Hue Binding - Dimmer Switch

I was only able to do a quick test on the toggle, that worked without any problems.

Switch LivingRoomTogglye { channel="zwave:device:uzb:node37:switch_dimmer1", channel="hue:0830:yxyxyxyxyxyx:5:tap_switch_event" [profile="hue:toggle-switch", event="34.0"] }

1 Like

I’m going to test it tomorow and will post my results.

Will test tomorrow too. Stay tuned.:grinning:

Hello @cweitkamp thank you very much for the update on hue binding.

Do you have a jar with the last fix you did ? I would also like to try it so I can give some feedbacks too if needed.
Thank you in advance

@sbeex Yes, I have. It is linked few posts above:

Some initial results from quick tests of the binding:

• There is some dependency issue with the mqttgeneric binding, which results in repeated attempts to install the oh240 version of the Hue binding as well (set to Installed state). Probably an issue with that binding? BTW, I run 2.4.0 Release Build.
[ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-mqttgeneric': Error restarting bundles:
        Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.hue [220]
  Another singleton bundle selected: osgi.identity; osgi.identity="org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.hue"; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="0.11.0.201901011457"; singleton:="true"
  • For the Hue Tap devices events seem to be triggered only once every few attempts (key presses) if I set the parameters: sensorPollingInterval=200, pollingInterval=5. With the defaults, it is about one missing event every 5-6 presses of a Tap switch.
  • No events are triggered on startup anymore. :+1:
  • I tried the toggle switch profile which does turn the light and switch on/off (with the restriction mentioned before):
Switch SW_DiningLight1 {channel="hue:0220:xxxxxxxxxxxx:bulb_dining1:brightness", channel="hue:0830:xxxxxxxxxxxx:tap_dining:tap_switch_event" [profile="hue:toggle-switch", event="18.0"]}
  • Haven’t tested the Dimmer switches yet.

UPDATE:

• I could not reproduce the missing event issue anymore after restarting the bundle, neither with the defaults nor with the shorter polling times. The weird thing is that when the binding missed a key pressed event in my initial test, the Hue bridge did detect the key pressed status and fired its own rule (I still have Hue rules defined for the Taps).

• The Dimmer Switch also works with the toggle-switch profile for toggling a Hue light on and off.

• While doing key press stress tests with the Tap, at a certain moment there was an event “98.0” when I accidentally pressed both key “17.0” and “18.0” at the same time:

[model.script.HUErule.TapSwitch.Event] - HUE Tap Remote switch event hue:0830:xxxxxxxxxxxx:tap_dining:tap_switch_event triggered 98.0
  • With both “16.0” and “34.0” pressed, event “101.0” is triggered. In my setup it is physically impossible to press other combinations at the same time because the switch is behind a wall-mounted Busch-Jaeger frame and toggle switch, but I guess there are more combinations possible. Anyone with a Tap switch still in tact care to test?

Hi!

Just read about the new profiles and it seems those make life a lot easier.
(Reminds me of creating groups in KNX …) :slight_smile:
Will you update the binding shortly the “official” way or is this only possible in 2.5?

Thank you

Thanks for detailed testing. I tried to reproduce your findings with my Hue Dimmer Switch but it was not possible. I never received a “combined event” like you. Maybe a Busch-Jaeger specific behavior?

Everything has to go the “official” way (snapshot, milestone, release) … I already submitted a work-in-progress Pull Request.

I probably was not clear enough, but I meant the Hue Tap, not the Dimmer Switch. :grinning:

You were. But as I do not have access to a Hue Tap I used my Dimmer …

So, no magic with the Dimmer Switch then.

Hi

i installed the pre official .jar you provided too. so far i created 2 dimmer and 2 tap things. all of them are sending values.
today (if i find some time) i will go deeper into testing and try to implement those 4 devices into my smart home so i get rid of the set up via the hue app.

I’ll report back asap :slight_smile:
Again: Thanks for your great work!

