If not sitemaps then what?

It seems to me that the PaperUI will allow for some rudimentary control over things even without items being properly linked to your things. In Paper UI, go to Configuration → Items. Do you see the items you manually defined in Item files? OpenHAB should automatically add any correctly defined items to this page, even the manually configured items in the .items files. That’s the first thing I would check.

The second thing I would check is to see if the channels for your things are property linked to your items. Go to Configuration → Things and then click on the thing you are trying to link to your item. If the item is correctly linked to a channel on the thing, you should see the white circle in the center of the big blue channel circle filled in as opposed to just a white circle outline. If the white circle is not filled in solid white, it means your item is not properly linked to the thing’s channel, which means it won’t work in the sitemap. Keep in mind that some things have multiple channels, and one item binds to exactly one channel.

Notice that each channel lists its fully qualified name underneath the friendly name. For example, one of my Z-Wave things has a channel called “Switch”, and immediately under “Switch” is a fully qualified channel name:

zwave:device:0499e2a4:node4:switch_binary

To link my switch item in my .items file to that channel on that thing, I have this in my .items file:

Switch backyardPatioLightSwitch "Backyard Patio Light" (outdoorLights) { channel="zwave:device:0499e2a4:node4:switch_binary" }

I’m still not real clear on the channel name syntax, but it will be unique based on your discovered Z-Wave thing, so the GUID and node number will be unique to your situation. Hope this helps!

No, it doesn’t. I see nothing in the log file, even when I click the sitemap button which corresponds to this Test_proxy. I thought I replied to that message of yours.

About Chrome developer tools, I was saying that I noticed that when the button is clicked, there is no request sent to the server from the browser. Normally, if you click F12 and go to the Network tab, when clicking a toggle button you need to see there the request sent the server. Like I do when I click the toggle button in the Things page.

[quote=“gatekeeper6838, post:21, topic:22204, full:true”]

I followed @sihui suggestion and tried with a virtual switch, but that doesn’t work either, so it’s not (only)? a things configuration issue.

But since you asked, yes I do wee that white circle in center of the channel.

1 Like

Exactly … and we have to find out whats wrong if even a simple virtual switch does not work.

First thing is: which UI (Basic, Classic) and how did you call it?
There are many ways to call a sitemap, let me give you some examples:

http://<ip_of_your_openhab_server>:8080/basicui/app calls the sitemap which is defined as default in PaperUI->Configuration->Services->UI->BasicUI->Configure->Default Sitemap

If a non existing sitemap is defined, you will see an internally generated sitemap, but I have no details on using that (and it is not recommended because you only see items from 2.x bindings). That is the one you see in HABmin under Sitemap->Home.

http://<ip_of_your_openhab_server>:8080/basicui/app?sitemap=your_sitemap_name

That’s a call for a text defined sitemap with the name your_sitemap_name.sitemap in /conf/sitemaps.

Note that the first line of the sitemap definition always has to match the file name:

sitemap your_sitemap_name label="However you want to call it"

You can do all this stuff also with the classic sitemap.

Ok, so I learned something I didn’t know. How to define the default sitemap for basicui. But it confirms what I know already.

Sitemap definition and item/thing definition are ok since the item (both the virtual test we did and the actual Fibaro switch) work with PaperUI, BasicUI (with the custom sitemap I created) and Classic UI. They also work with Alexa (Hue simulation). The only place they don’t work (actually nothing does) is in the site map page of habmin. I think I should start a new thread for this.

THAT was the information I was looking for!
I never tried the sitemaps in HABmin, but did now: they don’t work for me either.
So it does not make sense to open a new thread, but to raise an issue in the issue tracker :grinning:

Edit: GitHub - openhab/org.openhab.ui.habmin: HABmin - a graphical user interface for openHAB 2

2nd Edit: issue is already open: Habmin sitemap : not triggering events · Issue #180 · openhab/org.openhab.ui.habmin · GitHub

1 Like

Hey guys. Just wanted to pitch in and give my opinion on the initial question.

Sitemaps are not deprecated or dead or anything! They are the base for Basic UI, Smartphone apps (and Classic UI). openHAB gives you the possibility and freedom to access your smart home system in multiple ways. My number 1 interface is Basic UI. I’m using it from the PC mostly while development and on my smartphone as the everyday driver. If I were to install a tablet in the hallway or somewhere I would probably go with Habpanel.

You have the freedom to choose.

1 Like