I don't know if you guys heard, but OpenHab works pretty good with iOS's HomeKit

Homebridge-openHAB (0.1.21 and later) now supports reading items in Frame {} and Group {} blocks: item is not a widget.

@Arsur Yeah. Itā€™s not a big deal.

Iā€™m having an issue reading items from my homebridge sitemap. Iā€™ve simplified the sitemap to only a single item and tried adding the item explicitly via the customAttr feature, but when starting homebridge I see

Loading 1 platforms...
[openHAB] Initializing openHAB platform...
[openHAB] Platform - Fetching OpenHAB devices.
[openHAB] Platform - Connecting to http://192.168.1.100:8080/rest/sitemaps/homebridge?type=json

No items recognizedā€¦

My sitemap looks like this:

sitemap homebridge label="OpenHAB" {
    Switch item=gAllLights label="All Lights"
}

And here is my homebridge config:

{
    "bridge": {
        "name": "Homebridge",
        "username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:31",
        "port": 51826,
        "pin": "012-34-567"
    },

"platforms": [
        {
            "platform": "openHAB",
            "name": "openHAB",
            "host": "192.168.1.100",
            "port": "8080",
            "sitemap": "homebridge",
            "useLabelForName": true
        }
    ]
}

I can see the sitemap config at /rest/sitemaps/homebridge?type=json and it looks correct.

Any ideas?

As far as I know, it doesnā€™t support groups. Put just one light in your site map and try. And you can open an issue on the homebridge-openhab github.

My Openhab is running under Windows. Is there a anywhere an installation guide for dummies using this OS?

@martin_klimke Iā€™ve put a link above.

@alex_bartis,
Do you mean the post
ā€œBoth the bridge and the openhab plugin are written on NodeJS, which you can install on windowsā€ above?
This is a discription is good if you do not understand how to click on an install scrip for node.js. This is pretty trival and is not the solution.

The problem is the rest. One probably has to install supporting functions like git, Bonjour, ā€¦
I only found a description which consists of a super complex installation process which will probably not work for me due to its complexity and the likelyhood of errors.

mhm i found some time to get this running over the suggested way above. But iam somehow stuck at the config.json partā€¦

Loaded plugin: homebridge-openhab
Registering platform 'homebridge-openhab.openHAB'
---
Couldn't find a config.json file at '/home/orangepi/.homebridge/config.json'.

so i created via editor a config.json and put it in the folder /usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge

{
    "bridge": {
        "name": "Homebridge",
        "username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:30",
        "port": 51826,
        "pin": "031-45-154"
    },

"platforms": [
    	{
        	"platform": "openHAB",
        	"name": "openHAB",
        	"host": "192.168.**.**",
        	"port": "8080",
        	"sitemap": "Homekit",
        	"useLabelForName": true
    	}
	],

"accessories": []
}

he still gives me the some message config.json not found at .

i think i misunderstood something. Any help?

Well, it is searching for the config in /home/orangepi/.homebridge/
config.json

so i have to create a folder there only with that config file ?

i created a Folder /home/orangepi/Desktop/homebridge and put the cinfig.json in it. its still not working

that folder should be there. and if I remember correctly a default config is already created.

puh okay than i have a realy bad bug/problem, Because i did everything as described and realy everything is working on this Debian System. And even the Homebridge, node.js and ā€¦ works normal.

I only have default config file in this folder (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge), as described 2 posts earlier

Make sure itā€™s in
/home/orangepi/.homebridge/config.json

There is a ā€œ.ā€ in front of homebridge

1 Like

now i have it. Sry iam kind of new to Linux. This folder was ā€œhiddenā€. ā€œ.Folderā€ seems to be some kind of namingrule for hiddenfoldersā€¦

Exactly :smile:

its working perfectly now. Thanks for your help. I realy hate those little mistakes i make XD

this plugin is so great! Even my Max! Heatingssystem can be controlled

Thanks for posting, got this up and running this weekend. Works great!

This is really great! Thank you for posting it! I have this working with my iPhone6, OpenHAB 2.0.0 Alpha running the Hue binging (controlling two Hue Lux and two GE Link bulbs), with Plex Media Server, all on a Mac Mini running OS X El Capitan Server (which is handling Posfix for mail, CalDav, ContactDAV, OpenLDAP, L2TP, MySQL, and Xcode servers to support the alerts and other bits and bobs).

I just got and setup the Hue bridge and bulbs last night to satisfy an OpenHAB jones, after failing to wire up a new z-wave dimmer thanks to really ancient wiring. I just happened to stumble across this this afternoon when I was setting up forum preferences for my new OpenHAB.org account and thought Iā€™d give it a goā€¦ Wow!

Like you @alex_bartis , I had it more or less up and running within about two hours. I just followed the instructions for setting up the stuff behind the two links you posted as if I were running any Linux box and BAM! Itā€™s running like a champ! Once I had Homebridge properly talking to OpenHAB2 and it was running, I tried two free HomeKit apps and then just plunked down the two bucks for MyTouchHome in the App Store. It immediately found all my bulbs configured with the Hue binding in OpenHab and Siri was able to control them.

I havenā€™t successfully worked through a non-HomeKit item/device. Itā€™s beer oā€™clock after all that.

P.S. Iā€™ve been running OpenHAB (mostly 1) for several months. I finally broke down and setup an account so I could follow development of OpenHAB2 and the bindings I use most.

After all that, I had to share.

This is my first forum post, BTW, so ā€œHi from Denver! and Merry Christmas!!ā€ And thanks to @Kai and the OpenHAB community! It is a load of fun in here. :smile:

Not sure if you are all aware of it, but there should be a direct HomeKit support in openHAB 2 soon, see https://github.com/openhab/openhab2/issues/257 - so no need to setup any additional bridge with that. Just thought that should be mentioned here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool, Thanks!