HUSBZB-1 Z-wave controller keeps going offline

I’ve been having some trouble with my server losing contact with the Z-wave and Zigbee devices in my home periodically. Restarting openhab (not a full reboot) makes them come back.

When I open up HabAdmin, I see the Z-wave Serial Controller listed in “Things” periodically go from online (green check) to an undetermined status (gray question mark) to offline (red x) and then back to online.

Similarly, if I watch it in PaperUI, it goes from online to an error state ("UNINITIALIZED - HANDLER MISSING ERROR) to offline and then back to online.

I’m running openhab 2.5.4 on Ubuntu 18.04 on an Intel Atom based system. The controller is operating on port /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 (dmesg confirms cp210x is attached to both). The permissions on the ttys are set correctly.

Any idea what could be causing this? I’m not even sure what to check at this point.

Check this post: 2.5 issues after upgrade

could be that your system is restarting every minute which is a commonly reported issue. The fix is in that post. It appears to be a Z-wave issue since you see it in the logs, but the underlying issue in addons.cfg. This is just a guess, but maybe that post will help?

I updated to 2.5.4 a while ago, but I gave this a shot - I cleaned the cache, but I didn’t have any cfg files that had anything in them (everything was commented out) except for my insteon cfg, which I can’t imagine would have anything to do with z-wave. We’ll see if the clean cache helps…

OK - no dice. I’m still getting the same behavior with Z-wave, and now ALL of my Zigbee devices are reporting “BRIDGE OFFLINE” all the time even when the Z-wave controller (which is the same physical device) is showing online and Z-wave devices are working fine. So this is even worse!

how is the stick plugged into the system? sounds like maybe serial problem?
Put the binding(s) logs in debug mode and post up when it happens

It’s plugged directly into a USB port.

The overall cutting out issue has been there, but it seems to be much more frequent recently. Looking at the logs, it appears that it’s re-starting the ZWave Controller once every minute.

The Zigbee issue just started after I cleaned the openhab cache - it will no longer talk to the Zigbee controller on the stick, which means several of my lights are DOA! Looking at the logs, it appears it things /dev/ttyUSB1 is in use and it can’t bind to it. This is a NEW issue after I cleaned the OpenHab cache per the suggestion in the thread linked by @jswim788. Zigbee worked fine (although it cut out at times much like ZWave) until I did that clean cache. I’ve tried re-starting OH, and also re-starting the entire system to no avail.

The log file is really big - is there somewhere I can place it and link to?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. How do I increase the debug level on the binding? I’ve looked in PaperUI and I can’t seem to find any way to do this.

That’s the classic symptom. There’s more information here. You also need to check this file: userdata/config/org/openhab/addons.config where userdata depends on your installation, could be in /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab. Look for other suspicious lines in your log file to give you a clue. Something about “Failed installing ‘openhab-misc-restdocs’” or other bindings.

1 Like