When button 2 (16.0) and 4 (18.0) are pressed I sometimes get 98.0, sometimes 99.0. All other combinations of simultaneous pressing don’t give anything at my Tap.

Nothing here on my Tap.

@cweitkamp

I tested it now.

I do ALWAYS get:

34.0=Button 1
16.0=Button 2
17.0=Button 3
18.0=Button 4

I also tested “long press” and “short press” and “simultaneous press”. All the same.
I can confirm @sihui 's statement:

2 Likes

yep. same here.
but why would you need that?
you have 8 possible things you can trigger with short and long press it think thats sufficient …

1 Like

hi

can you please provide a link to the busch jäger fames you use?

Not at all. It was just discovered during testing :grinning:

Sure. I bought a pair of these Eltako FT55R and combined them with a Busch-Jaeger Reflex SI frame and replaced the EnOcean switch inside with the one in the Hue Tap.
Like I mentioned here, if I had known that the Philips Hue Tap has an EnOcean module inside, I might have taken a simpler route. Because you can just alternatively buy an EnOcean USB300 to function as a bridge and connect the FT55R. That way you can do without a Philips Hue Tap (and Bridge), but you would need an EnOcean binding.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Dear all,

I am tinkering around with the new Hue specific profiles in my environment and struggling with some not expect issues. I just want to let you know what I am faceing and discuss possible solutions with all of you. I am trying to connect a TRADFRI remote control to a dimmable light. As a side note: the TRADFRI remote control supports 5 different buttons and only 3 events (e.g. 1001, 1002 and 1003, etc.) for each of them. Let’s assume the dimmable has a brightness Channel and the remote a buttonevent Trigger, dispatching one of the above mentioned events.

First of all I added a “hue:toggle-switch” profile to a link between a Switch Item and the brightness Channel. This is working nicely.

Switch myBulbPower {
    channel="hue:0100:1:1:brightness",
    channel="hue:0830:1:2:buttonevent" [profile="hue:toggle-switch", event="1002"]
}

After that I tried to add a “hue:generic-command” profile to a link between a Dimmer Item and the brightness Channel. Know the issue happens. My expectations are when event “2002” has been triggered the brightness increases, and when event “3002” has been triggered the brightness decreases. Changing the brightness using a Slider element in a Sitemap is working fine. But pressing desired buttons only the second one for “DECREASE” is working.

Dimmer myBulbBrightness {
    channel="hue:0830:1:2:buttonevent" [profile="hue:generic-command", event="2002", command="INCREASE"],
    channel="hue:0830:1:2:buttonevent" [profile="hue:generic-command", event="3002", command="DECREASE"]
}

Currently I am thinking that the framework somehow restricts the multi channel linking to one link per Item and Channel. Meaning during creation one Link will be suppressed. Now the first question: Do you experience similar issues?

What can be a possible solution?

1. Change the design of the Hue specific profiles to allow more than one “event” for configuration

Rename “event” parameter to “events” and accept a comma-separated list. An example could say more than words:

Switch myBulbPower {
    channel="hue:0830:1:2:buttonevent" [profile="hue:toggle-switch", events="1002,1003"]
}

This solution will solve a second issue I experienced while testing. If I pressed the button a little bit longer not a “press” was triggered but a “hold released”. BUT this solution will not work with the “hue:generic-command” profile.

1. Solution No. 1 for the toggle profiles and a mapping between commands and events for the configuration - similar for the mapping in a Sitemap for Selecting elements
Dimmer myBulbBrightness {
    channel="hue:0830:1:2:buttonevent" [profile="hue:generic-command", commands="2002=INCREASE,1003=INCREASE,3002=DECREASE,..."]
}

This solution needs more text to configure multiple events for the same command.

1. Open a feature request to enhance the framework

I am not sure if I am able to implement it on my own because currently I am more or less the profile user not the expert in the core implementation.

Which way do you prefer?

Your opinion and different suggestions for different ways to solve this are very much appreciated

Have a nice evening.