Ideas for my smart home - how can be this done?

Hy there!
I’m a beginner in Openhab, but i want to try to accessing my existing hardware with it. My system is simple, i have a 3 level house, and i want to control lights, heating, alarm, accessing the house, and later the multimedia and garden irigation.

The main core will be a RPI and an arduino mega, and a lots of relays and maybe dimmers (designed by me). Ewerything in the whole house is cabled, so no need the wireless transmission.

Summary of the needs:

1. Lights.
    I have over a 30 different light circuit, and for each i have push-button mounted on wall. For each push-button group i have cat5e cable, with 2x4 wire twisted, max. 3x2 used for switching the light, and 1 pair for i2c connection of temp and humidity sensor.

Can anybody tell me if i can handle all the gpios available on the rpi and arduino mega? Is it possible tho control 2 arduino board with rpi? Or there is an orher smartest sollution to have more gpios?

1. The heating.
    I have an ordinary gas boiler (Viessmann Vitopend 100). I need 3 zone for heating correspomding to the 3 levels in my house, working absolutelly independent, but using the same boiler. I want to collect data from the wall mounted sensors and compared somehow with an thermostat program, that command the boiler and the 3 main valve.

2. Alarm.
    I have a DSC alarm system, with cables PIR sensors, i have 2 zones. I want to control ower app or browser this. Also i want to collect datas from the PIRs to make rules and scenarios for lights.

3. Intercom, entrance system.
    I wanna have an lcd beside the entrance door to controle the whole house with video intercom.

4. Multimedia.
    It resume only in multi room sound.
    I have 5 different room, and i want to stream the music from my mobile device over wifi, and to have different music in each room, or the same in a few rooms etc.

If you have I2C already there (and presumably a DC power supply) why not use I2C controlled relays etc.

On GPIOs, there’s extension cards for Pis, or you can setup another Pi (without openHAB, but running a script to monitor/control its GPIOs) and have openHAB talk MQTT to that Pi. A fairly advanced use of openHAB, but a number of people use it like that.
On your heating, check out this or this.
The rest - well, sure, it all can be done, but there’s so many possibilities, so please do a little homework yourself first and come back with concrete questions. Don’t expect us to guide you through the complete world of home automation.

1 Like

I think the i2c will be to slow for turning lights on/off.