[Hue Emulation] Items with Switchable tag are not discovered

Most of them are older than a year, some of them are even older., I only purchased a new Echo Show a week ago.

If anything it has to be firmware related. What firmware are your Echo devices running on?

Device software version:
628538120 (Echo)
628538220 (2nd Echo)
628538320 (Echo dot)

Thinking about it, this has probably nothing to do with any Echo device. The discovery is done by the Echo app on your phone and not by any Echo device. And we know that amazon can selectively turn on and of features in your Echo app/account so it is the most likely account and/or app version related.

I don’t think this is correct. Wireshark shows the queries coming from all the echo devices. Not to mention that you can initiate discovery by voice or the website.

I think the real question is what models and firmware are the devices that DO discover the OSRAM units?

Okay, thanks for the Info. I didn’t know that. I still think it has something to do with your account, as amazon can switch on and off features selectively and not with any specific device.

I have the same firmware version on my Echo and it’s not discovering the Osram switch

Edit: I have looked up all devices and have 3 different firmware versions. I know that some of my echoes do not recognise Plugs.

At the moment my Osram plugs are recognised as “Royal Philips Electronics intelligentes GerĂ€t”. Sometimes it is an “On/Off plug”.

I also have double entries, see:

HÀngeschrank - Royal Philips Electronics intelligentes GerÀt Forget
HĂ€ngeschrank - Color Light Forget
Bett - Royal Philips Electronics intelligentes GerÀt Forget
Bett - Dimmable Light Forget

after reading me into the hue emulation 2.4 topic and some opened issues on github like https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/issues/4293 , I’m still unable to control my roller shutter with percentage commands like “alexa, roller shutter 60%” which did work before with this item: Rollershutter Rollo "Rollo" <rollershutter> (Wohnzimmer, pGroup) ["Switchable"] {channel="zwave:device:1aa147bc:node12:blinds_control"}

so
 any idea of workaround due roller shutter? Is it possible to add the old hue emulation binding to openhab 2.4?

Rollershutters are not directly supported, but dimmer items are. Just create a second item of type Dimmer with the same channel and that will work.

This thread seems too deal with tags that are visible to Alexa and specifically with Hue Emulation.
I am having a discovery issue that is not with Hue emulation and wondered if it is somehow caught up in here too, i.e. is the statement above accurate or an oversimplification?

In my system, I do not have Hue Emulation binding loaded and normally I use either “Lighting” for dimable lights, and “Switchable” for switch ON/OFF type behaviour, it could be for anything even a dummy switch or a dummy dimmer. There is no Hue Emulation involved as I understand it.

I also notice that this may not be to do with the upgrade to v2.4 but an Amazon thing.
I have just begun my investigation of how v2.3 is behaving for me.

Thanks

Paul

If you use myopenhab, then this thread is indeed not the correct one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am from Germany as well and had the same issue: “Switchables” were not discovered anymore after upgrading to 2.4. In 2.3 it still works. The hint from DSTM fixed the problem.

thx. workaround works pretty good. just 0% value he does not understand. I believe it’s something like shutdown instead of dimming the light/roller shutter. But I can live with 1% for close the roller shutter.

sorry for the maybe stupid question, but what is changed from 2.3 to 2.4 and why the changes in 2.4 can not be reset to 2.3?

I installed manually the 2.3RC2 version of hue emulation in openhab 2.4 and the alexa integration works fine again. “Switchable” items are found from Alexa again. Also I got a problem with 2.4, if an item is switched on with Alexa and switched off by openhab, then I can not switch on the item again with Alex. With 2.3RC2 it works.

The changes were made by me. Because I needed real switches, not “dimmable lights”. Because that was the only type that the old hue emulation could expose. Every item with the correct tags it found, it just dumped via the REST api. No type checking, no caching, no color support, no white temperature support, nothing.

So I rewrote the emulation to be as accurate as possible in emulating a newer hue bridge (v2). And Philips never sold a wall plug, so I needed to use another manufacturer and settled on Osram plugs. Works for me. Doesn’t work for a lot of other people.

That’s the story behind it. Apparently my type restrictions were a bit too strict, this is being reviewed at the moment and will be available in OH 2.5 snapshots soon. But switchables
 they will stay. They work in Apps, Google Home etc. Just not in all Echos.

Cheers, David

Thx for the Update and great Job!! I will try the 2.5 snapshot.

I have a similar issue as Bameke where if I manually turn on a light, (e.g. using a wall switch or HABPanel), I cannot turn it off with Alexa. I have to ask Alexa to turn on the light before I can turn off the light with Alexa. Although I do have an “all the lights” group that I can ask Alexa to turn off and it will work.

Is that something also being addressed in the next version?

Yes that was merged just today. Expect it in a snapshot release in the first week of 2019.

1 Like

Hi all!
I have the same problem, but what I see is that Switchable tag works after update but only over switch or dimmer items.

Before updating, I had a rollershutter item tagged like switchable and alexa was able to manage this device. After update I had to change this item to dimmer one and tag like Lighting instead of rollershutter item tagged like Switchable to keep working as in this thread was proposed

Could be possible that any item tagged was considered by hue emulation?