%d/action"

rule "Light Kitchen" when
	Item Lights_kitchen received command 
	then
		if( Lights_kitchen.state == ON ){
			// Turn group on
			executeCommandLine(String::format(hueApiCall,"true",7))			
		}
		else{
			executeCommandLine(String::format(hueApiCall,"false",7))			
		}
end

To keep track of the status if the group I have another openhab group and change the status of the switch accordingly

Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)  gLights_livingroom
Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)  gLights_bedroom
Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)  gLights_kitchen
Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)  gLights_guestroom
Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)  gLights_auto

[....]

// Switches to turn off/on all lights in Room
Switch Lights_guestroom	 "Guestroom Light"
Switch Lights_livingroom "Livingroom Light"
Switch Lights_kitchen "Kitchen Light"
Switch Lights_Bedroom "Bedroom Light"

[...]

rule "Update Light Switches" when
	Item gLights_livingroom changed or Item gLights_kitchen changed or Item gLights_guestroom changed or Item gLights_bedroom changed
	then
		Lights_guestroom.postUpdate( gLights_guestroom.state )
		Lights_Bedroom.postUpdate( gLights_guestroom.state )
		Lights_livingroom.postUpdate( gLights_livingroom.state )
		Lights_kitchen.postUpdate( gLights_kitchen.state )	
end

Thanks for that. The rule generally works, but i am still experiencing that the group of lights is not being updated correctly. But there is no error in the log. When i switch of the lights via openhab app on my mobile, it is going back to ā€œonā€ a few seconds later.
any idea what might cause this?

Thanks,

Discovered today itā€™s possible to define a single item and assign multiple Things to it.

Dimmer hue_group1 "3 spots as one" { channel="hue:0220:0017880a91a9:10:brightness,hue:0220:0017880a91a9:11:brightness,hue:0220:0017880a91a9:12:brightness" }

Then with a single Slider you can control all the lights as one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does this also works when youā€™ve already defined the individual items (as ā€˜stand-aloneā€™ units)?
Would be interesting to prevent the default group-behaviour.